TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jerk who interrupts others charging to get higher amps

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by deku, Mar 31, 2016.

1. deku

deku Member

#1 deku, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
    Jerk at panda hotel tsuen wan

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  2. Metalbird

Metalbird Member

How would he interrupt charging on a supercharger? Normally the cable is locked into the port.

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Press the button, will stop the charge and start again directly. With lower power though.

4. Metalbird

Metalbird Member

You mean the ramp up of amperage when it checks the connection? Or consistently low output?

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

There is an A and B side to each SuperCharger such that two cars can be charged using one physical supercharger stack. The first that plugs in gets the lion's share of the available power until that car's needs taper at which point the second of the two car's available charge power increases. If someone is pulling 80KW from the SC when you pull up, you take the second stall then interrupt their charging momentarily you can become the priority vehicle and screw the other gal/guy.

It takes all types.

• Informative x 1
  6. Optic

Optic Member

Metalbird, please see Got kicked off a SuperCharger... | Page 2 | Tesla Motors.

Same thing happened to me at olympic a few nights ago. Those commercial drivers.

Their licence plates were HU66 and TZ3345.

I was lined up first, then HU came along, then TZ3345. TZ asked if he could skip the queue as he has to "work", of course I said no. TZ being a douche, the whole time, was parked on the road way and not in a parking spot as he waited, thus making it difficult for me to park. I took the next spot, then 5minutes later I get a "charging interrupted" message. Sure enough, TZ is now parked to my side. HU66 and TZ3345 are friends and now both smoking in front of the chargers.

This is just bad for super charging ecosystem. Shopping malls DO NOT want these type of customers who are there to just get electrons and not spend money. It will be harder for Teslas to get more charging spots if the super charging equals taxi drivers. Tesla super chargers are not made for this type of usage.

7. Metalbird

Metalbird Member

Ah OK. I knew about the shared chargers but thought they would balance automatically and not prioritize. Thanks for the explanation :)

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

No worries.
    Its a neat system as it allows one car to taper down at end of charge while the second to arrive (presumably at a lower SoC) gets the big hit. Seems efficient.

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Wow, I hope this doesn't catch on in the states - I could see folks who figure it out prioritizing themselves on a shared charger. Some people are just asshats.

I hope Tesla corrects the issue via software. Someone else shouldn't be able to de-prioritize my car. I could totally see a charger button war, though LOL. Your button gets pressed - you walk back to your car and press their button, they walk back and press yours - mayhem ensues.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Are you sure he was being a Jerk? I've seen discussions on the chat groups about people recommending you press that button to see if the other car has finished charging or not.

11. Optic

Optic Member

And that is how one becomes a jerk. It is bad etiquette to touch other people's cable. What does it do? If the car is being a douche, it doesn't tell them to get back to their car. It does nothing but to satisfy one's curiosity.

12. mattse

mattse Member

more to come when we have model 3 =.=''''

anyway, have you let tesla know about it? they may not / may not be able to do anything about it now, but i believe the more we report, one day someone from their side will come up with a solution

13. 808?

808? Member

Install car cams to catch this asshats.

14. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The issue we are seeing is that some people are over-staying at public charging (supercharging, etc). We've had ridiculous cases of people parking their cars at Superchargers, overnight. Literally. The current level of enforcement of public charging regulations, and even the level of regulation, is pitiful and unacceptable. That is generating a lot of frustration in the community. A lot of blame. A lot of seeking of evidence. A lot of misunderstanding.

For example, we've seen people see a car parked, not charging, and blame the owner for blocking the charging spot. The truth later comes out that the owner parked, tried to charge, found the charger broken, so went to report it to the car park management.

Another example is the case where an owner turned up to find all the charging slots occupied by cars not actually charging, but plugged in. So, he unplugged one car and plugged the cord into his own. The first car's owner came back and went ballistic because he assumed his charge had been interrupted by the new car, by unplugging him during his charge. The truth was that the charger circuit had tripped.

And that is just for EV owners. We've also got the issue of ICE vehicles parking in EV charging spots. Some deliberately. Some due to the ridiculously unenforceable concept of 'EV priority'.

So many of these examples happening everyday here, and elsewhere.

Personally, I think we need to step back and take a deep breath. Let's try to educate the community (particularly new members) that these are EV charging spots, not privileged parking spots, and it would be helpful for other drivers needing a charge if we could move our cars once we have enough charge. In general, I feel that we're being too quick to jump to blame.

That said, I speak from the privileged position (for Hong Kong, anyway) of having the capability of charging at my home. I have no idea of the actual reason for this 'jerk' action, or thinking behind it. Just putting forward the background information for why it _might_ have happened. I'm specifically trying not to jump to blame.

• Like x 2
  15. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

great... now we're gonna see fist fights and damaged cars at SC's once the 3 comes out :(

I would be in support of a daily cap of using a single SC for an hour or something. The juice would definitely be enough to get you home for sure.

16. Mikischu

Mikischu Member

Once again the selfishness of some HK people comes to light.

It's a shame since a large portion of the HK owners group is a great, close knit, helpful and friendly community.

17. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

While this may be true, it should stated that the pricing of the model 3 makes it an EV accessible to a MUCH greater number of HK people, people that may not have the convenience of charging at their place of residence nor may share the friendliness that the community is known for.

Not trying to say people from more modest means are rude, but early adopters know very clearly what they were getting into in terms of charging when they bought their car and I would gamble that many don't use SC as a primary/ sole source of charge.

18. Mikischu

Mikischu Member

FequalsMA, I really hope this is a wrong prediction, but sadly I suspect that you are going to be correct.

Everyone in HK is taught from a young age to be competitive. Even in the class room, its not enough to do well, but the schools have to rank the children and publish the lists. Ingraining the need to be number 1 really causes antisocial behaviour.
    /end rant

19. Vmax

Vmax Member

As I wrote several times on this forum, charging depending on superchargers will not be sustainable in HK, even with the best efforts of Tesla to build more and the EV community with charging etiquette. If (hopefully) there remains a big difference between FRT of EVs and ICEs in future, the Model 3 will sell like hot cakes here. There is no way superchargers can keep up with that. The only way out of this dilemma is legislation, requiring owner committees and building managements to accept any charger installation as long as the applicant is bearing the cost.

• Like x 3
  20. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Hot cakes is an understatement.

Assuming FRT waiver stays in place and Tesla can keep the price at the equivalent of 40-50k USD it would heavily undercut ICE competitors and make radical change to the ICE and EV (and related infrastructure) here.

Two big factors holding back Tesla penetration in the US market is that ICE cars and fuel are both relatively cheap) with plenty of choice. We don't have those luxuries in HK

While HK is not a major global auto market, I look forward to the manufacturers/ distributors quiver as their profits and market share drop.