Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob not working after battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several threads about this, I had the same problem last year and also had to have Tesla reset the car’s fob programming. This seems to be one reason they do the fob battery replacement at the annual service because they have the car in the shop.

Last week I did replace the battery in one fob of my X and it worked. Here’s what I did different. I did it in a few seconds and within range of the car. I’m surmising that having the car awake and seeing the fob had it accept/re-acknowledge the fob when it came online. Before I did it in the house and it didn’t recognize it.

I’ve never heard of one dying killing both of them but anything is possible. I also thought that perhaps it has been made better with recent software but obviously not, so perhaps my process helped (short downtime, car active, etc.).
Yes, this worked for me on my 2020 MX LRP. Thank you!

Same issue. The OG battery works, i have a ton of cheap 2032s, NONE work. I look closely and I can see the metal side's are thicker on the working one then the others I have. Im going to make a solid guess that's why. The whole working battery actually looks a bit thicker.

Same issue. The OG battery works, i have a ton of cheap 2032s, NONE work. I look closely and I can see the metal side's are thicker on the working one then the others I have. Im going to make a solid guess that's why. The whole working battery actually looks a bit thicker.
A CR2032 will not work. It needs a CR2354, twice as thick as the 2032. Available at Batteries Plus or Amazon