Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless entry needs "always connected'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
This is a "doh" moment but I learned the hard way that the longest you will ever have to wait for the car to connect will be that time when you left the key in the car and need to get in keyless entry mode, but left the energy saver box for staying connected unchecked. And it's raining... LOL!

Can you explain more? Won't door handles respond to pressing them when the car is parked and key is inside? Is that a safety feature against carjacking?

By keyless entry mode, do you mean using the Tesla App to unlock the doors?

Right on both counts. This is after the car had been sitting for an hour or more. I may not have tried hard enough to get it to open by pressing the handles, and may have been assuming it would have locked itself.

But if you need to get in without a key in hand, it's not a good idea to have that box unchecked, especially in the rain! ;-)

Right on both counts. This is after the car had been sitting for an hour or more. I may not have tried hard enough to get it to open by pressing the handles, and may have been assuming it would have locked itself.

But if you need to get in without a key in hand, it's not a good idea to have that box unchecked, especially in the rain! ;-)

I thought the car would not lock with key inside. Another post cited that as how a thief managed to steal their Model S from a parking lot (only to be caught when the owners used the Tesla App to locate it and vector the police to nab him).