Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just got this alert, not sure what it means

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be “that guy” …. But may I suggest just using the Tesla USB stick instead? It’s priced reasonably and would ensure you don’t have any of these wacky compatibility issues …. Problem solved in one fell swoop.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Not to be “that guy” …. But may I suggest just using the Tesla USB stick instead? It’s priced reasonably and would ensure you don’t have any of these wacky compatibility issues …. Problem solved in one fell swoop.

The Tesla drive didn't fix it for me.

Reactions: redmunds
I have a 2021 M3 and it came with the Tesla 128GB USB drive. It actually wasn't having any issues but I thought I'd get fancy and partition it to have 2 partitions... one for TESLA\TeslaCam and one for MEDIA\Boombox. Since then, I haven't been able to get rid of the error message, despite making the jump yesterday from 2021.11 to 2021.36.

The thing is, that the Boombox files work perfectly fine and the TeslaCam/Sentry records just fine and plays back just fine.

It's odd that this error is happening even with my Tesla-installed USB drive, and even more odd that the problem has existed since 2021.11 software.

Like others have mentioned, the Format USB Drive button is grayed out and does nothing when tapped. And, the alert will only temporarily go away with a soft reboot (holding both scroll wheels down until it resets).

Is Tesla is expecting it to be formatted a certain way? I've tried FAT, exFat, with a single partition, two partitions, and I've tried formatting using both macOS Monterey (M1 Mac) and Windows 11 (Lenovo laptop).

Certainly frustrating to see the alert icon and this error... but it is working fine. For now I'm just going to put some black tape over that part of my screen (I kid, I kid...)

I have a 2021 M3 and it came with the Tesla 128GB USB drive. It actually wasn't having any issues but I thought I'd get fancy and partition it to have 2 partitions... one for TESLA\TeslaCam and one for MEDIA\Boombox. Since then, I haven't been able to get rid of the error message, despite making the jump yesterday from 2021.11 to 2021.36.

The thing is, that the Boombox files work perfectly fine and the TeslaCam/Sentry records just fine and plays back just fine.

It's odd that this error is happening even with my Tesla-installed USB drive, and even more odd that the problem has existed since 2021.11 software.

Like others have mentioned, the Format USB Drive button is grayed out and does nothing when tapped. And, the alert will only temporarily go away with a soft reboot (holding both scroll wheels down until it resets).

Is Tesla is expecting it to be formatted a certain way? I've tried FAT, exFat, with a single partition, two partitions, and I've tried formatting using both macOS Monterey (M1 Mac) and Windows 11 (Lenovo laptop).

Certainly frustrating to see the alert icon and this error... but it is working fine. For now I'm just going to put some black tape over that part of my screen (I kid, I kid...)

I suspect that's *EXACTLY* it. The firmware is likely expecting to see a single partition on the drive.

How did you change it to a single partition? I'm curious if there's a remnant of something on there - maybe a GPT header or something throwing the Tesla firmware for a loop.

I'd go simple - MBR, one primary partition, FAT32 ... You'd need to use something other than Windows format do that; it can only do 32gb fat32 volumes.

I suspect that's *EXACTLY* it. The firmware is likely expecting to see a single partition on the drive.

How did you change it to a single partition? I'm curious if there's a remnant of something on there - maybe a GPT header or something throwing the Tesla firmware for a loop.

I'd go simple - MBR, one primary partition, FAT32 ... You'd need to use something other than Windows format do that; it can only do 32gb fat32 volumes.
I've tried single and 2 partition formatting using macOS' Disk Utility app which doesn't seem to have an issue with the size.

I've also purchased a "SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems" from Amazon to double the space provided by the Tesla USB drive so as soon as that arrives tomorrow I'll test it out. If you search the reviews on that product for "Tesla" you'll find a ton of 5 stars from people stating it works great with their M3.

Would you link to that reader please?

Thanks
The SD card reader that has worked for me without any errors so far is this one. I have a Samsung microSD 512GB card and use the full size SD adapter it came with. I have two partitions following the many examples out there, one for dashcam/sentry, and the other has ~100GB of audio files. This combo is the only one that doesn't give me any errors. Tried 3 other SD to USB adapters, they all resulted in the UI_a134 alert.

We're trying to do something more advanced, using two partitions for the two purposes, namely dashcam and music files, as opposed to using two different devices. It clearly works from a technical standpoint, but it does generate this alert in the current software, but it seems it did not do that in earlier builds. What does the car expect to see? We cannot say. Using an SD card instead of a USB flash drive has several benefits, they are much higher endurance parts, so no worries about wearing out due to the constant dashcam I/O. They are much more durable against heat and cold, which helps in a car glovebox that can experience the worst of them both. Also they withstand magnetic fields better, which should be self explanatory. All I know is the model of USB 3.0 SD card reader I linked to has worked perfectly for 4 weeks now, across multiple software updates, with no alerts, whereas other readers did have alerts. I didn't change the SD card, only the reader, so there's something about it that works differently, for me at least. I'd love to see someone else give it a try and confirm what I've seen.

