Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ran across the first pushy Tesla guy in my experience so far :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was via web chat. He could have been helpful just by answer my questions (where it was located and helping me get some pictures of it). I had an order already on my account so I didn’t really want him poking around on my account. I also didn’t feel like having a sales guy call me when I had two REALLY simple questions. Further, there’s no excuse for him pretending to be jealous about the car because it was such a pristine one... when there were no pictures...

Next time hold a sign says I'm a real sensitive person and don't want to be bothered with unnecessarily. You will be treated "better".

Here's the reality, he almost certainly doesn't work for Tesla. He's a call center employee, and probably has a rule that says any non general inquiries or questions about a specific car must go to sales. So he has to enter it in the system as a sales lead.
He probably doesn't have access to pictures and he more than likely doesn't make a cent of commission.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Next time hold a sign says I'm a real sensitive person and don't want to be bothered with unnecessarily. You will be treated "better".

After being called 20 + times by a Chevy dealer after I told him I wasn't interested in a car, yes, I'm very sensitive now to handing out my phone number. Car dealers are absolute scum. I have a lease "turn in" inspection tomorrow and when making the appointment I got transferred from the person answering the phone to someone that could schedule it and the first thing he said was "my coworker mentioned you were looking at cars and would like to come see some" when I told the other person I was not interested in another car and just needed to schedule my lease turn in inspection. Once I finally got it scheduled ANOTHER sales person called me back the next day leaving a voicemail sounding confused. He said he thought I had told him the week before (when he called asking if I wanted a new car) that I had put an order in for a Tesla.... but he noticed I was on his schedule to come look at cars. So yes, I'm real sensitive to the "what's your number!?" "Let me look at your account!" "Oh let me have a sales guy call!".

They're all scum bags, every one of them. Tesla had been 100% different up until this little chat session. In fact, I don't think they EVER asked for my number, even when I called two or three times with questions specific to ordering... then I placed the order online and only THEN did they actually have my phone number and email. STILL then they didn't call, they just sent me an email the next day to say congratulations and extend a number for me to call if I have follow up questions. So yes, I'm skeptical when my questions go unanswered and instead it's "what's your number so we can call you back".

Can't you extend a little bit your current lease to give you a little bit more time for your research?

I would certainly recommend getting a LR just thinking about the winter season and rainy days effects on the range.

I don't know if I can extend it or not, but I absolutely want to be done with dealing with this Chevy dealership. The car has been fine, the people there are scum. I think I'm just going to settle on the SR+ unless something magic happens in the next week and a half.

My normal winter "road trip" (Tri Cities to Spokane WA) with a 90% starting charge, 15 mph head wind, Rain/Snow, and 25F outside temp in ABetterRoutePlanner is suggesting a 17 min charge session in the middle. Of course I would like to do it without a charge session or with a 5 or 6 minute one, but I can handle 17 minutes.

Going to Seattle is a little more rough... If I had a 15+ mph headwind the whole way I would have to do like 65mph to get to a supercharger and do a 35+ minute stay. However, with a 5 mph headwind I can go the normal speed limit and only have to do a 23 minute supercharger stop. Again I would rather do like 5 to 10 minutes, but I can handle 23 minutes and probably could even handle a 35+ minute stop since it's only three or four times a year that I take a road trip.

I look at those as worst case since I usually don't travel in the deep winter (~25F temps) and if we're predicting snow I'll usually not travel. I suspect it's more likely I'll be running up to Seattle for a weekend at like 40F (early December or something). The wind is a larger factor, and I don't think we often have sustained wind speeds of 15+ mph.

Maybe I'll regret this and want to try and trade in two or three years down the road and get a long range Model Y, but I think right now the SR+ is what I'm going to settle with.... unless in the next week and a half some unicorn new inventory LR RWD car shows up with a selling price of $45k or less after adding in the $1200 destination fee... but I think my sales guy and I have searched high and low nationwide and have gone over all the possible options.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't know if I can extend it or not, but I absolutely want to be done with dealing with this Chevy dealership. The car has been fine, the people there are scum. I think I'm just going to settle on the SR+ unless something magic happens in the next week and a half.

My normal winter "road trip" (Tri Cities to Spokane WA) with a 90% starting charge, 15 mph head wind, Rain/Snow, and 25F outside temp in ABetterRoutePlanner is suggesting a 17 min charge session in the middle. Of course I would like to do it without a charge session or with a 5 or 6 minute one, but I can handle 17 minutes.

