Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jersey City Condo Tesla Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you are Tesla owners that live in a condo in Jersey City.

I am at 77 Hudson Street and was hoping to get a better understanding how you guys are charging. I've spoken with management and at this time, 77 Hudson will not let me setup a charging solution in my parking spot.

I lived in Jersey City for a while in a condo wth the Model X. We kept the car parked in a garage which did not have any charging options. I would usually charge at the charge points on 1st and Bay. There are two dedicated to the public and usually open. Otherwise when going long distance would try to top up at the supercharger on the way back and skip charging in Jersey City altogether.

I would usually just plug in on the weekends. I think you can get like 20MPH or range, so 4-6 hours was usually enough.

I live in Jersey City too Shore Club Area.... I'm getting my new S75D on coming Tuesday. I dread the charging situation in JC.
We have 2 chargers in garage in by starbucks Blink at 1.50 an hour + parking...

What we really need is somehow get in touch with Tesla Supercharging team and get SuperCharger installed in Target parking lot which is huge. It would be very convenient for IN/OUT of NYC Tesla traffic.

Question is how to get in touch to suggest a location....

I live in Jersey City too Shore Club Area.... I'm getting my new S75D on coming Tuesday. I dread the charging situation in JC.
We have 2 chargers in garage in by starbucks Blink at 1.50 an hour + parking...

What we really need is somehow get in touch with Tesla Supercharging team and get SuperCharger installed in Target parking lot which is huge. It would be very convenient for IN/OUT of NYC Tesla traffic.

Question is how to get in touch to suggest a location....
You might well be able to get a Destination Charger installed there is you can convince Target it is worthwhile. Just in case you're not yet familiar with them:
Destination Charging | Tesla
This really works well, and tesla promotes them by giving away both a Tesla HPWC plus a Clipper Creek J1772. They have been very important to many of us, and one of them was my only charging source for several months while I fought with my Florida Condominium issues to get rights to install my own charger.

Omg @darker123 thats such a good idea for a supercharger in the target parking lot.

The closest super charger for us is paramus which is like 30 mins from JC assuming no traffic. Other option would be edison but that is a good 45 min...

We should request it as I know there are 5 teslas in 77 hudson. I'm sure more in JC.

Superchargers are meant for roadtripping, not for daily use/local use. NYC is already very well served for roadtripping to/from. There are superchargers in every major direction within plenty of range of the city. You could probably get to something like 25 different superchargers with a full charge from NYC.

Superchargers are meant for roadtripping, not for daily use/local use. NYC is already very well served for roadtripping to/from. There are superchargers in every major direction within plenty of range of the city. You could probably get to something like 25 different superchargers with a full charge from NYC.

Problem is you are missing the point. Yes for road trips it is appropriate but most metro area are apartment dwellers with no charging options. If testa wants to expand market share in EV market it must address this weak spot in infrastructure and provide supercharging option for apartment dwellers.
I have no choice while I lobby my work for 50AMP circuit install to hit supercharger in Paramus NJ. And guess what the only reason I bought the car is because I have this option even though it is 19 miles away from my home. So in my case tesla made a sale because of it supercharger network.

Problem is you are missing the point. Yes for road trips it is appropriate but most metro area are apartment dwellers with no charging options. If testa wants to expand market share in EV market it must address this weak spot in infrastructure and provide supercharging option for apartment dwellers.
Many of us have been able n this situation. Supercharging is not the answer. destination chargers and othe L2 options are the answer. Think about it: virtually all Tesla owners leave their cars overnight, in which case they need Destinstion chargers of other L2'options. My P85D lives happily with 208/30'charging overnight.

I understand NYC area, including Jersey City have issues, Supercharging is not the answer. Lots of L2 and Destination Cha gets will be. Superchargers are not a local dolution, they are for long distance.

Think about practicality and soon jersey City will be overrun with Destination Chargers.

