Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of interesting in that the trend seen at the anaheimpreownedcars website is that used Leafs and Fiat 500e's are going for something like $<8,000. So anybody know why my similar (i.e. 90 AER) vehicle would be worth twice that?
It's probably not. The key is the phrase "up to" in their offer. I doubt that they have any intention to actually give you that much. Just a ploy to get you onto their lot.

Reactions: MikeBur
Bump to see if any current Soul EV owners are seeing this same thing that I am seeing, or offer some advice. It has to do with my main battery display, or possibly the main battery itself. Here is the display:

ecobattery_zpsqml1exhy.jpg

The lower 6 (3 white and 3 red) bars on the charge level indicator often blink on and off. This happens maybe once every 15-20 seconds. Not all 6 blink off/on every time. When they go off, they come back on very quickly. There are no other warning lights coming on indicating that anything is wrong. Going to take the car into the shop to have it checked, just curious to see whether anyone else has seen this. I suppose it could be a display problem too, depending on whether the display is a set of discrete lights for each bar, which it seems to be.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Almost all of them do the blinking bar thing, mine certainly does. Replacing the instrument cluster does not fix the issue and there is no known fix as far as I know.

Don't let them try to replace the cluster as it resets your odometer and may introduce rattles. My blinking generally stops after power cycling the car.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Not EV related at all, but I saw one of these in the wild for the first time yesterday. Heard about the special "Brownstone Edition" Soul while trying to find out when/if the 2018 EV with the larger 30kwh pack would be hitting the US. If they offered a 100 mile range Brownstone EV in 2018, I could totally see this as our second leased commuter car in addition to the Model 3...

Brownstone%20Kia%20Soul%202_zps2zolj1sr.jpg

Not EV related at all, but I saw one of these in the wild for the first time yesterday. Heard about the special "Brownstone Edition" Soul while trying to find out when/if the 2018 EV with the larger 30kwh pack would be hitting the US. If they offered a 100 mile range Brownstone EV in 2018, I could totally see this as our second leased commuter car in addition to the Model 3...

Brownstone%20Kia%20Soul%202_zps2zolj1sr.jpg

EPA range for the ‘18 Soul EV is 111 miles and can be found at fueleconomy.gov.

Last edited:
Interesting that quite a bit of the added range for the 2018 model is due to the 80% charging setting going away. A poster there said the EPA uses the average of the 80 and 100 charge for the sticker. Supposedly gets about 8 more actual miles.

On the positive side, Kia sold 300 units in the US per insideevs, which I believe is a record high!

The Hamster is back, and he is larger than ever. :D

RT

Lease is coming due in early December. Still trying to figure out exactly what to do with the car. Current thinking is that I'll return it after the lease ends and move on to the Model 3. Anyone here facing the same kind of decision? I did a little searching to see whether it might make sense to buy it off the residual (~$16,400) and sell it to someone else. I found a bunch of 2015's for sale on truecar:

Used 2015 Kia Soul EV for Sale | 14 Used 2015 Soul EV Listings | TrueCar

Pricing seems to be between $16k and $17k, so not likely I would make a killing going the buy/sell route. I did buy my 2013 Prius off the lease and sold it to a relative. So I have not returned a leased car yet back after the lease was up. If money were no object and I had a space to park this guy, I would definitely keep the car. Love the higher seating, which I will most likely not have in the Model 3. I may end up getting the Model 3, then signing up for the Model Y as soon as they start taking reservations.

Anyone want to buy a very well taken care of Hamster mobile with 24,000 miles? :)

RT

It's starting to look like I will be returning my Soul after the lease expires in early December. When I talked to them about returning the car, they said that I needed to have the tow hitch removed. If anyone is interested in a free tow hitch, send me a PM. I had it installed by a company in I believe Duarte. So maybe we would end up meeting there and having them do a simple swap between the cars?

See upthread for the make and model of the hitch. It's possible that it might fit a non-EV Soul too, not sure.

RT

Pack still charges to close to 100 miles just like when I got it. Someone I know is considering possibly buying the car, and I sent them a link to an INL report page showing Kia Soul EV battery degradation testing being done on 4 vehicles. I thought that study was linked somewhere in this thread, I would have to search to find it. Anyway, it's possible that any degradation in my pack is still within the ~3kWh at the top that they don't let us use. I have low mileage (25,000) and treat the battery very well. Here is the INL page in question:

2015 Kia Soul EV | Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity

Pack still charges to close to 100 miles just like when I got it. Someone I know is considering possibly buying the car, and I sent them a link to an INL report page showing Kia Soul EV battery degradation testing being done on 4 vehicles. I thought that study was linked somewhere in this thread, I would have to search to find it. Anyway, it's possible that any degradation in my pack is still within the ~3kWh at the top that they don't let us use. I have low mileage (25,000) and treat the battery very well. Here is the INL page in question:

2015 Kia Soul EV | Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity

Ah, yes... 25k miles. Hmmm... seems that maybe the degradation leveled off well. The INL reports have only 12k miles and already the pack degradation ate up all the extra margin.

Tow hitch has now been removed. Will list it on eBay unless someone here wants it. They had to cut through the rear under body cover to attach the hitch, just FYI. Pickup would be in Pasadena. It also fits a normal Kia Soul too.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, though that isn't really necessary. Case hitch made in USA, very good quality ;)

RT

Going in for the 25,000 service tomorrow. I asked about recall work, and they mentioned something about a "logic" update. Asked the person on the phone what that actually meant, and she said they just update the "logic". ;)

Anyone have any additional info what the update actually does?

RT

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
I had a strut replaced the other day as part of routine 25,000 maintenance. I asked them if the added weight of the battery might have contributed to this. The guy said they see a fair number of Soul EV's (Car Pros Kia, Carson) and this was the first one he had seen go bad.

They also did two logic updates, which I mentioned above. I have the technical bulletins associated with those and can post them if anyone is interested. One had to do with cold weather and the car sitting idle for long periods. I forget what the other one was for, maybe something to do with an electronic module needing replacing.

RT

...They also did two logic updates, which I mentioned above. I have the technical bulletins associated with those and can post them if anyone is interested. One had to do with cold weather and the car sitting idle for long periods. I forget what the other one was for, maybe something to do with an electronic module needing replacing...
Yes, I'm interested. Please post the technical bulletins. Either here or in the relevant threads on the Soul EV forum.

1/. BMS software update

2/. What's fixed in 170069 Logic Improvement?

@jejusoul what do I need to install to capture the battery info you all are discussing on this thread:

Battery Ageing Model - Page 30 - Kia Soul EV Forum

Looks like a reference to Torque software plus maybe an OBD port hardware device?

Let me know, @Mrs Rubbertoe just bought the Soul EV off the lease and I think it would be good to check the battery. Probably would have been good to check it sooner, but I suspect that all is well given my driving habits (short commute, 80% maximum charge, never floor the accelerator, etc.).

RT