Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a 2015 85D CPO. Quick question..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I've been a huge Telsa fan since the beginning, but couldn't afford a new one. I just put a deposit down on a black 2015 85D. I'm very excited! I live in Kansas City, and the car is in San Diego. To avoid the $2,000 delivery fee, I'm planning to fly out, pick up the car, and drive home.

So here's my question. The pictures look very good, but I know you can't see all the details. I'm a little nervous to fly out, and discover the car has some unseen issue. Would anyone be interested in trying to lay eyes on the car in person? I don't know how accessible the cars are, but I'm assuming it's sitting on a Tesla delivery center parking lot??? I'd by happy to pay a few bucks if someone would check out the condition of the body and interior and send me some photos.

Here's the only photos I have. It doesn't contain as many photos as most CPO's I've seen:
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E24FF116592 | False, Fa | Tesla

Also, if you have any tips or suggestions, I'm happy to listen.

Thanks!
Mark

First - congrats. Car looks like it's in nice shape from the photos shown.

From what I understand you are not allowed to see the car at all before the actual delivery. The car is most likely sitting on a Manheim lot inaccessible to the public.

If at delivery you discover items not disclosed in the photos, be sure to point them out especially that there are no close-up photos of the wheels, etc...

I’m not sure if the law has changed but picking the car up in California would mean you’d have to pay California sales tax on the price of the vehicle.
Make sure to check on that, would suck to save 2k on transport only to be stuck paying more in taxes to a state you’re not even a resident of.

I took the 2k hit, as much as I didn't want to. Avoiding the hassle of flying and a 10 hour drive home - plus other circumstances to consider on my part, not to mention that I'd heard good things about my nearest SC and I think it was worth it. The SC had the car cleaned up good and I really had a good experience there. So make sure you value your time in the equation too, as well as the reputation of your local SC.

Good points. The delivery center here in KC is quite small, and it's easy to access and walk the lot. But with the higher volume of cars on the west coast, you are surely correct, that it's not that easy to access. The lack of close up images has me nervous. I guess that may be to may advantage if there are issues, since Tesla didn't disclose them, and I can push for them to be fixed.

Regarding the sales tax, that's a great point. Can anyone confirm the auto sales tax rate in San Diego? My tax in Johnson County Kansas is just under 10%. Google is telling me the sales tax in San Diego is only 7.75%. I'm having trouble believing their sales tax rate is lower than ours. I will still have to pay the shortfall in sales tax once I register in Kansas. But if the tax is really lower in San Diego, that's one thing I won't need to worry about. (paying more in sales tax)

The drive back to KC would be about 22 hours. I love long road trips, so I'd really enjoy it. I'm hesitant spending the $2,000 on delivery incase there is a major issue with the car, and I want to refuse delivery. I feel like I'd be out that $2,000.

Good morning Mark,

I have bought 2 used Teslas directly from Tesla over the last 7 months. First one (Model S) in November 2018 from West Palm Beach. About 1 hour drive from home. Very good experience. The car was exactly as in the pics I received. Second was (Model X) in early April from Orlando. This car was also exactly as in the pictures. For this one I flew to Orlando from Miami and drove the 3 hours back the same day. Both were very good experiences. No issues whatsoever with either car or with delivery experience. I posted the details of both purchases in other threads if you are interested.

By the way, your car looks really clean, however I do agree that there are few missing pics. For example, close ups of all 4 rims and tires, the manufacture date and the odometer pics are missing.

Wish you good luck if you decide to continue with the process.

Regards,
Alex

Definitely check to make sure you will not be double taxed. In my case I picked the car up in New Jersey and live in Delaware. I paid no NJ tax and paid DE car tax when I registered the car. I think California you must pay sales tax, then pay tax again in the state you register it in but not 100% sure...

Definitely check to make sure you will not be double taxed. In my case I picked the car up in New Jersey and live in Delaware. I paid no NJ tax and paid DE car tax when I registered the car. I think California you must pay sales tax, then pay tax again in the state you register it in but not 100% sure...

Same here - no tax in MD where I bought the car but I know I will be paying the document fees when I register in DE.

Just to follow up, Tesla sent me my MVPA for the car. They are not charging me sales tax on the purchase in California. So I'm just paying the price of the car. Once I resister the car in Kansas, I'll be paying our outrageous 9.5% sales tax and other fees.

In other good news, the communication has been very good from Tesla. I'll by flying out to get the car next week, once they confirm my delivery appointment time. So far so good.