Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob dies within a couple uses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issues with my keyfob. I was getting a low battery warning even after changing the battery. I then decided to get a completely fresh pack of batteries, which made that message go away, but the keyfob works a couple times then stops working. I've tried 5 different batteries and changing it in the car for the M3 to recognize it.

I've tried to reach out to Tesla but their CS is awful. No response. And the keyfob is OOS. So I can't get a new one.

What do I do?

I'm having issues with my keyfob. I was getting a low battery warning even after changing the battery. I then decided to get a completely fresh pack of batteries, which made that message go away, but the keyfob works a couple times then stops working. I've tried 5 different batteries and changing it in the car for the M3 to recognize it.

I've tried to reach out to Tesla but their CS is awful. No response. And the keyfob is OOS. So I can't get a new one.

What do I do?
Setup a notification for when the keyfob comes back in stock, then buy it then? I just bought one. I waited about a week for it to come back in stock, and ordered it when I got the notification.

Today I noticed that if I'm on the "Locks" setting and I have my keyfob directly against the console key registration spot, the car does recognize the fob. The second it moves off that spot, it no longer recognizes it.

How can this be?

The key fob also has an NFC chip built in. So even if your key fob's battery is completely dead you can still use it the same way as you could a regular key card.