Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just out of curiosity I applied for a trade in quote....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I am not yet thinking of selling I was curious to see what my MS is currently worth as far as a trade in is concerned.
Filled in all the boxes and got a price yesterday however within the quote is says that I have a Long Range Plus but on the app and on my V5 is just states Long Range.

A lady called me this morning from Tesla and asked if was looking to act on the trade in, I explained that I wasn't but did ask her the question regarding the Plus/not Plus issue, she said that she would look in to it and get back to me and to be fair she just has with the following text...

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today regarding your Model S.

Currently, the Tesla Model S Long Range Plus has the longest range. The 2020 model offers an EPA-rated range of 412 miles.

All ranges follow the WLTP standard, which can be useful in comparing ranges among electric vehicles. Certified ranges at the top of our configurator are tested on the largest wheel option, as required by law, reflecting the lowest-range configuration. Ranges listed under wheel and seating selections are estimations based on your chosen configuration.

Actual range may vary based on factors such as speed, weather conditions and elevation change.

Basically, it is never the same in real world as per WLTP standard, as due to real world conditions it is advisable to deduct 10-15% of estimated range to get an exact figure.

You are also currently have a Tesla that has the most range out of all other Models, even 2022 Model 3 long range has a little bit less than your Model S.

Since new, the app on the phone has only ever shown a maximum of 370 miles at 100% and not the 412 miles stated in the text, I realise that you will never get all of those miles but surely from the off it should of shown 412 miles at 100%. Another thing, it no longer even shows 370 miles, it now shows 348 miles which seems very low to me for a car that is 18 months old although it has covered 32,000 miles.

So, do I have a Long Range or a Long Range Plus???? I don't know. 🥴

On a side note, I only normally charge to 90% unless I am planning a long journey, is there any way of getting the missing miles back?

It's going to say in the car on the Software menu.

The range shown in the car has been covered here many times, Tesla use the US EPA values for the 'guess' made based on the battery state, not WLTP values. EPA is more realistic (i.e. lower) than those the WLTP that has to be used in advertising in the UK. It seems likely to me that 370miles could be the EPA value that corresponds to the 412miles WLTP.

6% loss over 32K miles doesn't sound unlikely either. The Battery Management System calibration (also search for that) probably accounts for half of it.

Reactions: Jerryjal
a car that is 18 months old although it has covered 32,000 miles

6% lost seems a bit high, but not hugely so. Probably half of that will have been lost in the first year / 10,000 miles and it should have slowed down since.

I'm assuming that you are only comparing figures that you got after a 100% charge, and you did let those 100% charges fully complete (i.e. to balance the cells)

If you do the 100% charge and set off when it gets to 100% but before it has finished, then there might be some improvement to be had from charging it to 100% to completion (it may very well sit at 100% chugging away for 30 minutes, maybe an hour even ...). Try to avoid letting it stay sat at that high SoC for very long ... set off, or drive it down to 95% if your trip is cancelled.

Reactions: Jerryjal