Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Mobile Charger Capable of 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would avoid random no-name EVSEs. Can't elaborate more right now. Day job takes precendnce. See below.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/att..._iwc_-_evse_safety_analysis-et-1-1-pdf.51197/ which relates to MUSTART CHARGERS DAMAGING CARS.
Agreed. I'm placing a lot of emphasis on high quality (or OEM quality, or OEM or better quality). I don't want to buy a $300 Alibaba-ish EVSE and fry my car when I'm 5 hours from home.

Also, I don't want to set my parent's house on fire. I'm expecting 240V 40A will be generating a bit more heat. 240V 32A generates decent amount of heat on my 32A Tesla Mobile Charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
Advanced Series - 48A/40A - Indoor/Outdoor generally get installed as wall mounted system, but the box is small enough to be portable. I have one of these hard-wired in the garage and have been charging my Model 3 at 40 amps with it.

I think JuiceBox, WattZilla, and maybe a few other vendors also sell similar systems.
This is really neat. But as someone who works in tech, I might buy this for kicks, lol. I wished the form factor was more of a "rope" form factor (opposed to its "Y" form factor) like the Tesla Mobile Connector. Easier to roll up and store.

A few quick points:
  • Stay away from UMCv1 (the one that did 40A), it's a dead product. You do not want an electrical fire and any stock you find will be not only be old but likely used. No support, no replacement. Avoid.
  • CMC (Corded Mobile Connector) is nice but looks like another dead product, I've had an alert set up for over 6 months, never came back.
  • UMCv2 is fine on a 14-50, 32A @ 240V is plenty unless you drive Uber. We have two Teslas and are 100% fine with a single 32A UMCv2; we drive ~100 miles/day between the two cars.
  • Avoid Amazon special 14-50 connectors, all of them other than Clipper Creek & Juicebox. Do not risk an electrical fire on something that's not UL-listed/ETL Certified.
  • 40A is maximum allowed on a 14-50, the 50 part of 14-50 refers to 50A, the max this type of plug is rated for. You can only use 80% of the design limit for safety, 50*80% = 40A. Run fast and run far from anything that advertises 48A on a 14-50.
  • I would stick with UMCv2 @ 32A. If you are really stuck on 40A for that extra 25% in speed, go with a high-quality product. Unfortunately I can't currently recommend a product in this category, the only one I would trust would be one from Clipper Creek and they don't make a portable 14-50 40A connector (I wonder why). If you go to your parents often, you could get something like this — a very high quality product which will do 40A on a 14-50, but is big (not something you'd want to carry in the car with you all the time, although it would fit in the frunk). There is the price, but your parents will thank you for being safe.
  • I would still stick w/ UMCv2, because free. With a Long Range battery, I can't think of a case where timing would be so tight that 32A vs 40A would be critical.

Last edited:
Since I already have the Tesla 32A Mobile Charger, 40A would be a requirement. I currently live in San Jose. Typically, I'd agree with you: 32A is enough at my home and local drive. However, when I arrive or leave (or stop by) my parent's house in Los Angeles, I can use all the charging speed I can get.
Well again, there's nice to have, and there's necessity. I'm assuming that there are a few Superchargers within reach of your parent's house (or en route). I suppose maybe you are trying to save some money and time by avoiding using a Supercharger, but several hundred dollars worth of 40A EVSE is going to get you more than a few Supercharger visits!

When I visit my son or in-laws, I am stuck with 120V, and my in-laws in particular are extremely far from the nearest Supercharger. On my last trip I arrived at their house at about 6pm and had to take a 90 mile round trip excursion the next day at 7am. Sure, it would have been nice to be able to start the day at 100%, but really it wasn't necessary. I just had to plan for that trip and stay at the preceding Supercharger a bit longer than necessary en route to their house. Sure, I probably paid a few bucks extra (turns out the time didn't matter because by the time I went to use the restroom, which was a bit of a walk away, the car had plenty of charge).

Of course that's my situation...everyone's is different.

I was eyeing the Clipper Creek stuff. I'd likely get their dual charger for my home (San Jose) in the future to accommodate my girlfriend's future plug-in Hybrid. However, I want something more "portable" at my parent's house.
Once again, you should consider whether you actually need this or not. Of course you will need a J1772 solution for the PHEV regardless, but speaking from experience (there have been two EVs of various types in my household since 2013), and current owner/user of a dual-headed EVSE (not Clipper Creek, but rather a homebuilt one), we very rarely, if ever, actually need the dual-headed capability.

