Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card technology?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Key Card based on RFID or some other technology? Is it safe from magnetic effects?

The usual advice is to store your key card in your wallet in case your phone battery dies. The problem with that is that there are many times when I choose to leave my sallet locked in the car.

But the key card is thin. It would easily fit into my phone case behind the phone, below the camera. It would be unobtrusive, unnoticed, and add negligible weight to the phone. But is it safe there?

Is it safe from the phone's transmitter? Is it safe from the effects of wireless charging? Will it block wireless charging, or can I charge my phone through it without issue? Are there any other concerns that I should consider?

Does anyone know?

An RFID chip is embedded in the Telsa Key Card. It should be safe anywhere you would leave your phone.

Wireless charging can be affected by the thickness and material of the phone case. Consult with the case manufacturer (that's what I did.) My preferred phone case is the Otterbox Defender however Otterbox customer support recommended the Otterbox Commuter case for wireless charging. I have not had any wireless charging issues using the Otterbox Commuter case with my iPhone SE2.

Upvote 0
An RFID chip is embedded in the Telsa Key Card. It should be safe anywhere you would leave your phone.

Wireless charging can be affected by the thickness and material of the phone case. Consult with the case manufacturer (that's what I did.) My preferred phone case is the Otterbox Defender however Otterbox customer support recommended the Otterbox Commuter case for wireless charging. I have not had any wireless charging issues using the Otterbox Commuter case with my iPhone SE2.
Thanks. I have an inexpensive (but quite adequate) case for my phone, and wireless charging works fine both at home and in the car. I don't think that the card will change that, but I'll try it to find out. My biggest concern was whether or not there was anything in the card that could be damaged by magnetism. As long as it is only RFID, then there should be nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0