Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep an Eye on Rear Passengers Entering, Prevent Smashed Fingers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit generic, but I've seen it happen three times now in Model 3's...

Tesla Model 3 front seat occupants should, in particular, use caution when closing the front doors anytime someone with mobility impairment is entering the back seat area.

As the driver, I've now witnessed three times when the person entering the back seat area grabbed onto the B pillar for stability and the front seat passenger closed the door, pinching the rear seat entrant's fingers between the window and the window seal along the B pillar. In none of the cases was there any major finger damage--in particular, no broken bones--, but in one case, the skin was partially ripped on one of the gentlemen's fingers.

But even so, it is the scariest of situations to hear the rear seat occupant screaming for his or her life, thinking serious damage has occurred, especially if the front seat occupant is slow to open that door.

To protect anyone with even the slightest impairment, whether it's simple distraction, alcohol intake or permanent disability--, I've made it a habit to tell passengers--especially those new to the car--to "hang on a second" while rear seat occupants get situated and close their doors first.

Last edited:
Usually just the two of us in the front seats but something I’ll think about now. I know getting out of our MS on the passenger side I’ll sometimes reach up and grab the outer trim overhead since there’s no grab bar. Always feel much lower in that car and kind of sport seat feel getting in and out. I should probably sit in my car’s second row and see how it is for me entering and exiting. Once I had a finger shut in a car door and no fun. Thanks for the PSA!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deslah
3 times??
3 times. 3 completely different sets of passengers.

What can I say...I have friends, neighbors, and family. Some of them are in their 90s. Some of them aren't marathon runners and aren't always smooth on their feet. Some of them maybe have a secret case of hemorroids, walk bow-legged, and have trouble plopping down onto the back seat without holding something. Who knows?

In the past, if I'm parked with my door shut and already in the vehicle working out the route or the music, I wasn't monitoring the precise actions of adults around me. I do now.

In one case, it was a friend in the back seat and his wife sitting up front next to me because she gets carsick in the back of cars. She slammed her door and pinched her own husband's fingers in it. He was the rear seat passenger who had the injury with broken skin. In another case it was the fingertips of an elderly neighbor which got pinched when another neighbor up front shut her door. In the third case it was a friend who had a couple glasses of wine (not drunk, just happy) and apparently wanted to steady himself as he began to get in. A different friend up front slammed the front door on his fingers.

I do find it interesting is that it was never kids involved.

Bottom line: If the front and rear doors are open at the same time, it looked like a handy grip to at least three people I've crossed paths with. I don't blame it on Tesla; it's just one of those "stuff happens" kinds of things that others should be aware of.

Was there a greater point in your use of double question-marks? You think I'm a liar?

Are you guys saying this is a unique problem with this car?
Not necessarily. Different cars have different designs. But I also don't recall this ever happening in any other vehicle I've owned over the last 38 years.

This isn't a dig against my Model 3. I absolutely love it. I wouldn't redesign it in any way.

This was meant only as a reminder that not everyone is 18-25 and nimble, and if we're going to transport our loved ones in this or any vehicle, simple reminders of our differences are a good thing. I want my friends and family to love their experience in my Tesla and not constantly think back on that time they hurt themselves in it.

Reactions: sceptic
Yea what makes getting into the rear seat of a Model 3 fundamentally different than getting into the rear seat of a BMW 3 Series?
I don't know, but there's something different about it. I've owned 2 BMW 3-series and one 2-series and it never happened in those. (We sold our four-door 2-series to get the Model 3 almost exactly one year ago, so my BMW experiences aren't very far behind me.)

I don't know, but there's something different about it. I've owned 2 BMW 3-series and one 2-series and it never happened in those. (We sold our four-door 2-series to get the Model 3 almost exactly one year ago, so my BMW experiences aren't very far behind me.)
Thanks for the tip. I also have a BMW 3, E46, and a LR-AWD, and a 90+yr old parent. I only stick 90yr olds in the front seat, and shut the door for them. Don't know what I'd do if I had more than one 90yr old passenger!

I also never had this happen in any car, until a few years ago in our Model S. One elderly passenger getting in to the rear put her hand on the b-pillar, and another elderly passenger in the front closed his door. Some screams, but no real damage.

But for me, it's hard to draw a conclusion about Teslas being different from my single experience. Especially since we have driven Teslas exclusively for a decade, and this decade is also just when we've happened to start frequently driving elderly passengers around...

I've not had this happen in years and not in either Tesla, but it's a fair caution for any driver in any car with B-pillars to watch out for folks who need extra support getting in and out.

I had this happen in an old-style MB A-Class. My young son had grabbed the B-pillar while he clambered up into the car. I pulled the front door closed and wondered why it wouldn't shut. I tried again. Still not closing. As I started to try and close a third time he started wailing and when I turned around I realised what the obstacle was. :oops::(

Glad that it was a reasonably-well-made car so there was no real force involved in closing the doors. Just a firm squeeze on his little fingers between the layers of rubber seals.

In a previous work life I saw some pretty badly-mangled fingers and partial amputations from slammed car doors.