Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Just a feeler): Model S Refresh software-locked S70D AP1, $66,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I absolutely love my ~10-month-old S70D AP1 and am strongly considering getting a S100D due to some circumstance changes that would make the extra range more helpful.

I've attached the order sheet, but key specs:

- About 17,000 Miles (the bulk of the miles were put on during SF -> Las Vegas road trips)
- No problems since I took delivery, been serviced according to the 12.5k intervals
- No accidents or collisions

Features:
- Solid Black Paint
- Next Gen Leather Black Seats
- Pano Roof
- Free unlimited supercharging
- AP1
- PUP
- UHFS

Original retail: $88,500 without tax.

Asking price: $66,000.

I'm 95% serious about selling or trading in within the next few months. I've received a Tesla trade-in offer that is quite fair, and I will almost certainly go that route for convenience if $66,000 doesn't sound like an attractive price — I welcome any thoughts/feedback regarding the price.

Attachments

• order_sheet.png
    order_sheet.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 102
Believe me, this is the least favorite part of the car ownership cycle for me. At least Tesla's trade-in offer skips the phase where the salesguy digs into his pocket and goes "Well I'll give you this gum wrapper, candy, and 2 quarters for your car"….

Since you explicitly asked for comments about the price, here's mine:

Having searched for and seen a lot of similar cars, I think this price is about right-ish. Not the very best deal, but in-line with similar ones. Best deal I saw for a 2015 70D was late last year on this forum similarly equipped to yours but also had Air Suspension, premium (Pearl White) paint, nice aftermarket tint and front/rear dash cams. That car was a steal at $60K. I also saw a similar (also base black) 2015 70D with similar (16,000-ish) mileage that was similarly equipped to yours except it did not have the premium stereo package. It was $63K.

So while not the best deal I have seen, your price seems reasonable to me. That said, as you know, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. We all have our idiosyncricies and what is/isn't a deal breaker and what they are/are not willing to pay more for. For me, I always look for air suspension. Some people want the rear jump seats. Some people don't like black cars. Other people don't care what color it is because they are going to wrap it anyhow, etc.

I'd guess in the end you would get somewhere between $60K and the $66K price you proposed.

So while not the best deal I have seen, your price seems reasonable to me. That said, as you know, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. We all have our idiosyncricies and what is/isn't a deal breaker and what they are/are not willing to pay more for. For me, I always look for air suspension. Some people want the rear jump seats. Some people don't like black cars. Other people don't care what color it is because they are going to wrap it anyhow, etc.

I'd guess in the end you would get somewhere between $60K and the $66K price you proposed.

Thank you for the feedback. I completely agree. As a busy person who's never personally sold a car this price before, I kind of prefer the straightforward transaction of trading in, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised by Tesla's seemingly fair trade-in value. It would really take a price closer to the $66k side of the 60-66k spectrum to convince me to undertake a private party sale.

In my gut I feel like that might be slightly unrealistic, which is why I'd put it out there to see if there's any takers. Honestly if I got an offer for the asking price I would go for it.

I would concur with the previous poster. I myself had spent a couple of months selling a 9-month-old Model S 70D, pearl white paint, lots of extras with an original price of $89,000 with 20,000 miles. I spent a few hundred bucks listing it with some resellers, AutoTrader, cars.com, eBay motors, here, etc...

I did a lot of research and slowly lowered the price over a few months bit by bit. The real market value for my car seemed to be right in that $60-63k range. Which honestly was moderately above trade-in but decently priced below what Tesla said they would resale it at.

Our two cars cost nearly the same brand new and they are both about the same age at the time of resale. You could probably ask for $64k but be open to negotiations at or above $60k.

GLWS