Our first experience with two EVs was when I had an old LEAF (3.3kW charging) and my wife had a 2013 LEAF (6.6kW charging). Both needed to charge every day. She would plug hers in after work, and it was always full by 9pm at which time I would go plug mine in.

Then she got a Volt which only had 3.3kW charging and despite the smaller battery, was a real slow poke to charge. There were some days when she came home late that it wasn't done before bed. This is when I built the dual-headed EVSE, which was the only time we really needed it.

Eventually I got my Tesla, and she got a Bolt (and now an ID4), and we still use the dual-headed EVSE, but not because we need it (we almost never do), but just because it's the only one we have. Because we typically don't need to charge our vehicles every day, we can easily plug hers in one day and mine the next. I typically plug mine in when I get below 100 miles of range, but given that I don't put that many miles on a day, if I get home and she needs to plug hers in, I can always just wait until the next day to charge mine overnight.

I don't deny it's nice to have just in case, but it would be pretty hard to justify buying a $1000 unit these days when we would almost never use it. Long distance EVs have changed the equations here. Again, everyone's needs are different, but I would ascertain whether you really need it or not before taking the plunge. Sure, a PHEV is definitely a different beast. It probably needs to be charged daily, and if you do so overnight, it definitely consumes the charging station/outlet. But is a dual headed EVSE what you need, or maybe just a second outlet? Something to consider.

Reactions: wornout and Rocky_H
A few quick points:
  • Stay away from UMCv1 (the one that did 40A), it's a dead product. You do not want an electrical fire and any stock you find will be not only be old but likely used. No support, no replacement. Avoid.
  • CMC (Corded Mobile Connector) is nice but looks like another dead product, I've had an alert set up for over 6 months, never came back.
  • UMCv2 is fine on a 14-50, 32A @ 240V is plenty unless you drive Uber. We have two Teslas and are 100% fine with a single 32A UMCv2; we drive ~100 miles/day between the two cars.
  • Avoid Amazon special 14-50 connectors, all of them other than Clipper Creek & Juicebox. Do not risk an electrical fire on something that's not UL-listed/ETL Certified.
  • 40A is maximum allowed on a 14-50, the 50 part of 14-50 refers to 50A, the max this type of plug is rated for. You can only use 80% of the design limit for safety, 50*80% = 40A. Run fast and run far from anything that advertises 48A on a 14-50.
  • I would stick with UMCv2 @ 32A. If you are really stuck on 40A for that extra 25% in speed, go with a high-quality product. Unfortunately I can't currently recommend a product in this category, the only one I would trust would be one from Clipper Creek and they don't make a portable 14-50 40A connector (I wonder why). If you go to your parents often, you could get something like this — a very high quality product which will do 40A on a 14-50, but is big (not something you'd want to carry in the car with you all the time, although it would fit in the frunk). There is the price, but your parents will thank you for being safe.
  • I would still stick w/ UMCv2, because free. With a Long Range battery, I can't think of a case where timing would be so tight that 32A vs 40A would be critical.
  • I saw someone post on TMC that the CMC came into stock briefly. Sadly, I missed it. For $200, it's a no brainer.
  • Yep, I'm eyeing a high quality product so I don't fry anything on my car or start a house fire. UL listed, current AWG, etc... Worst case, I can pick up a NEMA 14-50 Clipper Creek, Wallbox Pulsar, Grizzl-E Mini, etc... It would be nice to have an 40A in-cable EVSE charger (like the CMC) that is J1772.
  • For me, I stopped by my parent's house for ~1 hour to do tech support. I had a 5 hour drive immediately after that. It was a hot 95F day. With 40A, it would have been nice to pick up an extra 30 miles of range and have the AC running. But with 32A, I picked up like 20 miles of range as the AC was running. I'm doing this more and more often (quick 1 hour stops before a 5 hour drive) so I'm willing to spend ~$500 for that extra 25% in speed, lol.

Last edited:
Well again, there's nice to have, and there's necessity. I'm assuming that there are a few Superchargers within reach of your parent's house (or en route). I suppose maybe you are trying to save some money and time by avoiding using a Supercharger, but several hundred dollars worth of 40A EVSE is going to get you more than a few Supercharger visits!

When I visit my son or in-laws, I am stuck with 120V, and my in-laws in particular are extremely far from the nearest Supercharger. On my last trip I arrived at their house at about 6pm and had to take a 90 mile round trip excursion the next day at 7am. Sure, it would have been nice to be able to start the day at 100%, but really it wasn't necessary. I just had to plan for that trip and stay at the preceding Supercharger a bit longer than necessary en route to their house. Sure, I probably paid a few bucks extra (turns out the time didn't matter because by the time I went to use the restroom, which was a bit of a walk away, the car had plenty of charge).

