Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. When I walk away from my Mercedes I press the lock button, it goes into the fob softly and I hear the reassuring "click!" as the locks go down. When I walk away from my Roadster I press the lock button, look over my shoulder to see if the brake lights flash, they don't, so I return to the driver's side door and press the button again, but now I can't see the lights flash, so I press it again to see if it honks, it doesn't, so I walk to the front of the car, press the button again, ad nauseum. It's ridiculous. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.
My Corvette was even easier - you never had to touch the fob. Walk up to car, car verifies fob, opens door. Same for the trunk. Same for engine start. To lock just walk away from the car - locks automatically.

I'm fine w/ the Roadster being less refined as I knew it going in - as others have said they were limited by what Lotus had done. I just hope Model S has all this kind of stuff sorted.

1.5 is a hold not a double click. Probably did not update the manual.

Ah. Funnily enough that's how I assumed it would work when I first got the car. It's not in the manual either, but if you hold down the button on a 2.0 it sounds the alarm!

The first week with the car I was really scratching my head, because sometimes it would work but mostly it would set off the alarm. Eventually I figured it out. Doh!

It's the same with the 2.5 Doug...I was setting the alarm off left, right & center:redface:

I figured out the double click by default...trying to hold the button down long enough to work, but short of setting off the alarm....a little annoying as I use the trunk every day.

Ah. Funnily enough that's how I assumed it would work when I first got the car. It's not in the manual either, but if you hold down the button on a 2.0 it sounds the alarm!

The first week with the car I was really scratching my head, because sometimes it would work but mostly it would set off the alarm. Eventually I figured it out. Doh!

My salesman replied with a quote from the newest manual, and indeed it does say to press twice... Check it out.

Programmable button
You can program the top button on the key fob to perform one of the following functions: • Alarm — sounds the horn and flashes the exterior lights flash for one minute. Press again to cancel the alarm. • Trunk release — opens the trunk • HomeLink® device — operates a HomeLink device such as a garage door or gate By default, Tesla has programmed this key to open the trunk. To re-program this button, use the Touch Screen. Refer to the Touch Screen Users Manual, provided in your owners package. To activate the programmed function, press the button twice.