Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the Model S keyfob has passive entry while the Model 3 keyfob does not. This could mean that the radios inside the S and 3 fobs are different; but I'm curious for a definitive answer as well. It's so hard to find the 3 fobs, but S fobs seem to be available different places.

The S and X key fobs use standard car fob frequencies, and hence are susceptible to relay attacks, whereas the Model 3 key fob and phone entry uses Bluetooth, so, no, the S/X fob won’t work with the Model 3.

Thanks Roy. I had a loaner modelS and found the key fob worked really well. The car would always passively unlock for me before I got to the door handle, whereas the model 3 takes its time especially if it's sleeping.. A bit of a pain in the rain.

Last edited:
Thanks Roy. I had a loaner modelS and found the key fob worked really well. The car would always passively unlock for me before I got to the door handle, whereas the model 3 takes its time especially if it's sleeping.. A bit of a pain in the rain.
You’re very welcome. I’ve no personal experience of the Model 3 fob, but I know a few folk on here have bought them. Perhaps someone can chip in with some feedback about how effective it is. I believe the latest version includes passive entry.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I have the fob for my Model 3, works flawlessly. I use it as a backup in case I ever lost my phone, and the cards were not convenient. It's far simpler to open the frunk with the key than the app. Otherwise it works like the app, the car allows an unlock when you press a door handle if the key is near.

The key has a motion sensor, so even if Bluetooth relay did exist, your key would be likely sleeping and unresponsive.

I’m really interested in this too - the fob seems way too easy to lose... unless you put it in an ugly rubber shell...

I thought it would be like the Porsche key fobs and it looks like a car, it’s sleek to hold, but you could put it on your keys (like every other car key/fob!) but haven’t witnessed this online!

Really interested in if anyone has and uses and finds a benefit over phone and keyless entry!

I have bought a keyfob ahead of my car's delivery in part because it will be the same concept as my Volvo with my house keys attached albeit to its rubber shell and also in case my phone is 'too close' to the car to reliably lock it.
The phone will be on my bedside table at the front of the house with the car just a few metres away.
I will only know for certain when I get the car.

I have the fob for my Model 3, works flawlessly. I use it as a backup in case I ever lost my phone, and the cards were not convenient. It's far simpler to open the frunk with the key than the app. Otherwise it works like the app, the car allows an unlock when you press a door handle if the key is near.

The key has a motion sensor, so even if Bluetooth relay did exist, your key would be likely sleeping and unresponsive.
Does it ever leave you standing in the rain waiting for the car to wake up whilst displaying open with card on the screen as it does with my phone? Or does it wake the car as you walk up to it like the MS one does?

Does it ever leave you standing in the rain waiting for the car to wake up whilst displaying open with card on the screen as it does with my phone? Or does it wake the car as you walk up to it like the MS one does?
Does your phone do this regularly? I’ve had the car for a year, and I can honestly say that what you describe has only happened to me perhaps four or five times. The phone unlock has been excellent. Have you tried a different phone to see if that improves things?

I always carry the key card in my wallet, but I’ve only ever had to use it to program a new phone into the car.

Does your phone do this regularly? I’ve had the car for a year, and I can honestly say that what you describe has only happened to me perhaps four or five times. The phone unlock has been excellent. Have you tried a different phone to see if that improves things?

I always carry the key card in my wallet, but I’ve only ever had to use it to program a new phone into the car.

Fairly regularly, yes Roy, I have learnt to walk slowly up to the car to give it time. And if its raining, use the app to open the car before leaving the porch. But there's always the time where you've been out walking or at the shops and it's raining and you just want to get in the car and you're left pulling on the handle saying come on come on!!..and then by the 4th pull you reach into your pocket to get he phone and by the time the app has loaded the car will open!! The loaner MS was great..anywhere near it and the handles popped out.

I've not had a problem like that with phone or keyfob. It doesn't wake the car as far as I can see, that happens as I press the door handle, but it detects the key and unlocks immediately.

Fairly regularly, yes Roy, I have learnt to walk slowly up to the car to give it time. And if its raining, use the app to open the car before leaving the porch. But there's always the time where you've been out walking or at the shops and it's raining and you just want to get in the car and you're left pulling on the handle saying come on come on!!..and then by the 4th pull you reach into your pocket to get he phone and by the time the app has loaded the car will open!! The loaner MS was great..anywhere near it and the handles popped out.
The few times it’s happened to me the phone has been in my pocket, as usual. I’ve never had to open the app to get into the car, only take the phone out of my pocket.

I’d be inclined to borrow a phone and set it up as a key to try it. If that also shows the same behaviour you may have a car problem.

It unlocks the doors before the car properly wakes up.
It’s instant and I’m happy I bought one.