Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the free 19" Premium Upgrade, or Ask for the 18" Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting, so some of you order 18, when you see agreement it shows 18 and when you pick it up wheels are 19 but you are not being charged extra? What a deal. Unless some of you are are hoping to use 18 with snow tires that you have. I got my car with 19 as it seemed from early information 19 performed better all around. I have zero regrets so far, lets see how long the tires will last.

Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement generated on my account and yes, I am getting charged for the wheels. Looks like I get to make another call to Tesla tomorrow morning. My DA is not responding so I get to wait 30+ minutes on the line again for sales (they at least sounded like they knew what was going on).

DJ,

I just thought I'd check and see what the latest is with your M3 since I think you pick up on Tuesday. Any resolution on the purchase agreement and taking off the extra charge form premium wheels?

Reid

At the end of August, ordered a model 3 with the Aero wheels because the we couldn't justify the $1500 upgrade given the stated advantages of the 18" (ride, noise, and wear). Granted, I feel the arrow wheels are truly hideous looking, and we were planning on taking the plastic pipe plates off and putting on the nicer lug nuts and hub cover.

We were told it would take 2 to 4 months for "delivery" (which is a misnomer, because we live in the San Francisco Bay area and were told that we have to go to Fremont to pick it up) then, about a week ago we got a call saying that the car was ready for pickup. A few days later we received an email that confirmed in order change that they had changed the wheels from the arrow to the premium. They also included the additional cost, and it took about an hour phone calls to verify that they would not be charging us extra. (It would be nice if they would've simply stated that in an email…)

So while I definitely like the look of the 19 inch premium wheels better, I'm wondering if it will be worth the trade-off in terms of ride, noise, cost of tires, and faster tire wear. Yes, I hear that the 19 inch "perform" better, but what does that really mean in real life? My wife and I are parents, not testosterone-laden 20-year-olds that have a need to lay a patch at every stop sign.

So of course the question, keep the 19 inch wheels try to get the aero wheels? It may be a non-issue as Tesla may not be able to confirm delivery before the end of the year with the aero wheels, which is the only reason we ordered it now, to take advantage of the federal tax credits. But how hard would it be for them to simply swap wheels? I thought that there may be a whole different speedometer/odometer set up for the different size wheels, but read elsewhere that because of the narrower sidewall on the 19", the two tires are actually the same diameter, so that would suggest the speedometer/
odometer are the same.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Reid
DJ,

I just thought I'd check and see what the latest is with your M3 since I think you pick up on Tuesday. Any resolution on the purchase agreement and taking off the extra charge form premium wheels?

Reid

@reidthaler

Reid, I’m in CA and would love to swap out your 19” for Aeros with 200 miles on them if you’re interested.

I have ordered a M3 in the UK with the 18" Aero wheels and am wondering if I should have gone for the 19" option. I went for the Aero for a softer ride and lower road noise. Now I have read this thread I am doubtful of my choice even more. Is there anyone reading this thread that has experience of both options and could share their experience with regards to road noise and ride firmness?

Thanks