Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kona Demand Looking Strong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently there's a lot of interest in the Kona. I decided to "pre-order" one for my wife (which turned out NOT to be an actual pre-order) and got an error that the storage was full. I sure hope Tesla can hurry up and get the Y to market. I'm afraid the import SUVs with 250 miles of range are going to shutdown sales of the 3 in a hurry. This plain SUV is all Tesla needs to make. No bio-defense mode, no falcon wing doors, no self presenting doors, or any of that other stuff that people like (and want), but simply can't afford to pay for. Just HURRY UP and get the dang thing to market!!

upload_2019-2-11_7-22-56.png

Don't worry, the US-market Kona EV's aircooled battery will just mean more sales for Tesla in the future. ;)

For a more serious analysis... so I could see the Kona EV (as well as the Niro EV, which I suspect is the superior vehicle of the two despite reduced efficiency) taking some sales that would go to the Model 3 SR and MR otherwise. The CUV form factor and the hatch could be useful, and I could also see plenty of people preferring the more conventional interior layout.

However, the state of the CCS charging network isn't yet as good, and even when you do find a 150 kW CCS charger that works, it won't charge anywhere near fast as a Model 3 MR (IIRC Bjørn's testing found the (liquid-cooled European) Kona topped out at about 80 kW?), in addition to the higher efficiency of the Model 3 making it even worse for the Hyundai (and Kia). That's a huge advantage that the Model 3 still has, and at least the significant charging speed (and probably better charging network) will be an advantage for the Model Y.

Don't worry, the US-market Kona EV's aircooled battery will just mean more sales for Tesla in the future. ;)

For a more serious analysis... so I could see the Kona EV (as well as the Niro EV, which I suspect is the superior vehicle of the two despite reduced efficiency) taking some sales that would go to the Model 3 SR and MR otherwise. The CUV form factor and the hatch could be useful, and I could also see plenty of people preferring the more conventional interior layout.

However, the state of the CCS charging network isn't yet as good, and even when you do find a 150 kW CCS charger that works, it won't charge anywhere near fast as a Model 3 MR (IIRC Bjørn's testing found the (liquid-cooled European) Kona topped out at about 80 kW?), in addition to the higher efficiency of the Model 3 making it even worse for the Hyundai (and Kia). That's a huge advantage that the Model 3 still has, and at least the significant charging speed (and probably better charging network) will be an advantage for the Model Y.
Not sure your “air-cooled battery” assertion is correct:
Exclusive: details on Hyundai’s new battery thermal management design
Kona seems a very strong competitor for Tesla models both present and future, especially for buyers looking for a car, not a (computerized) statement.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004