Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the free 19" Premium Upgrade, or Ask for the 18" Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the end of August, ordered a model 3 with the Aero wheels because the we couldn't justify the $1500 upgrade given the stated advantages of the 18" (ride, noise, and wear). Granted, I feel the arrow wheels are truly hideous looking, and we were planning on taking the plastic pipe plates off and putting on the nicer lug nuts and hub cover.

We were told it would take 2 to 4 months for "delivery" (which is a misnomer, because we live in the San Francisco Bay area and were told that we have to go to Fremont to pick it up) then, about a week ago we got a call saying that the car was ready for pickup. A few days later we received an email that confirmed in order change that they had changed the wheels from the arrow to the premium. They also included the additional cost, and it took about an hour phone calls to verify that they would not be charging us extra. (It would be nice if they would've simply stated that in an email…)

So while I definitely like the look of the 19 inch premium wheels better, I'm wondering if it will be worth the trade-off in terms of ride, noise, cost of tires, and faster tire wear. Yes, I hear that the 19 inch "perform" better, but what does that really mean in real life? My wife and I are parents, not testosterone-laden 20-year-olds that have a need to lay a patch at every stop sign.

So of course the question, keep the 19 inch wheels try to get the aero wheels? It may be a non-issue as Tesla may not be able to confirm delivery before the end of the year with the aero wheels, which is the only reason we ordered it now, to take advantage of the federal tax credits. But how hard would it be for them to simply swap wheels? I thought that there may be a whole different speedometer/odometer set up for the different size wheels, but read elsewhere that because of the narrower sidewall on the 19", the two tires are actually the same diameter, so that would suggest the speedometer/
odometer are the same.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Reid

If you were planning on taking off the aero wheel covers, then you wouldn't have the maximum range/efficiency benefit of the aero wheels anyway. I'd suggest keeping the 19" wheels. They look much better and reduce braking distance. The number of Model 3's is rapidly increasing in the region. It'll be easier for you to find your car in the parking lot if you have the 19" wheels. ;)

7BA92EC5-8D1D-4B33-85AE-4071D64C4FA0.jpeg
I would keep the 19’s. If you look at pricing on Tire Rack and compare, tires for 19’s are cheaper.

Thanks, And what about the trade offs of ride, noise, wear, and sound? Would the 19" be that different? I agree that the 19" wheels look SO much better.

I don't think there's much trade off with regard to ride and noise. It might even be better with the 19" wheels. I have the 20" wheels and love them. Very comfortable on all road surfaces. And noise is definitely not an issue.

Given the 19s look SO much better, the tires are materially the same price as the 18s, bith tires have teh dounde deadening foam, and there there is only 1/2" of sidewall difference...I say keep the 19s ALL DAY LONG. Worst case someone would likely trade you their 18s for your 19s even-Steven (or with a little extra cash in your pocket).

Have you seen the Aeros in real life yet? To me they look much better in person than on pictures. I also have the wheel cap kit and used that for a week. To me both configurations look good in different ways (the naked wheels look more conventional, the Aero covers more futuristic which fits the car well). It's nice to have both options to mix things up a bit. ;)

The primary reason for me to choose the Aeros was the increased efficiency (that is, after all, the main point of driving an EV). I also like having more rubber between the car and the often terrible California roads. If I ever feel the need for conventional silver wheels, I'd probably buy 18" after market rims (e.g. Tsportline).

If you got the 19s for free you are fortunate. I opted to get the standard aeros for eventual winter use and was considering buying the factory 19s or aftermarket wheels later.

If I got the 19s free I’d be thrilled and would just buy the Tesla aero winter package for $2K.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcorey
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments, I really appreciate your time and input.

Given that the 19" look better, we're willing to eat the increased efficiency of the aero wheels, the car is ready for pick up, and we could swap them out easily in the San Francisco Bay Area, and all the comments, it makes sense to keep the 19s, " so I can think about other things and stop spinning my wheels (sorry, I couldn't resist....)

I have a few other question I'll post elsewhere where appropriate, like can I put the 1450 plug outside? or is there a retractor for the cord like gas pumps have for their hoses.

Thanks again and see you around the forum!

Reid

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments, I really appreciate your time and input.

Given that the 19" look better, we're willing to eat the increased efficiency of the aero wheels, the car is ready for pick up, and we could swap them out easily in the San Francisco Bay Area, and all the comments, it makes sense to keep the 19s, " so I can think about other things and stop spinning my wheels (sorry, I couldn't resist....)
Enjoy. :)
I have a few other question I'll post elsewhere where appropriate, like can I put the 1450 plug outside? or is there a retractor for the cord like gas pumps have for their hoses.
Yes, you can install a 14-50 outlet outside, but if the location isn't sheltered you should use a weatherproof box. See e.g. this thread:

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Enclosure

The charger that comes with the Model 3 does not have a retractor mechanism. You can buy a cable organizer to mount on a wall from the Tesla shop though.

Enjoy. :)
Yes, you can install a 14-50 outlet outside, but if the location isn't sheltered you should use a weatherproof box. See e.g. this thread:

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Enclosure

The charger that comes with the Model 3 does not have a retractor mechanism. You can buy a cable organizer to mount on a wall from the Tesla shop though.

Eno,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question and to keep things on topic, added to the thread Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Enclosure at the end

Thanks,

Reid

I have seen owners selling Aero wheels with tires for $1000 (buying larger ones aftermarket). I suspect this will not be uncommon. I also suspect the 19s would easily sell for more. Low mileage, of course. So you may be able to decide after delivery, without penalty.