The SD card reader that has worked for me without any errors so far is this one. I have a Samsung microSD 512GB card and use the full size SD adapter it came with. I have two partitions following the many examples out there, one for dashcam/sentry, and the other has ~100GB of audio files. This combo is the only one that doesn't give me any errors. Tried 3 other SD to USB adapters, they all resulted in the UI_a134 alert.
i was using a 400gb sandisk extreme micro card w/ 2 partions as above in a ugreen branded adapter worked great almost 2 years .. started getting same error .. tried reformat / then reformated as single partition .. still error until i switched to the same sandisk adapter .. now works fine again w/ one or two partitions 🤷🏻‍♂️
the same ugreen adapter works fine in multiple other laptops / desktops so who knows

i was using a 400gb sandisk extreme micro card w/ 2 partions as above in a ugreen branded adapter worked great almost 2 years .. started getting same error .. tried reformat / then reformated as single partition .. still error until i switched to the same sandisk adapter .. now works fine again w/ one or two partitions 🤷🏻‍♂️
the same ugreen adapter works fine in multiple other laptops / desktops so who knows
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been reading a LOT of the discussions on the whole USB/SD/whatever card and here's my $0.02 on the subject (all purely speculation based on my readings here):
  1. I believe that most of the problems come from the Tesla SW interface. Something about it just seems to be FAR from solid
  2. I really believe that the SOURCE (where you buy it) of the media (whatever it is) makes a difference and that Amazon is a horrible place to get it as there is a LOT of counterfeit crap on there. Mostly this is my conjecture, but I know there have been articles about this as well. Personally, I had two SanDisk Cruzer thumb drives that I got from Costco (whose supply chain I trust FAR more than Amazon) that lasted 18 months and were retired ONLY because I needed more than 256 GB for music (replaced by a 1 TB Samsung T5)
  3. There appears to be no one "perfect solution" for this. For every answer someone comes up for this, there is someone else for whom it DOESN'T work

Note if your stick has dual slots (my Ugreen device has two, one microSD and one SD), you have to manually create the "TeslaCam" folder in the card before it allows recording. The car can't automatically pick a slot, so the format function doesn't work.
My stick only has one slot. The microSD card is formatted correctly because I had been using it for almost two years. I can see the card and its files on my computer, but the car thinks "USB Drive has no filesystem." I actually purchased a brand new microSD card and I still get the same error message. I'm no going to try the reader that OB1Kenobi recommends.

Sadly--I bought your recommended "SanDisk SD UHS-I Card Reader - SDDR-C531-GNANN" and it gives me the same error with the same formatting scenario as you with the . I've also tried the card reader that it comes with (SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN) as well as the Tesla-provided 128GB USB drive. From 2021.11 to the current 2021.36.8 Tesla software, I get the same error a few hours after a reset--but everything continues to work fine. I can't believe so many people have this error but it's still not fixed. Oh well...

Sadly--I bought your recommended "SanDisk SD UHS-I Card Reader - SDDR-C531-GNANN" and it gives me the same error with the same formatting scenario as you with the . I've also tried the card reader that it comes with (SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN) as well as the Tesla-provided 128GB USB drive. From 2021.11 to the current 2021.36.8 Tesla software, I get the same error a few hours after a reset--but everything continues to work fine. I can't believe so many people have this error but it's still not fixed. Oh well...
Weak! Was hoping this was an odd but reliable solution...

I picked up my MY yesterday and tried swapping out the Tesla drive with a SanDisk High Endurance 256GB using Anker USB-C and USB-A card reader and I'm getting this error. Going back to the Tesla drive that came with the car works fine (I haven't reformatted it at all) but the SanDisk errors. I'll have to test more to see if the SanDisk is actually recording like you're all reporting here. FWIW I'm still on the custom SW from the factory (2021.35.102)

The Tesla USB drive is just a re-badged version of the basic Samsung flash drive. All of the HW, formatting, everything is industry standard and there shouldn't be any compatibility differences between drives.

I have 2x Samsung Pro Endurance microSD cards that are less liable to break down after a couple years of writing to the disk. It's worked for years until these updates. Tesla needs to get their act together, fix this, and stop wasting our time trying to figure this nonsense out.

AFAIK, sentry still seems to work correctly despite the error message.

Reactions: loggedout
appreiate all the answers..would of figured with an update or two the alert would go away
UI_a134
just got this alert model 3 2020
usb drive has no filesystem
drive will not mount and should be unplugged

but it has not....

mind you ,,the usb drive is working, capturing video etc....but annoying alert comes up, even though its working
not sure what to do