Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got my first EV Power bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call Edison and see if they will recalculate your last bill on the Home & EV Plan so you can compare. If they can't/won't do it, see if you can download your SmartMeter data. From that, I have a spreadsheet that can bin the time periods and calculate the energy charges from the tiers. I don't have the SCE rates in the spreadsheet because I'm in PG&E territory, but it's designed to be easy to modify.

Yep I did call and while they didn't give me exact numbers, they said based on my usage that the most cost-efficient plan is the one I'm on (regular residential). I wish the regular residential plans had an off-peak charge. You'd think SoCal Edison would want to incentivize people to use power off-peak.

You need to change to the Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV) plan. This would give you the same pricing for super off peak even at 2 tier which is the max tier. I use a similar one for PGE which is similar to all you can eat during off hours plan. My bill has only gone up $40 a month from $60 to $100 average now.

Yes, but it looks like the Home & EV Plan's higher rate on-peak would actually make the total bill more, even if I charged super-off-peak (12am-6am).

Maybe I'm just not used to having a high electricity bill? My bill used to be ~$30 a month for the past 3 years...I've been spoiled.

I waited a month before contacting SCE to see what my bill would look like before and after I got my MS. There is quite a large jump as I entered Tier 4 and that is b/c I charge 90% every night and the other day I called SCE to see what options I have. This is what they told me.

1) stay as is, no changes
2) 1 meter and between hours of 10am-6pm reduced rates b/c of no usage besides whatever is plugged in, i.e. fridge (this option does not work for us b/c my father in law comes over to watch our daughter between these hours.
3) 2 meters, 1 for car, 1 for house. I would get 0.11/kwh for the car but in order for SCE to install this 2nd meter, I would need an electrician to come over to prepare the wiring for the 2nd meter and this would cost me between about $3k. So this would take about 2 years for me to break even with the extra electricity cost vs installing a 2nd meter cost.

So my wife and I decided to keep our electric plan as is for now. We planned on getting solar BUT our HOA will not allow it as we have a shared roof.

So my wife and I decided to keep our electric plan as is for now. We planned on getting solar BUT our HOA will not allow it as we have a shared roof.
In California, the Solar Right Act prevent HOA from restricting Solar installations. I believe even in common roof setups.

It might be worth researching it further, or talking-to a good solar installer in your area, they are familiar with the HOAs can and cannot do.

Sorry, bad phrasing. The 5.4kwH is per hour. It looks like the Tesla uses that from 1am-5am, so 5.4 * 4(hours) = 21.6kw
I'm really surprised at people who say charging the Tesla only added $30 to their monthly bill. I don't think I drive that much considering I have a 0 mile commute.
I finally had to time to finish the spreadsheet. It is attached. My calculations seem to indicate the off-peak plan might give you a lower bill.

However, the numbers I plugged in for your usage (highlighted in yellow) I'm not sure is correct for your situation. Firstly I assumed when you say 3.6kWh, 0.7kWh etc, that is the actual total kWh (unit of energy) for that time period. If you mean kW (unit of power; AKA "kWh per hour") then the math doesn't work out for you getting only $30 per month for you other bills.

Anyways, I calculate your non-EV usage is only 5.6kWh per day and 168kWh per month giving a $22.23 bill (before fees and other taxes; all my numbers don't include those and I assume they don't go up per kWh). If this is way out of the ball park for what you see in bills before you owned the EV, then you might need to adjust the usage numbers.

However, your estimated EV usage of 21.6kWh per 3 days (7.2kWh per day; 216kWh total additional per month) does not result in anywhere near a $195 bill, only a $50.81 bill. I get somewhere near that only if I plug in 21.6kWh per day (not 3 days) for 648 kWh additional per month and a $154.42 bill. However, 648kWh is good for 1700 miles of travel, so that doesn't make much sense either given you say you use the car rarely.

I think you might have to check and compare the actual kWh you used per month before and after you had your EV. Your bill shouldn't be that high. Even if you pay for all your driving at the Tier 4 $0.31/kWh (which is not the case; part of it is covered by tier 2 and 3 rates) and use 7.2kWh per day (good for ~19 miles per day), that's only $66.96 extra per month.

Attachments

• socalEdison.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
In California, the Solar Right Act prevent HOA from restricting Solar installations. I believe even in common roof setups.

It might be worth researching it further, or talking-to a good solar installer in your area, they are familiar with the HOAs can and cannot do.

That's what I heard as well, I do need to look into this further. Thanks.

196 kWh consumed...

- - - Updated - - -

SoCal Edison charges .11/kWh between 9PM and Noon on the EV separate meter plan. From noon to 9PM, rates are .23 or .33, depending on the season.

In NJ I pay $.08 OFF PEAK (8pm - 8am) and $.19 PEAK - That's with the "TIME OF USE" Meter
I have a swimming pool and started running the pool filter at night to minimize the cost. Big Difference.

I finally had to time to finish the spreadsheet. It is attached. My calculations seem to indicate the off-peak plan might give you a lower bill.

However, the numbers I plugged in for your usage (highlighted in yellow) I'm not sure is correct for your situation. Firstly I assumed when you say 3.6kWh, 0.7kWh etc, that is the actual total kWh (unit of energy) for that time period. If you mean kW (unit of power; AKA "kWh per hour") then the math doesn't work out for you getting only $30 per month for you other bills.

Wow, thank you for the spreadsheet! That was helpful. Yes, when I say 3.6kWh, I mean total unit of energy for that hour, not kwh per hour. Your estimated non-ev usage is about right. For the hot months where I run the AC more often, it's more like 350 kWh. I entered some revised numbers into that and it does look like changing to the TOU-EV-D plan will save me a couple of bucks. I'll double check the numbers again later tonight.

Wow, thank you for the spreadsheet! That was helpful. Yes, when I say 3.6kWh, I mean total unit of energy for that hour, not kwh per hour. Your estimated non-ev usage is about right. For the hot months where I run the AC more often, it's more like 350 kWh. I entered some revised numbers into that and it does look like changing to the TOU-EV-D plan will save me a couple of bucks. I'll double check the numbers again later tonight.
For the TOU-EV-D plan I forgot to add back in the weekend 10AM-6PM numbers (which are counted as off-peak). This changes the numbers a bit, so now it's slightly higher for the TOU-EV-D plan during the summer until you reach past 8.2kWh per day of EV charging. The updated spread sheet has been attached.

Attachments

• socalEdisonb.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 58