Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card names appear to be stored in the "cloud" and queried by the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
Picked up our Model Y today and noticed that it "knew" my existing key card's name from our Model 3 when I added it to the car.

I added the new Model Y keys to the Model 3 and gave them a name. When I went to the Model Y to add the rest of our Model 3 key cars I saw that it updated the history of activities on the key card page to reflect the names I gave when I was in the 3. Conclusion, the car sends and queries the names to the cloud.

BTW I tried to search for topic that mentioned this. Good grief that's almost an impossible task. If this is a duplicate thread I'm sure it will get reported/merged but man I see why duplicate threads happen. I wasn't about to read every post that had "key", "card" and "name" in some permutation in it. I then limited the search to thread titles only and none of those appeared to address this topic but I will confess I didn't try all the possible combinations either.

And the other lament is how I miss some of the clever things that Usenet allowed. It wasn't clear to me what forum I should post this, it was relevant to both Model 3 and Y but as far as I know there no equivalent to "cross posting" so it could appear in both forums. And yes, I know what cross posting was also abused. Just showing off my age I guess. I did end up choosing the Y forums because that was triggering event for me and I figured if this old news the odds were better than it would be new to folks with a Y.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and DOCAL
Interesting find.
If you had a phone with the Tesla app on it within bluetooth range, another possibility is that things may transfer through that.
Although the cloud does seem more likely, since both cars will have a VPN connection to there.

Interesting find.
If you had a phone with the Tesla app on it within bluetooth range, another possibility is that things may transfer through that.
Although the cloud does seem more likely, since both cars will have a VPN connection to there.

Hmm, possible. I had added my phone as key first to Y. I still suspect that the data is actually stored in the cloud and the most straightforward way for the car to get the data is query for it directly.