Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Klunking from window when raising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have klunking noises from their windows?
Specifically, my driver's side window makes 2-3 loud(ish) bump noises
just before it finishes closing. The sound/vibration comes from directly under where the
window is coming out from (i.e. middle-top of the door).

It happened reliably last night, but didn't happen this morning (yet).

Does it happen when the car is in motion and you raise the window, or when the car is stationary? I ask for a good reason.

And before you answer, try this. Press the window button down and hold it for about 10 seconds after the window has gone all the way down. Then release it and click the button up to raise the window. Does it still make the clicking bump noise?

Hi @FlyF4

We discovered it while driving, and heard the noise every time while driving.
My experiments the next morning (where it didn't make a sound) were all while stationary.

Just went out and tried it while parked... no sound at all.
Also tried holding the button for an extra 10 secs, then immediately raising the window.
Does that make sense?

I had the issue. It was the door release cable was hitting against the window regulator. The cable runs from the door handle to the latch mechanism. It the strain relief is not taught, the cable may hit the regulator. Since I am car savvy, I removed the panel and tightened the cable. That required plastic interior panel removal tools. The fasteners on the Tesla doors are TIGHT, so don't try with a screw driver.

For most, I would recommend the SC to have the issue corrected. It may be something you can have them do quickly. I would imagine is a common (known) issue.

Thanks. I'll do some more experiments when driving.
The car needs to go back to the SC soon as the washer fluid sensor is faulty, and
the right windscreen wiper does not squirt flat. That would be a good time for them
to look into it.

Cheers.

Hi @FlyF4

We discovered it while driving, and heard the noise every time while driving.
My experiments the next morning (where it didn't make a sound) were all while stationary.

Just went out and tried it while parked... no sound at all.
Also tried holding the button for an extra 10 secs, then immediately raising the window.
Does that make sense?

Interesting. The reason I asked if you were driving at the time is because there is an issue with the Tesla which I would call a design problem that can sometimes cause the issue you mention. As you know, the window is not in a "frame" as most cars are. Thus as it raises, it is vulnerable to any sort of pressure either inward or outward. At freeway speeds, this can cause wind pressure (or vacuum) on the window. If it has sideways pressure on the window while going up, there is a point where the sensor and drive component can go nuts and cause a klunking sound. Sometimes it is really loud and can concern you that the window is going to break. Some mechanisms are more sensitive than others. The higher your speed, the greater the problem and if there is a crosswind and you have the opposite window open where wind is blowing through the car, then you may never get that window rolled up without stopping the car.

My opinion is that the Tesla does not have good window vertical control as it rolls up or down like some of the other car models on the market which have a vertical track on both sides of the glass inside the door. Hopefully, Tesla will think about this and do something about it. Using the recalibration process will not correct this issue. This is just totally my opinion by analyzing the design of the inside of the door window mechanism and measuring the side pressures on the window at freeway speeds. You can probably simulate this by applying a slight inward or outward pressure on the window as it raises. I said "Slight". Don't break your window.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl