Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob

Dmhkap

Jan 12, 2017
Oklahoma
Having issues with key fobs I can lock and unlock but the car doesn’t recognize the key fob and have to start with phone tried upgrading by placing in center console replacing battery hard restart taking battery out for 10 minutes at a loss now any thoughts?

Dmhkap

Jan 12, 2017
Oklahoma
No that’s the odd thing can lock and unlock by pushing key fob doesn’t recognize proximity won’t start the car can lock and unlock inside the car with key fob but getting key not found error and won’t start even if I just locked and unlocked car from keyfob

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I think you have some interference in the console near the receiver for the key fob. When the key is not working, what electronics are near the receiver? Is your phone charging? Any other accessories using the USBs in the console? If so, stop the power going to the accessories and remove your phone from the charger. Your problem should go away. This happened to me when the phone was charging in the console cradle.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
@DerbyDave, good catch on the electronics interfering with the signal. We don't see this one often considering people are finally understanding that.
@Dmhkap, its a good idea to not carry your phone near your fob. For example, most men have learned we must/can put the phone in one front pocket and fob in the other front pocket to insure the devices are far enough apart to avoid phone causing interference and blocking fob signal. We used to regularly see reports that fob and phones in the purse would prevent fob working too.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
Tesla evidently has a new phone charger part for affected vehicles to eliminate this issue when the phone is charging in the factory charger. That replacement seems to have fixed my problem.

Rtowne

Jan 18, 2021
SLC
Settings>passive entry. This was turned OFF by Tesla in a recent software update and gave me the exact same symptoms until I found the setting and turned passive entry back on. They did this as a response to some hacker group proving that they could walk by your keys and sniff the code with a custom built hacking device and relay the code back to your car to start it and potentially steal it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC