Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno roadster 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leno really seems to enjoy the Roadster 2.5, he commented on how quite it is and how he likes not having to worry about the range.

It was also funny that the camera car had to stop for gas while they were driving. :tongue:

Some of those answers to Jay's questioned seemed a little off to me.

Jay kept asking if it had a temp gauge and if things warm up when you drive it hard.
The answer was basically "no, not in standard mode", but I think the pack, motor and PEM can get hotter if you drive it really hard on a hot day, right? Well I guess it is right that it isn't like an ICE car so doesn't go from ambient up to near boiling every time you run it, but it can still warm up somewhat I think.

Q: Your range would vary based on cold or hot weather?
A: No, it stays the same.
Doesn't the range of the Roadster suffer somewhat on really cold and/or really hot days?
And not just based on driver use of A/C or heat... The car itself uses more energy, reducing range, when it has to work harder to keep the battery pack at desired temps. Some mention was made of 12amp max load for accessories, but 500amps max for acceleration. Yes, 12 is a small fraction of 500, but the 12amp load could be continuous whereas the 500 would be in short bursts.

I think the Tesla rep steered the warming-up question towards the battery and (probably rightfully so) said that the battery pack remains at an almost constant temperature.
I also noticed the 12 amps remark which at 400V amounts to 4800W. With a typical 2-3kW heater that sounds about right. But 4800W is rather significant compared to 15/20kW highway driving (20-25%). For city driving it's even worse.

Kudos to Jay, not so to Tesla.

Jay kept asking if it had a temp gauge and if things warm up when you drive it hard.
The answer was basically "no, not in standard mode", but I think the pack, motor and PEM can get hotter if you drive it really hard on a hot day, right? .

Driving (2008) stop and go in the valley the car does get hot and has a gauge to show that. The front fans kick on to cool the fluids running through the radiator but at those temps 110+ in stop and go traffic the car could never "cool" the battery to be happy. (unlike an ICE) The car was not dead though, it would just reduce power. Back on the highway it seems happier. Perhaps because it's not spending energy to run the fans? At night falls the air cools and normal acceleration is returned. No range data.

Some mention was made of 12amp max load for accessories, but 500amps max for acceleration. Yes, 12 is a small fraction of 500, but the 12amp load could be continuous whereas the 500 would be in short bursts.

Yep, she's just spinning the numbers. But it's true, the accessory junk is not all that bad on range.

Yep, she's just spinning the numbers. But it's true, the accessory junk is not all that bad on range.

Not true. Running the heat drops the range quite a bit, maybe 20-30% depending on how fast you're driving. We had a thread on this earlier, and I measured the effect of the heater, and when it's cranked it's drawing nearly 4kW which is a big deal. The A/C isn't quite so bad, and nothing else (lights, fan, radio, seat warmers) makes a noticable difference.

I also noticed the 12 amps remark which at 400V amounts to 4800W. With a typical 2-3kW heater that sounds about right. But 4800W is rather significant compared to 15/20kW highway driving (20-25%). For city driving it's even worse.

Most of the accessories probably run on standard 12/24 or even 48 V dc which is standard in the US auto market. There is reason to power a radio or headlights with 400V. 12A x 12V=144Watts.

Typical Hybrids on the market now have two or three commonly used voltages.

Jay is legend in the car world but he echos the thoughts of many of my colleagues and other enthusiasts when it comes to dealing with EVs. Dealing with the computer controls and equipment is more like taking care of a laptop than a car.