Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JD Power releases BS "study" to claim that public does not want EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Here are the relevant results of the survey:

5,749 consumers who were asked about self-driving vehicles.
5,270 consumers who were asked about all-electric cars.

Autonomous Vehicles:
71% of the study’s respondents were most worried about tech failures.
57% were concerned about the possibility of the cars getting hacked.
68% of the study’s respondents admitted that they had “little to no knowledge about self-driving vehicles."

Electric Vehicles:
64% of respondents have concerns about charging infrastructure
77% expect electric vehicles to have a range of at least 300 miles
74% state that they were unwilling to wait more than 30 minutes to replenish 200 miles of range in a charging station.

Only 39% of the respondents were likely to purchase an electric vehicle
49% expressed concerns about the reliability of EVs compared to gas-powered cars.
68% stated that they had no experience with EVs at all, with some admitting that they have never sat inside an electric car.
"
JD Power study claims Tesla and other EVs, autonomous driving tech, are not wanted by consumers

I feel like the conclusion of the survey is wrong. It's not that the public is not interested. To me, this survey illustrates the lack of information. Most people are still woefully uninformed about EVs and AV's. The survey itself bears this out because 68% of the respondents admitted to knowing little to nothing about EVs. So basically, the survey asked a bunch of people who don't know anything about EVs! WOW!

If anything, this survey proves that we need to do more to educate people. I think if people were better informed, they would gladly buy an electric car. This is illustrated by Tesla's positive Model 3 sales. Clearly, there is enthusiasm for the Model 3. So the idea that the public is not interested in EVs is total BS.

If this survey says 39% consumers are likely (or even willing to consider) an EV then things are looking bright.

In 2007 if you had asked consumers if they would ever use a smartphone without a physical keyboard...

Yeah 39% is actually a big improvement. But I guess JD Power is trying to spin it as a negative because they think it should be higher.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Many people discount all the time wasted diverting to gas stations and filling up on a weekly basis (plus sitting around on oil changes every 3-5k miles etc). They focus on having to stop to charge an EV on trips.

I tell them as long as their situation enables home charging, they are waaaayyy ahead on time wasted/inconvenience spent fueling with an EV vs a gas car.

If they drive more than 200 miles a day really often or don't have home charging capability, I'm honest and say an EV will be less convenient but maybe still worthwhile for the gas savings and other advantages.

Many people discount all the time wasted diverting to gas stations and filling up on a weekly basis (plus sitting around on oil changes every 3-5k miles etc). They focus on having to stop to charge an EV on trips.

I tell them as long as their situation enables home charging, they are waaaayyy ahead on time wasted/inconvenience spent fueling with an EV vs a gas car.

If they drive more than 200 miles a day really often or don't have home charging capability, I'm honest and say an EV will be less convenient but maybe still worthwhile for the gas savings and other advantages.

Exactly, and the fact that with tanking gas you are actually doing it which costs time. With charging a car you just plug it in and go do something else (eating, sleeping, writing report, walking dog or whatever..)

Reactions: willow_hiller
FWIW, I recently saw some articles from Consumer Reports on this issue. Here's one:

New survey shows strong support for electric vehicles across economic spectrum

A quote from that page:

Consumer Reports said:
The survey, conducted by Consumer Reports (CR) and the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), shows that 63 percent of prospective car buyers in America have some interest in electric vehicles. Breaking this down, 31 percent would consider one for their next purchase, 27 percent would consider one at some point down the road, and 5 percent say they are definitely planning on buying or leasing one for their next vehicle. This later number would mark a big escalation in electric car purchases in the U.S., which made up about two percent of new car purchases in 2018.

This presentation is a bit more positive -- "63 percent... have some interest in electric vehicles" vs. "likelihood of purchasing an electric vehicle (39)" (from the JD Power press release); however, CR's 63% represents "some interest" in an EV whereas JD Power's 39% represents a "likelihood of purchasing" an EV. There's a lot of room between "some interest" and "likely to purchase," so the 63% vs. 39% gap seems reasonable. As usual in survey research, details of wording can have a big impact on the results. Neither source has provided the exact wording of the survey questions, at least not on the Web pages I found, so we can only hope that the wording in the surveys was close to the wording they used to describe the surveys.

Also, the last sentence I've quoted from CR carries a big implication: If 5% of consumers really plan to buy an EV soon, then that's a huge increase in EV market share compared to what it is today (1.3%, IIRC). It'll take time to build the battery manufacturing capacity, design new EVs, etc., to get much beyond where we are now. If demand is ahead of that curve, then that could lead to consumer frustration at lack of choices, high prices, etc.

I agree that these results reflect more of a gap in knowledge among consumers than informed consumer sentiment. That gap is likely to narrow as people who don't own EVs talk to their friends and neighbors who do own EVs, and especially as those friends' and neighbors' EVs become more capable -- a modern Model 3, or even a Hyundai Kona, is far more capable than a first-generation Nissan Leaf. Advertising and PR efforts can help, too, and with automakers beginning to advertise EVs, that will help reduce consumer misunderstandings. (OTOH, with automakers like Toyota pushing their "self-charging" nonsense, the waters can be muddied.)

You have to wonder just who the 5K consumers are, as events I've been to don't indicate that low a percentage.

What sort of events are these? If they're National Drive Electric events or the like, you've got a huge self-selection bias. Even generic auto shows will have a bias, since the attendees are more likely to be well-educated about cars generally. The JD Power and CR/UCS surveys were likely done using properly randomized samples of the population at large ("population" in this case being people likely to buy cars).

