Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Tesla. Question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla owners and fans. I have pulled the trigger and got an inventory Tesla. I will be picking it up in Fremont and driving back to SD where my wife is stationed.

Question mostly for Cali owners.

I am debating on whether to register the car in Cali or our state of record of Ohio.

CALI sales tax is $6500.00 and I just read that it's about 600 a year for registration.

EDIT: non-resident military personnel are exempt from VLF dropping registration by 500. Phew

Registering in Cali would also get us the $2500.00 credit and the HOV sticker.

If we register in Ohio believe it or not based on a Supreme Court ruling any Ohio resident that buys a car out of state and does not use it in state can still register car in state and not pay sales/use tax. (Not sure if this is for a new car or only applies to used cars?)

Yearly registration is $55.00 for all cars.

We would lose the $2500.00 credit, and the HOV stickers, but we would save 10k over the next 4-5'years.

So are HOV stickers worth it? And what would you guys do?

Last edited:
Not a Marine and not military. My wife is military actually. I believe I found my answer and it looks like since the bill hasn't passed if we take delivery at the factory we pay the Sales tax. So might as well register in Cali. I really hate paying taxes to this state and avoid it like a plague.

Also I am not a young kid and have no problem paying for this car and my financials are
great and nothing for you to be concerned with. I still like to save where I can
and if I don't find these savings nobody will point them out to me, thank you for your concern though.

If you don't work and commute daily - consider the Ohio registration. Also, take delivery in Ohio - not California. You MUST pay CA sales tax if picking up in CA. Take delivery in Nevada, register in Ohio, drive to SD.

Well decided to go with the California Tax, because I can still tour the factory, drive down the coast back home testing superchargers.

6200 tax, 2500 ev credit, white stickers, save $1500 on delivery charge.
So only 2000 after all that and save the headache of getting power of attorneys to pick up registration in Ohio.

Hang on fellow buckeye. In my research 18 months ago, Ohio has a "use tax" which basically means that when you try to register a new vehicle purchase within 1yr, you pay a tax equal to the sales tax you would have saved. You can wait a full year to reregister, but this might cause issues with your auto insurance because they really like to have you spend most of your time in the date you registered. They are asked to deny claims based on some clause in your policy about home state, etc.

Hello sir. OH -

I decided to register in Cali, but for research purposes What you say is true for normal drivers, however in the FAQ on Ohio BMV it states:
If the vehicle is purchased outside of Ohio by a member of the armed services who is a resident of Ohio and the vehicle is to be driven outside Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that no Ohio sales or use tax is due. The Supreme Court did not indicate the amount of time that a vehicle had to be driven outside of Ohio to qualify, so the department has adopted the “six-month” rule in that the period of time must be more than six months (as evidenced by a copy of the individual’s military orders indicating out-of-state service for a period of at least six months after the purchase date). The vehicle must be titled in the name of the military person. Use the ATPS exemption code “CM: Conversion – military.”

Hello sir. OH -

I decided to register in Cali, but for research purposes What you say is true for normal drivers, however in the FAQ on Ohio BMV it states:
If the vehicle is purchased outside of Ohio by a member of the armed services who is a resident of Ohio and the vehicle is to be driven outside Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that no Ohio sales or use tax is due. The Supreme Court did not indicate the amount of time that a vehicle had to be driven outside of Ohio to qualify, so the department has adopted the “six-month” rule in that the period of time must be more than six months (as evidenced by a copy of the individual’s military orders indicating out-of-state service for a period of at least six months after the purchase date). The vehicle must be titled in the name of the military person. Use the ATPS exemption code “CM: Conversion – military.”

You sir, are doing the Lord's work. Thank you for bringing that to his attention. I do not have military service, therefore, would not have even though to notice that fine print. I'm sure he'll appreciate that good news.

Well decided to go with the California Tax, because I can still tour the factory, drive down the coast back home testing superchargers.

6200 tax, 2500 ev credit, white stickers, save $1500 on delivery charge.
So only 2000 after all that and save the headache of getting power of attorneys to pick up registration in Ohio.

By the way there is legislation pending to remove the CA tax for out of state purchases as it should be.

Sort of like the European delivery Program for German cars where you can visit Germany to pick up your car.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/0...-buyers-can-buy-in-california-skip-sales-tax/