Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jump starting from a model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are going to assume you don't have the facelift model. If you do, you can find the video on YouTube for that too. Hopefully you will get a battery charger or even a trickle charger/maintainer. There is even a solar maintainer that you could get if you park your barely used vehicle outside. Your Tesla battery doesn't have very high cranking amps but your Honda shouldn't require a lot. You could also hook your jumper cables up to your Honda and then stand there with the other end in hand with puppy dog eyes hoping that a neighbor will have mercy on you.

Last edited:
I would not try to start the Honda while the S is connected. But using the 12V of the S you should be able to charge it’s battery.

Make sure the S is on while connecting so that the DC-DC converter in the S is running.

Leave the S connected for like 30 min or so.

I had the same problem with my Lexus going dead since getting the Tesla. However, I had a charger in the garage that I had never used. I hooked it up for about 6 hours and all good now. This will probably continue to happen so I plan to park it within my extension cord range.

It's a real good idea to not use the Tesla to jump another car. If the other car attempts to start before you've disconnected the jumper cables, it can result in some very expensive repairs. You can trickle charge from the Tesla but it's far easier, and safer, to get a trickle charger or jumpstart kit.

Reactions: ev-now and widodh
I had to jumpstart my wife's van recently and read that there is only a 50A fuse on that front battery terminal, so I don't think it is adequate to jumpstart an ICE. I didn't try though since I didn't want to blow that fuse.

Yeah, that may be a problem once the other car starts up - it will backfeed the 12v at well above 50A (probably 150-200A) and could harm the Tesla.

I had the same problem and concern. For the ICE, I dug out my trickle charger. But for the bigger problem -- what to do on the road and such, since even a Model S can need a jump sometimes -- I got a portable jump-starter: http://amzn.to/2BCvRS6 (that one for the combination of decent price and MANY good reviews). Bonus: you can charge your phone from it too. Haven't needed it yet, but nice to know it's in the frunk if I do.

(Alas, but it wasn't enough to jump-start the body I dug out of the graveyard: still need a lightning storm for that.)