Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kiva [Micro-lending to the less fortunate] [TMC Team?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
I've long been a lending participant over at Kiva, one of my favorite 'charities'. Kiva is a microfinance group that takes lending funds from folks like you and me and provides it interest-free to on-the-ground partners in impoverished areas who then manage loans to local people. The end result is that those folks are able to obtain funding for various projects at better terms than they'd get through a bank (if there's even such a thing as a bank where they're at, and if they could even hope to be approved).

You can participate in loans in increments of $25, making it simple to get started without deciding to make a significant financial commitment. At the end of a loan, you can either take your money back or re-lend it. (Defaults are very rare-- < 2%.) It thus makes a good 'keeps on giving' charity as you can periodically put in small amounts and keep re-lending as time goes on.

I've been lending on Kiva for over a decade now, and have participated in 113 loans. My default rate has been 1.18%. As I've now been participating in the TMC community for several years, I thought it time to see if there's interest here in starting our own Kiva team. In general the TMC membership tends to include relatively fortunate folk (if we own or are preparing to own $35k+ vehicles!), and I think we can make a significant impact if we choose to do so. And on a humorous note, you fund your chosen loans via PayPal, so there's a bit of a Musk connection. :)

Anyway, About Kiva, Charity Navigator 4-star rating, and a TMC team invite link.

TMC Mods/Owners - If you are not comfortable with an unofficial TMC team, let me know and I can kill it.

Also, kudos to you, Bonnie. That's a heck of a generous loan history. I approved your join request.

As more of you join, chime in with your thoughts on the name. I swapped it to Tesla Enthusiasts for the time being.

Think of how easily you spend $25 (give up a few trips to Starbucks!) & consider making just one loan to someone in need.

To give folks a flavor of what their $25 can do ...

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.02.16 AM.png

Reactions: TMSE
We've now got nine members, so thanks go out to each of you who has joined. I'll stop bumping this thread outside of milestone points for our group. Here's one last posting of the invite link before we fade into the night for awhile. I should also mention that since we changed the group name to 'Tesla Enthusiasts' rather than TMC, feel free to invite other Tesla enthusiast folk you may know from outside the TMC confines.

We've now got nine members, so thanks go out to each of you who has joined. I'll stop bumping this thread outside of milestone points for our group. Here's one last posting of the invite link before we fade into the night for awhile. I should also mention that since we changed the group name to 'Tesla Enthusiasts' rather than TMC, feel free to invite other Tesla enthusiast folk you may know from outside the TMC confines.
I signed up using your referral link but am not quite sure what the benefits are of being in a team. The loan I helped fund shows it funded by me and a team. Can you explain what the benefits are of joining a team? Would we fund loans as a group?

I signed up using your referral link but am not quite sure what the benefits are of being in a team. The loan I helped fund shows it funded by me and a team. Can you explain what the benefits are of joining a team? Would we fund loans as a group?

The benefits are ephemeral--we can see each other's loans (and contribute to those which are still funding), track the group's combined impact, etc. At the end of the day there's no direct impact on the loans you fund.