Reactions: jaguar36
I have no choice while I lobby my work for 50AMP circuit install to hit supercharger in Paramus NJ. And guess what the only reason I bought the car is because I have this option even though it is 19 miles away from my home. So in my case tesla made a sale because of it supercharger network.
No, Superchargers are not the solution to this. The solution is to have charging at your work or home. Keep in mind even a regular 120V outlet would be plenty for most of the time.

Its going to be a terrible experience for the buyers, as waiting every few days for 45 minutes while the car charges would be awful. One of the best things about owning a Tesla is you start with a full tank every morning.

Tesla has made this abundantly clear, even going so far as to send a letter to folks who were abusing local superchargers. Here is the meat of it:

SC Letter.png

I see a few blocks away is a EVgO CHAdeMO charger at a mall. Great option if nothing else available.
Perhaps most of you never lived in a dense metropolitan area. I am fully aware of all options around an immediate 5 miles surrounding area.
Answer is: No there is no 120v outlet to plug every night at all anywhere, and even if it be who in a right mind would risk $540 mobile adapter to leave there overnight.
2. Would you charge in a mall where parking fees are $3 an hour and lets say $10 for 30min CHAdeMO. My answer is I don't think so.. It becomes a very expensive solution like $5-6 gallon gas.
There is no good solution here, I'm not ready yet to move to suburbs, when I will none of it will be an issue. Until then I'm forced to utilize any available means of charging including persuading my employer to install a charging solution that I'm been working on for last few month..

Perhaps most of you never lived in a dense metropolitan area. I am fully aware of all options around an immediate 5 miles surrounding area.
Answer is: No there is no 120v outlet to plug every night at all anywhere, and even if it be who in a right mind would risk $540 mobile adapter to leave there overnight.
2. Would you charge in a mall where parking fees are $3 an hour and lets say $10 for 30min CHAdeMO. My answer is I don't think so.. It becomes a very expensive solution like $5-6 gallon gas.
There is no good solution here, I'm not ready yet to move to suburbs, when I will none of it will be an issue. Until then I'm forced to utilize any available means of charging including persuading my employer to install a charging solution that I'm been working on for last few month..
Sorry to get you upset. I see on plugshare there was Newport center mall with a EVgO station. $15 per month and $.10 per minute. Per plugshare $2 per hour to park. A 1 hour charge would get you approximately 150 miles for $8.

Sorry to get you upset. I see on plugshare there was Newport center mall with a EVgO station. $15 per month and $.10 per minute. Per plugshare $2 per hour to park. A 1 hour charge would get you approximately 150 miles for $8.
Just an FYI, I have the plughsare on my phone too. Info states: $2 parking an hour Level 3 DC $9.95 for 30min.
So an exact 1 hr charge become $2.25 parking+$19.90=$22.15 for 150miles with daily vampire fee of 2-4miles a day...
In comparison a 30miles a gallon car would cost= 5gallons x 2.00 a gallon=$10 for the same 150 miles and no vampire fee.
Anyway my point being this is not an economical solution and didn't get to point where I can afford Tesla model S just buy wasting money away. I bought tesla because I believe in a company and technology to bring the future forward, this is my way of endorsing the company and its direction. I just like the rest of you gambles big money on company with uncertain future, huge debt load and awakening competition.
And if my endorsement of uncertainty and inconvenience to me cost them a few bucks every week so be it until a better alternative emerges in terms of charging.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I have the plughsare on my phone too. Info states: $2 parking an hour Level 3 DC $9.95 for 30min.
So an exact 1 hr charge become $2.25 parking+$19.90=$22.15 for 150miles with daily vampire fee of 2-4miles a day...
In comparison a 30miles a gallon car would cost= 5gallons x 2.00 a gallon=$10 for the same 150 miles and no vampire fee.
Anyway my point being this is not an economical solution and didn't get to point where I can afford Tesla model S just buy wasting money away. I bought tesla because I believe in a company and technology to bring the future forward.
Please go to EVgo's website for NY charges. Nrgevgo.com and select charging plan for NY.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.PNG
    IMG_2409.PNG
    217.5 KB · Views: 63