Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I've got to ask - why?

To get more global media attention (altogether).

Therefore, I think that it would be better to spread it out over two different days in the same month, instead of doing it on the same day.

It's better to have some positive media attention every now and then.

Frequent and positive media attention is more valuable than all the money that you can spend on advertising.

Do you remember the announcements of Elon Musk in 2013?

He didn't do it all on the same day, instead he spread it out over several months.

During that period Tesla Motors was almost always in the news.

That was very good.

Do you know how many followers he has on twitter? Currently 816k, and that number is increasing every day.

He should do something similar in 2015.

By the way, I never meant to delay the arrival of your Tesla Model S.

I heard the following from my DS. Nothing significantly seems to change yet.

The first delivery to Japan will be in September or at the latest, October. Not necessary at the end of September. (sounded like it could be earlier)
The first cars would be all signatures.
My car will be hopefully in the first batch. (my sequence number is between 30 and 40 so at least 40 cars, perhaps more?)
They still don't know whether they will have the delivery event or not.

Just received an official invitation letter from Tesla for the launch and party.

- The launch date is September 8th (Monday)
- Gallery will be open to reservation holders and maybe some press?, at Roppongi Hills Tokyo City View, which is on the 52nd floor(!!)
http://mice.roppongihills.com/ja/facility/tcv/venue/sg1
- After that, the launch party will be held at Grand Hyatt Tokyo, next to Tokyo City View, 3F ball room
- There will be some first delivery cars, available to pick up (that means those cars will be in B1F, hotel car entrance)
- Elon Musk will hand the keys to the owners(!!)
- Supercharger will be "unveiled" (sorry! that's what the letter said in Japanese! didn't understand what it means - it might mean that they show non-working equipment on display, or they've decided to put one in Grand Hyatt Tokyo, or show a picture of Supercharger under construction somewhere in Japan? just my wild guess)

That's it! Hope Tesla contacted a lot of media to cover this event; until now, Japanese media seemed to be very reluctant to deliver Tesla related information. There are so many obstacles here in Japan for Model S such as size, apartment charging, but I believe the public will understand and overcome those. Model S is such a great car.

That is very good news! They have installed Superchargers in both Hyatt Hotels in the UK, along with the world's first Valet charging(!) in the London Hyatt, so there is a good bet that you'll find a couple hiding down in the car park on the 8th Sept... :)

Hi, J1mbo: I hope your guess is right! However the hotel curb itself is located underground connected via circular tunnel (left in the pic), and it is definitely not very big.
http://sinryu.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_d95/sinryu/IMG_7183-73d4e.JPG?c=a0
Somebody's blog. You can see some big lighted holes in the far back, those are actual mechanical partings of the hotel. Ferraris and Porches will park on the ground, other normal cars go to mechanical parking and disappear! Hope Teslas stay on the ground... So if Tesla has Superchargers on the ground it's going to be a significant space commitment for Tesla.

Just received an official invitation letter from Tesla for the launch and party.

- The launch date is September 8th (Monday)
- Gallery will be open to reservation holders and maybe some press?, at Roppongi Hills Tokyo City View, which is on the 52nd floor(!!)
http://mice.roppongihills.com/ja/facility/tcv/venue/sg1
- After that, the launch party will be held at Grand Hyatt Tokyo, next to Tokyo City View, 3F ball room
- There will be some first delivery cars, available to pick up (that means those cars will be in B1F, hotel car entrance)
- Elon Musk will hand the keys to the owners(!!)
- Supercharger will be "unveiled" (sorry! that's what the letter said in Japanese! didn't understand what it means - it might mean that they show non-working equipment on display, or they've decided to put one in Grand Hyatt Tokyo, or show a picture of Supercharger under construction somewhere in Japan? just my wild guess)

That's it! Hope Tesla contacted a lot of media to cover this event; until now, Japanese media seemed to be very reluctant to deliver Tesla related information. There are so many obstacles here in Japan for Model S such as size, apartment charging, but I believe the public will understand and overcome those. Model S is such a great car.

This is great news, Hiroshi! You must be very excited to finally get your Model S. Can't wait to see them running around Japan on my next trip there (hopefully next year)!

Thanks, StephenM! Drop me a note when you're here. Tesla Friend Network - TFN.

So preparing the delivery, I reserved my first wrapping for my Model S. It seems to cost a little bit over $9000 for a full wrap - I know it is too expensive but I'll give it a try. In any case everything is expensive here :)

There are two reasons for wrapping:
1. It saves my time to detail / wax the car every few months. No actually I just wait and have someone detail (I'm lazy) but still.
2. Better protect the paint and body. Even on the (maybe worlds cleanest?) Japanese road, I still get some rock chips. Also prevent scratches from keying by some folks. In Japan we say "coining" rather than keying though.

56b91de2e29da750fccfb0c2a07ad2e7.jpg

Invitation for the Japan launch party, which will be held at Grand Hyatt Tokyo on September 8th. Elon Musk is coming. Prior to the party Tesla will be showing off Model Ss to press and invited people at Roppongi Hills Tokyo City View on the 52nd floor. The highest car show in the world?

The picture is the invitation letter (not personalized unfortunately) and a 18650-like cell, which is just a metal cylinder and not an actual battery. All in a white box like that of an iPhone.

Seems it'll be an exciting launch for you guys in Japan, hiroshiy! I still remember visiting the Mori Museum and the superb TCV deck in Toyko many years ago in a bright summer day! The panoramic view of Tokyo is truly breathtaking.

Elon didn't come to HK, I guess spending time in Japan makes much more business sense. A lot of parts suppliers, partners and Panasonic, etc. And Japan is a much bigger market too. Nice invitation pack you got there also. Don't think we had that for our launch in HK back in July..

I still remember visiting the Mori Museum and the superb TCV deck in Toyko many years ago in a bright summer day! The panoramic view of Tokyo is truly breathtaking.

Yes, I believe the shot of Model S in the sky with buildings below must be exciting! Ferrari did a car show on this 52nd floor lounge. It will be a memorable day for Tesla.

Elon didn't come to HK, I guess spending time in Japan makes much more business sense. A lot of parts suppliers, partners and Panasonic, etc. And Japan is a much bigger market too.
Japan might not be a bigger market - after all Model S is too wide so doesn't fit in most mechanical parkings, and the condo problem.

Nice invitation pack you got there also. Don't think we had that for our launch in HK back in July..
Yeah I was impressed. But again Japanese are much more conservative than people in ROW, so some people might feel the invitation is too casual. At least Tesla could personalize the letter. I admit we are such difficult people :)