Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joe Rogan - The Blowback from Owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's exactly right. My car buff friends laugh at my Tesla... That is until they get in it. I got laughed at when I first went to the race track with it. But it seems like it's the car no one wants to race against now unless it's a full out built race car
I'll race you in my F150. Starting line will be in Atlanta, finish line Atlantic City. ;)

I'll race you in my F150. Starting line will be in Atlanta, finish line Atlantic City. ;)

One of the factors that convinced a friend to buy a Tesla despite the fact you need to stop to charge is the frequency that they stopped ANYWAY.... In the real world the time it takes to travel long distance really doesn't change. The car I owned prior to my Tesla was a Jetta TDI that I once achieved ~860 miles on a single tank. I drive between WA and NM twice a year. The trip took just as long with the Jetta as it does in the Tesla because I prefer not to torture myself.

One of the factors that convinced a friend to buy a Tesla despite the fact you need to stop to charge is the frequency that they stopped ANYWAY.... In the real world the time it takes to travel long distance really doesn't change. The car I owned prior to my Tesla was a Jetta TDI that I once achieved ~860 miles on a single tank. I drive between WA and NM twice a year. The trip took just as long with the Jetta as it does in the Tesla because I prefer not to torture myself.
I often make 500mi+ each way trips. Having a 36gallon tank at 20+mpg (800mi) is awesome. I'd like a Tesla truck but it had better have 500mi of range, otherwise that
is a dealbreaker. I look at the Ford Ranger and think... cool! Maybe that is a future option.... but an 18gallon tank? Nope, doesn't work. 2 extra hours on my trip would be 2
more hours of kids being cranky and frustrated. (I ran my route on the Tesla trip planner)

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines
I often make 500mi+ each way trips. Having a 36gallon tank at 20+mpg (800mi) is awesome. I'd like a Tesla truck but it had better have 500mi of range, otherwise that
is a dealbreaker. I look at the Ford Ranger and think... cool! Maybe that is a future option.... but an 18gallon tank? Nope, doesn't work. 2 extra hours on my trip would be 2
more hours of kids being cranky and frustrated. (I ran my route on the Tesla trip planner)

Turns out that stopping and letting the kids run for a couple hours makes the other hours in the car WAAAY more bearable....

i have 2 small kids, and the time it takes me to drive from LA to SF or LA to Vegas is significantly longer when i drive the EV vs an ICE. you absolutely have to stop for longer and more frequently.

ICE stops are 10 minute pit stops to stretch legs and go to bathroom, sometimes 30 minutes to eat. EV stops are 50 minutes sitting in the lounge at kettleman city, already done eating, waiting for the stupid tesla to charge up 'oh my god how much longer, another 25 minutes???', while my 3 and 5 year old run around and destroy those toys on the wall. those with small kids who have stopped at kettleman know what i mean. AND you have to make more stops which are also another 30-50 minutes depending on where you are going.

it is just simply not true that it takes the same amount of time, or you stop for the same amount of time in EV vs ICE.

i have 2 small kids, and the time it takes me to drive from LA to SF or LA to Vegas is significantly longer when i drive the EV vs an ICE. you absolutely have to stop for longer and more frequently.

ICE stops are 10 minute pit stops to stretch legs and go to bathroom, sometimes 30 minutes to eat. EV stops are 50 minutes sitting in the lounge at kettleman city, already done eating, waiting for the stupid tesla to charge up 'oh my god how much longer, another 25 minutes???', while my 3 and 5 year old run around and destroy those toys on the wall. those with small kids who have stopped at kettleman know what i mean. AND you have to make more stops which are also another 30-50 minutes depending on where you are going.

it is just simply not true that it takes the same amount of time, or you stop for the same amount of time in EV vs ICE.

Do you have an older car? A 50 minute charge stop is pretty rare unless you're charge splitting... even so... I call adding ~25 minutes on a 7 hour trip ~about the same...

I know when I travel the car is usually ready before I am.

Wow, when we stopped at Kettleman City to charge, I had to pry the family away. The car was finished charging, but they wanted to play the board games that Tesla keeps in the lounge. On trips, the car is usually ready before they are.

That being said, I am optimistic that Supercharger V3 will help a great deal going forward, especially with newer cars.

Do you have an older car? A 50 minute charge stop is pretty rare unless you're charge splitting... even so... I call adding ~25 minutes on a 7 hour trip ~about the same...

I know when I travel the car is usually ready before I am.

MX 75D.

for example: to travel to san francisco from southern california OC (about 425 miles) typically requires three supercharging stops, as real world range of the MX is sh*t, only about 150 miles. They take at least 35-40 minutes each. If you plug in to tesla.com/trips (which doesn't have my 237mi version any more, only the 289mi MX, the supercharging time is total 90 minutes at 3 stops. in my car, it would take longer to charge, at least 110 minutes. Total time, 8h,5 minutes per tesla's own website. my car would be probably 8.5 hours.

In an ICE, i routinely make the drive in 6 to 6.5 hours. usually 5.5-6 hours driving, 20 minutes stopping for food, 10 minutes stopping for restrooms/gas once.) even with small kids driving 2 hours at a time is easily doable.

so you have a trip taking 6.5 hours in an ICE and over 8 hours in an EV (calculated for MX performance with longer range than mine, so probably 8.5 hours).

that's anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours difference for a drive that normally takes 6.5 hours in an ICE. that is a HUGE amount of additional time. i have now driven back and forth from SF several times in the EV and it is painful.

for those with bigger batteries, my friend has a LR M3 and she drove up to san francisco and also thought charging was a pain in the ass. but that is just one perspective i suppose.

MX 75D.

for example: to travel to san francisco from southern california OC (about 425 miles) typically requires three supercharging stops, as real world range of the MX is sh*t, only about 150 miles.

I think that's the core issue. You've got one the the shortest range and slowest charging Teslas. Your experience would be vastly different even with just a MX100. Not only is the range longer but it charges faster. Better still with a M3. The model 3 charges @ 100+kW to 50% SOC.

Reactions: ord3r
I think that's the core issue. You've got one the the shortest range and slowest charging Teslas. Your experience would be vastly different even with just a MX100. Not only is the range longer but it charges faster. Better still with a M3. The model 3 charges @ 100+kW to 50% SOC.

it's true it is one of the slowest charging teslas, but the majority of EVs out there are cars with that typical type of range. but even if you plug in the 100D into tesla.com/trips, you are still looking at over 95 minutes of charging compared to 30 minutes in pit stops in an ICE. check it out.

bottom line is that EVs take longer than ICE on any road trip, often significantly, regardless of battery size.