Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I think you need a backup as sometimes I've been far from home and wondered if I loose my phone or the battery dies, im screwed.

Also, the fob is cool!

The backup in the situation you describe is the card key. Anyone that is carrying their ID around is likely doing so in a way that they could add the card key to that storage (wallet, fanny pack, back, briefcase, etc) and have the card key as a backup.

The "I need a backup" thing doesnt work as a reason to have a keyfob in addition to the card key and phone key. Lets just call it like it is, either a person thinks its cool, or used to carrying one around and feels naked without it (and wants to "stick with what they know" regarding car keys.

Im not shaming anyone, because I bought a model 3 keyfob too, about a month after I got the car. I carry it every day, on the same car ring I have my wifes BMW car key that has keyless entry. The ONLY time my keyfob has been used is to give to tesla service advisors when I have dropped my car off for service.

I totally understand why someone wants one, but I am saying that " I need a backup" isnt really the reason because we all have a backup already (the card).