What sort of events are these? If they're National Drive Electric events or the like, you've got a huge self-selection bias. Even generic auto shows will have a bias, since the attendees are more likely to be well-educated about cars generally. The JD Power and CR/UCS surveys were likely done using properly randomized samples of the population at large ("population" in this case being people likely to buy cars).
Some are like that, but others are just outside office building where people pass by on their way to work or out to lunch. They didn't pass by because they particularly wanted to see the event.

Most surveys are done in one specific area (State or City) so the results clearly do not represent the proper average population choices. Also, those areas are often strategically chosen because they know that area will predominantly choose an answer that accommodates the survey results they want to publish. This explains why many surveys (like before elections) often do not reflect the actual end results. They are intentionally "fabricated" in order to convince the rest of the population to go with the supposed mainstream.

Our ongoing mission should be to educate as many consumers as possible about the benefits of EV cars. Show our beautiful cars, give test drives, answer questions and outline the FUD. In due time there will be more and more of us spreading the news and it will get easier over time.

In Musk we Trust.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Exactly, and the fact that with tanking gas you are actually doing it which costs time. With charging a car you just plug it in and go do something else (eating, sleeping, writing report, walking dog or whatever..)

For the most part this is correct. I tell folks that a under 400mile trip with one meal the travel time is the same as gas, longer than that I admit it will add time but I do express that it will be a more relaxed pace.

Honesty is what is needed, not the drum beat of sycophants raging on how evil gas is and how gas stations suck up at least three hours a week of your time.

People are often impressed when I say my car has 250mile range and even more so when I tell them the new are up to 370miles.

They also appreciate the honesty when they ask about maintenance and I say no oil changes but the rest of it is "just another car".

Barely on topic, but we experienced our first 150kw charge stop the other day. Wife went in to pee and grabbed a couple snacks from the convenience store and car was already charged up to complete the next leg.

Made me think 250kw will probably convert a lot of "I want to drive 600 miles without stops" folks.

Yeah 39% is actually a big improvement.

39% is massive (IMO) given that its a new product that hasn't really been advertised. Moreover, most EV's that folks have seen are mostly butt-ugly (you know who you are) and tiny. Once folks see SUVs (waiting on you, model Y) as well as e-trucks on the roads, that % will climb significantly. The point is that SUV's and trucks are the biggest sellers and, since no one has seen an electric version of either yet, it should be no surprise that more than half of the folks say, not ev yet.

Reactions: diplomat33
Misinformation comes from many sources.....media, car manufacturers, dealerships, and one of the biggest sources that spread misinformation is of course the oil companies and lobbyists. Every EV sold takes money out of their pockets. Once a couple of the big 3 actually get serious about electric things might change but we have yet to see any substantial oem jump into electric vehicles, and I know they keep saying by 2020 blah blah blah.

Reactions: E Dizzle
JD Power rating system penalizes a new model that has new electronics that customers need to learn to use even though the electronics work. There was/is no defect that the owner needs to take vehicle in for repair. The JD Power rating system is garbage but it would not matter except the media press over blows it because it involves Tesla.

When the same bad JD Power rating system gave new pickup trucks a bad name the media press shout people would stop buy or avoid buying pickups.

New Technology Upgrades Are Costing Truck Segment Strong Reliability Ratings
May 23, 2017 by Zac Estrada, @zacestrada
New Technology Upgrades Are Costing Truck Segment Strong Reliability Ratings | Trucks.com

Reactions: Rocky_H
JD will bend over and take it in from whoever pays better, mercenaries to the bone with a reputation to uphold. Right now Big Three and Big Oil are using their last dollars on political and consumer drives to discredit EVs rather than seriously invest in them. Between their half baked products (Prius and Taycan exempt) with software and battery failures and fires and on-road strandings they are doing their best to kaput the idea. The so-called "Tesla killer" remains a myth, Taycan excluded for double the price and half the practicality, relinquished to the Country Club forays of corparate predators and stock market speculators.

Meanwhile the Supercharger network is mushrooming across the US making every Tesla owner able to criss cross the country even through the most remote areas without worries and awkward low battery arrivals at one stall often defective and located in scary hoods Combo CCS/ChadeMo stations.

And yes, Tesla service kinda went down, but people still get repairs and the ovewhelming majority of owner have never been left stranded on the road by their car.

People now have ad blockers, fewer and fewer watch infomercialized cable and satellite, and it is getting harder and harder for corporations to blow smokescreens around their failure to adapt to progress.

Last edited:
JD will bend over and take it in from whoever pays better, mercenaries to the bone with a reputation to uphold. Right now Big Three and Big Oil are using their last dollars on political and consumer drives to discredit EVs rather than seriously invest in them. Between their half baked products (Prius and Taycan exempt) with software and battery failures and fires and on-road strandings they are doing their best to kaput the idea. The so-called "Tesla killer" remains a myth, Taycan excluded for double the price and half the practicality, relinquished to the Country Club forays of corparate predators and stock market speculators.

Meanwhile the Supercharger network is mushrooming across the US making every Tesla owner able to criss cross the country even through the most remote areas without worries and awkward low battery arrivals at one stall often defective and located in scary hoods Combo CCS/ChadeMo stations.

And yes, Tesla service kinda went down, but people still get repairs and the ovewhelming majority of owner have never been left stranded on the road by their car. People now have ad blockers, fewer and fewer watch infomercialized cable and satellite, and it is getting harder and harder for corporations to blow smokescreens around their failure to adapt to progress.

The Truth... JD Power is bought and paid for by the legacy auto companies.