Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the car have EU charge port? I heard a little bit of rumor that Japanese cars might have EU style port. I don't know why.

The car in the picture has the steering wheel on the wrong side for Japan. I wonder if UK + JP will get the same charge options. There are hundreds of CHaMEDO chargers already installed in the UK, and it is the de-facto standard in JP. Would be nice to have access to those as well as the supercharger network for fast charging. Is that asking too much? :)

Japan will have RHD only, according to Tesla employee. It seems that in Japanese market we have very different buyers compared to other foreign cars. I've seen about half of foreign car buyers here choose LHD if available by manufacturer.

Also it's confirmed that we will have European style vehicle connector. So we'll need a different J1772 adapter in addition to CHAdeMO adapter.

こんにちは~~

During my leisure trip to Kyoto two weeks ago, I spotted two Teslas in front of the Chion-in (知恩院).

I took the first photo when I just arrived there, and the Teslas were not there yet.
IMAG0754.jpg

After I've spent about 30-45 minutes inside Chion-in taking photos of the red autumn leaves (koyo), I was walking downstairs and then the two Teslas were there!
IMAG0755.jpg

I wondered where were the sales associates... I stayed there for another 5 minutes and finally a Japanese lady approached to me and turns out she is a staff from Tesla. We chatted a bit, knowing that Tesla was going to bring in the first Model S in a week (which they did!!) for test drive. The lady also told me that if I have a Japanese driver license (I don't.... :*( ), then I can take a test drive around the town.

I then pulled out my smartphone and showed her the Tesla app with my P85. She seemed excited to see a TMS garaged in California US but its stats were displayed on a cellphone being used in Japan! I'm regret that I didn't take a photo with her. =P

Hi, tmcdc! Welcome to the forum!

Yes they are touring all overJapan esp Kyoto and Osaka area as they are a part of Japan with luxuary car buyers, with lower rate of condo dwellers than Tokyo. Condos with mechanical parkings are common in Tokyo (as myself) and they are usually too small for Model S.

Tesla is showing off seven (!!) cars from today at Tokyo Motor Show. I plan to visit a separate exihibiition of EVs there, and have my friend test drive P85+. I also some FCVs are exhausting water in the demo section so I'll watch that too.

Hi, hiroshiy. I'm from the HK forum actually. Just received Tesla's pricing for HK yesterday so I'm curious if Tesla also announced the pricing for Japan simultaneously. From your last post, they did. How much is the non-Signature 85kWh Performance there in Japan? What is the deadline to finalise your configuration and order for Japan? Did Tesla say they will be rolling out Superchargers in Japan?

Hi, CCT,
Good to hear they announced HK pricing as well! Here're non Signature model pricings, source from Tesla communication email:

60 kWh 8,230,000
85 kWh 9,330,000
85kWh Performance 10,818,000

I'm not sure when the deadline is; my guess is that if you finalize later you'll get your car later.
I once heard no plans for Superchargers in Japan. I personally think they should work with CHAdeMO association to suggest 100kW and 135kW versions of chargers. 50kW is not only enough for 85kWh model S, but it will make the waiting line for chargers much longer, possibly causing bad press for Tesla monopolyzing public chargers for a long time.

Thanks hiroshiy for your info.

The HK prices are slightly cheaper as I'd think it is because HK is tax free currently on EVs.

We are having some charging issues in HK also, probably more so than in Japan. Currently, there are a very limited number of public DC fast charging stations in HK, and most others are slow ones like 220@13A, with several exceptions @32A. We also have a few CHAdeMO ones that are 50kW. And since most HKers live in apartment estates, installing a charging outlet in the estate parking lot is going to be a very challenging task i.e. you need to get the owner of your parking space to approve (if you're renting a space), get estate owners committee to approve, the management company to approve...

The only fortunate thing might be that Tesla will be building Superchargers in HK so that will save a lot of troubles in the future.