Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just installed Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

epshan8

Feb 18, 2022
MD
I just installed a 240v 50amp nema 14-50 outlet to charge my tesla faster and when I try to charge my tesla I only get 12amps which charges extremely slow. It charged 4mi an hour. I have a gen 1 charger with the adapter could that be the issue?

On the charging screen, below the image of the battery, it should have a bunch of numbers. The 3rd one from the left is Amps. It should say 32/32A when charging. What does yours say? There is also a "Charge Current" selector. Make sure that is as high as it can go.

May also try removing the 14-50 adapter from the charge cable and reseating it. There is a bit of logic in there that tells the car what the max charge rate is.

After that you'll need to make sure you truly have 240V at the plug - the car will charge with only 1 phase but will act like it's plugged into a 120V outlet (which is what yours is doing).

Upvote 0
It sounds like a mis-wiring? You might want to start at the beginning:
  1. Open the breaker panel, trip the breaker and make sure both hot wires (black and red) are tight. Also check the neutral (white wire) and ground. BTW the breaker should be a GFIC breaker
  2. Leave the breaker tripped and check the outlet (which should be commercial grade) to ensure all four wires are connected to the correct locations, and that they are tight
  3. Close the breaker and the break box. Use a multimeter and check the voltages: L1-L2 should be 240v, all of the others L1-N, L2-N, L1-G and L2-G should be 120v. You can actually do this one first.
AD41CD10-6C0E-4657-8A0E-16147ADEB951.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDEWD250
Upvote 0