Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Adapter melted, need a new one, any help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My J1772 Charging Adapter melted, running charge for 8 hours in a work place charging station. Learned my lesson, will have to stop every 4 hours and let it cool down for an hour before start again (could be something wrong in the charging unit).

Need to buy a new one but unable order, test.com keep giving error during check out, tried multiple devices.

Anyone has a spare one wanted to sell? I am in zipcode 48187.

There's no reason the J1772 charging adapter should have melted. Either the adapter was faulty or the charging station was faulty. Either way, someone owes you a new adapter (unless you screwed up and didn't insert the adapter properly). Talk to either the charging station owners (probably them first) or Tesla and ask them about a replacement.

I've purchased two J1772 adapters off eBay in the last 7 months for $49 and $50 (shipping included). Both have worked fine on ChargePoint stations at work. Most I've used one is for two, almost-4 hour each charging sessions back-to-back. No problem so far.

My J1772 Charging Adapter melted, running charge for 8 hours in a work place charging station. Learned my lesson, will have to stop every 4 hours and let it cool down for an hour before start again (could be something wrong in the charging unit).

No, that's definitely the wrong thing to do. If it's getting hot, then you need to stop using it, not pause and wait for it to cool! You need to understand that this could have set your car on fire, or seriously injured you when you unplugged it. No matter whether the plug was at fault or the adapter, the plug is suspect now. You need to let the owners know what happened so they can fix it. For that matter it could have damaged the inlet of your car as well.

I'd be after the owners for any damage or at least cover you adapter replacement.

I charge at 30 amps at work which is 24 mi/hr. I put a tad over 200 miles into my LR RWD the other day over 8.5 hrs. Should not melt. J1772 is good to 80 amps. Model 3 should be able to take up to 48 amps. Which is 38 mi/hr or so. If your battery was completely dead... It would be about 8.5 hrs at 48 amps to reach 325 miles. What current were you pulling?

The car actually charged continuously for 8 hours? I have an adapter which goes overnight no problem, maybe longest charge time has been 6hours though. Feels like something wrong with that charging station...

yes, My home wall connecter goes upto 48 miles per hours and never goes more than 4 to 5 hours. This was on a public charging location and trying to charge full (from 50 to 300 miles), I set the daily limit to the max and left to charge fully for the weekend trip

Need to buy a new one but unable order, test.com keep giving error during check out, tried multiple devices.

Anyone has a spare one wanted to sell? I am in zipcode 48187.

Check your credit card statement. I got multiple errors attempting to order adapters last month. Two copies of the order went through despite the error message - and four of them got billed to the card.

There was another thread about melting adapters. It happened to me and I drove to Tesla service center. As a courtesy they exchanged it for free for first time. Since it’s a part that goes between car and charger, it is not covered under warranty. So if you live close enough and have time, maybe worth your time to drive and be nice to them. Other people had negative experience where Tesla said to pay for adapter. I agree with you, order from Tesla. Good luck.