Of course that's my situation...everyone's is different.

Once again, you should consider whether you actually need this or not. Of course you will need a J1772 solution for the PHEV regardless, but speaking from experience (there have been two EVs of various types in my household since 2013), and current owner/user of a dual-headed EVSE (not Clipper Creek, but rather a homebuilt one), we very rarely, if ever, actually need the dual-headed capability.

Our first experience with two EVs was when I had an old LEAF (3.3kW charging) and my wife had a 2013 LEAF (6.6kW charging). Both needed to charge every day. She would plug hers in after work, and it was always full by 9pm at which time I would go plug mine in.

Then she got a Volt which only had 3.3kW charging and despite the smaller battery, was a real slow poke to charge. There were some days when she came home late that it wasn't done before bed. This is when I built the dual-headed EVSE, which was the only time we really needed it.

Eventually I got my Tesla, and she got a Bolt (and now an ID4), and we still use the dual-headed EVSE, but not because we need it (we almost never do), but just because it's the only one we have. Because we typically don't need to charge our vehicles every day, we can easily plug hers in one day and mine the next. I typically plug mine in when I get below 100 miles of range, but given that I don't put that many miles on a day, if I get home and she needs to plug hers in, I can always just wait until the next day to charge mine overnight.

I don't deny it's nice to have just in case, but it would be pretty hard to justify buying a $1000 unit these days when we would almost never use it. Long distance EVs have changed the equations here. Again, everyone's needs are different, but I would ascertain whether you really need it or not before taking the plunge. Sure, a PHEV is definitely a different beast. It probably needs to be charged daily, and if you do so overnight, it definitely consumes the charging station/outlet. But is a dual headed EVSE what you need, or maybe just a second outlet? Something to consider.
Totally fair that the ROI for spending $500 for an extra 8A probably isn't there, lol. For me... it's just a long drive (5 hours between LA and SJ) and anything that can minimize charging time (or reach the slightly further 250kw v3 Supercharger) can be worth it. The $200 40A CMC is totally worth it. If I can find a high-quality portable NEMA 14-50 40A J1772 EVSE for ~$500, it can be worth it as I drive monthly/bi-monthly to check in on elder parents. I've been making this drive since the pandemic and I don't see the pandemic ending anytime soon, lol.

On the PHEV, your argument is totally fair. I was actually considering a second outlet. It would charge faster. A second outlet next to the panel would be easier for cable management. It's just a dual headed Clipper is an easier and cleaner plug-and-play solution as my house came pre-wired for 50A.

Are you me? This is exactly how I feel. CMC is the ultimate 14-50 solution IMO, almost as fast as a WC while keeping that 14-50 flexibility 😜
Hahaha. It is! Generally, I prefer hardwire solutions for my home. But for locations not my home (i.e. parent's house), I prefer NEMA 14-50. And since their home is 5 hours away, that 40A comes in handy.

Just the other weekend, I did a quick stop at their house to fix the printer. I picked up an extra 20 miles of range (while keeping the AC running on a super hot day). That 20 miles helped me get to a V3 SuperCharger (Firebaugh) on fumes. Otherwise, I'd have to stop at Harris Ranch (V2).

I totally get it from the other replies: ROI for 40A might not be there when you can pick that up at SuperCharger in minutes. It's a long drive for me, I can multitask and charge L2, and I prefer stopping as short as possible. 🤷‍♂️

FYI, this popped up on Amazon for sale: Amazon.com

I purchased. I was waiting for the Grizzl-E Mini ($400) and Tesla's $200 Corded Mobile Connector for awhile. I was expecting the J+ Booster 2 to be priced at $1000+ (like their European online store). So I was "pleasantly surprised" it was "only" $625, lol. I felt J+ Booster 2 was superior as it has interchangeable adapters (as well as UL listed, 40A, etc...).

Reactions: APotatoGod
That comment didn't age well, did it? ;)
If you are referring to yet another major automobile manufacturer (Honda, a few days ago) opting to transition to installing a NACS charge port in their EVs in the near future, that may not apply. Adopting NACS is essentially meant for DC Fast charging, with L2 usage (i.e., J1772) a distant second place. Everybody who installs a NACS port also allows for AC charging since I believe it's in the standards documentation. Being able to use a J1772 handle on a NACS-equipped vehicle just means that one has to use a simple J1772-to-Tesla (NACS) adapter that's been around for years.