Going to Seattle is a little more rough... If I had a 15+ mph headwind the whole way I would have to do like 65mph to get to a supercharger and do a 35+ minute stay. However, with a 5 mph headwind I can go the normal speed limit and only have to do a 23 minute supercharger stop. Again I would rather do like 5 to 10 minutes, but I can handle 23 minutes and probably could even handle a 35+ minute stop since it's only three or four times a year that I take a road trip.

I look at those as worst case since I usually don't travel in the deep winter (~25F temps) and if we're predicting snow I'll usually not travel. I suspect it's more likely I'll be running up to Seattle for a weekend at like 40F (early December or something). The wind is a larger factor, and I don't think we often have sustained wind speeds of 15+ mph.

Maybe I'll regret this and want to try and trade in two or three years down the road and get a long range Model Y, but I think right now the SR+ is what I'm going to settle with.... unless in the next week and a half some unicorn new inventory LR RWD car shows up with a selling price of $45k or less after adding in the $1200 destination fee... but I think my sales guy and I have searched high and low nationwide and have gone over all the possible options.
Hi thank you for following up. It seems that you make up your mind, which is great.
I would certainly difficult to put your hand on a used blue white LR in such a short time.
Beside the battery size and some premium options, the SR+ and LR offer identical driving feeling.
I am also in the boat regarding the coming Model Y, but so far the Model 3 is an outstanding car on any points.

Thank you for your road rides description. I went few time snowboarding at the Stevens Pass.
All this area is really majestic and great to travel into especially in winter time...

There was no SR at the time I got my M3 AWD LR light silver white LR 19" EAP FSD.
So the final price was about twice a much as other AWD that I was considering but no regrets at all.

Last edited:
If someone asking for your email addy so he could Send you photos of the car YOU inquired on is pushy......you have a lot to learn lol

He was asking for my email address to get my phone number (because he figured it was in my Tesla account). He said a sales rep would have to CALL me before sending me pictures. Why, I’m not sure, maybe they describe the pictures over the phone to me?

• Funny
Reactions: duanra
So as everyone on here knows by now, I keep waffling back and forth between keeping my order for a brand new Blue on White SR+ and buying a 5,000 mile or less LR RWD....

Well there is one used Model that is a decent VIN (40xxx) for $43,100 with only 3,000 miles on it, AND it's blue as a bonus. It's the ONLY used one in the last week that hasn't had any pictures of it. I chatted with them just now to find out where it is (Jersey) and to ask for pictures. Before the guy could even tell me where it was his reply was "WOW! That's a really nice looking Model 3! I'm jealous!" Which is odd considering there aren't any photos of it... Then he kept following up saying he needed my email and when I just asked for pictures he said a sales advisor would have to call me first. I don't feel like putting money down on it (even if it's refundable) just so they'll go take pictures for me or something. It's THE ONLY used one I'm seeing that doesn't already have pictures posted. This felt so "classic used car sales" with the constant try to get an email and phone number before they will tell you anything and the fake excitement to make it sound like a found a deal. This might be a slightly better deal then the others, but it's not like a found one for thousands less then all the other cars. Anyone maybe know why this car wouldn't have pictures but everyone else does? Anyone from Jersey able to swing by and check it out? :p

It's this guy... 2018 Model 3 | Tesla

Also, if it really is some kind of crazy good deal or something, don't buy it out from me! LOL

Low mileage wIth VIN in the 40K = lots of time spent in the shop, somebody likely dumped because of issues.

If I were you, I’d get the newest possible one. Mine had a much higher VIN than that and it was complete garbage.

Sounds like the OP is pushing to get all the information on all the cars available, but unwilling to give up any information about himself.
This is kinda normal for modern shoppers, but way to much drama creaping in.

I didn’t think you had to with Tesla, I thought they were different....

Every other car had pictures available. I didn’t think pictures were super secret or anything. When I’ve called Tesla before to ask specific questions about a car they’ve answered to the best of their ability (which has always been satisfactory to me!) without collecting my info or saying someone needed to call me back first. It’s been wonderful, I call a store ask for them to check on a car, find out it’s not available any more, or that it’s located in Canada instead of the USA (like it shows), or whatever else quirky about it, and then continue on my way. Like I said, when I ordered my car I didn’t even get a sales guy calling me back! Just a polite email about how to proceed next.

Why did someone have to call me to show me pictures? Other times they’ve sent me a link to pictures instantly, not even emailed them to me.