Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just had my deliver date, super excited, however need charger help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just had the best news on a confirmed delivery date on My Model 3, We have a Tesla charging point at work which is for the Model S, can I use an adapter to also charge my 3, if so does anyone know it is comes with car?

Reactions: Phil1710
I have just had the best news on a confirmed delivery date on My Model 3, We have a Tesla charging point at work which is for the Model S, can I use an adapter to also charge my 3, if so does anyone know it is comes with car?
Not sure in U.K., but in Canada the car comes with a J1772 adapter. Does the Model S require an adapter to use the charging station?

Reactions: Vicky1108
Type 2 is what you require and yes you will be able to use the same charger at work (as long as you have permission) and its available to use!

Congrats ! You sound excited ;-)

Your car will come equipped with a 'CCS Combo 2' AKA 'CCS Type 2' AKA 'CCS2' port
This article is informative reading

Have a look at this picture of a CCS type 2 port:
You can see that it is made of two parts. The upper part has 5 pins and is used for AC charging via
'Type 2'
The bottom two pins are additional pins used by DC rapid charging

At work you will find a 'Type 2' plug that fits into the top 5 pins of the CCS2 port in the Tesla.
The good news for you is that the UK has pretty much standardized on Type 2 and CCS2 plugs and ports so you should be able to charge wherever EVs charge, at least in terms of electric compatibility. Some charging vendors have their own billing arrangements you have to sign up for.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.45.12 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Congrats ! You sound excited ;-)

Your car will come equipped with a 'CCS Combo 2' AKA 'CCS Type 2' AKA 'CCS2' port
This article is informative reading

Have a look at this picture of a CCS type 2 port:
You can see that it is made of two parts. The upper part has 5 pins and is used for AC charging via
'Type 2'
The bottom two pins are additional pins used by DC rapid charging

At work you will find a 'Type 2' plug that fits into the top 5 pins of the CCS2 port in the Tesla.
The good news for you is that the UK has pretty much standardized on Type 2 and CCS2 plugs and ports so you should be able to charge wherever EVs charge, at least in terms of electric compatibility. Some charging vendors have their own billing arrangements you have to sign up for.

View attachment 575803
Yes very excited thank you for the help