Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just curious about the age of forum members here

How old are you?

• Under 20

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • 21 to 30

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • 31 to 40

Votes: 116 30.0%
  • 41 to 50

Votes: 92 23.8%
  • 51 to 60

Votes: 62 16.0%
  • 61 and over

Votes: 45 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Start lobbying now for a J1772 station at work. Check out your parking lot and look for Teslas, LEAFs, Volts, etc. Put together a proposal of why having an EVSE will be both a benefit for employees and a pat on the back for the employer environmentally. My workplace has 3 Semaconnect EVSEs at each of our two offices in Atlanta and about 10-15 EVs charge up every day at each location.
Looking around, there are about 30 cars total in the parking lot, and I know all the owners personally. I would be the only one with an EV, so I'd be putting together a proposal to benefit myself and myself only. If I knew other people would benefit, it would likely be a shoo-in, but I'm thinking it may be hard to justify an expensive charging station for one person.

Fortunately, the president is a cool guy and seemed very excited when I mentioned I stood in line with the rest of you on the 31st. He's been asking for updates on the Tesla every so often. We manufacture power distribution equipment and have worked with Tesla in the past, so we have the technical know-how to install a cheap, makeshift 240v charging station, which may be what I pitch. Hell, the parking spot I'm eyeing is next to a couple enormous green electrical boxes, so it may be possible to install an outlet in there and just run the UMC from it. Not sure about the code with those things. May have to run a couple feet of cable underground to another dedicated electrical box which would house an outlet and the UMC. Just gotta get the guy drunk sometime and slide it into the conversation. ;)

I'm thinking if you are planning to "buy a condo or something", you would be wise to make that purchase before buying a new car with a loan, if your plan is to finance some or most of your payments. Perhaps easier to acquire a car loan AFTER you have purchased a home. Consult a financial advisor for advice.
Hah, that was mostly wishful thinking to look for alternatives to a pricey apartment with a garage. If all goes well, I may be able to buy the car cash and since my credit is very good, I doubt I'll have trouble securing a home loan when I want it.

I doubt I'll have trouble securing a home loan when I want it.

Don't know where you live or what your financial situation is but being able to purchase a car for cash is great. Taking that $50K and adding it to whatever down payment you plan for a home (with a garage) would be better. The savings in mortgage interest alone would more than pay for the car over time.

I drove crappy old cars when I was young but bought my first house a year after graduating from college. Waited another five years before buying my first, new, cheap import. No regrets. Just thinking.

Don't know where you live or what your financial situation is but being able to purchase a car for cash is great. Taking that $50K and adding it to whatever down payment you plan for a home (with a garage) would be better. The savings in mortgage interest alone would more than pay for the car over time.

I drove crappy old cars when I was young but bought my first house a year after graduating from college. Waited another five years before buying my first, new, cheap import. No regrets. Just thinking.
I'm still not sure how I want to handle the purchase of this car... on one hand, having a huge chunk of cash can be used for so much more. You need money to make money, so I'm toying with ideas on how to use that money to make more money, or potentially put it toward a much larger purchase like a home in an effort to save money over time.

I'm a bit blinded by the Tesla lust, but fortunately by the good graces of Tesla (not so good to others), I have a couple years to figure it out! I want this car though, and not much aside from a crippling injury will stop me from getting it. I might be better off waiting 5 years, but screw it, I've only got one life and I want to enjoy it. So what if I have to retire a couple years later.

I'm looking over all the options and I sure as hell would love to buy this car cash just so I don't have to deal with the loans or car payments, but it may not be the best move financially. I may try to secure a low rate loan and use that to try and bolster my credit some more while the cash sits in a CD or stocks making more money than the interest on the car loan costs.

Decisions, decisions!

First car was a used 68 VW Beetle; paid $800 for it. First new car was a 78 Toyota Corolla. That one cost $4000.
I might just keep the Avalon when we get the 3. My pre Tesla car was a Camry Hybrid and I always enjoyed driving the Avalon as the nicer car. Now I will only drive it to the gas station fo fill it for my wife. Might be useful to have as a back up though.