Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KW - very poor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Travelled from Montana to California several times within the past 2.5 years. This last adventure, 10/25 - 11/03, was the worst. I always use the super chargers as they are placed generally well. Never hit over 50 kw even when there were no other Tesla vehicles present. Out normal 14 hour trip took 20 hours. Never again. Boo to whoever is in charge.

There are a few things that could have caused this:

1. You aren't picking the superchargers as a destination so the car isn't preconditioning.
2. It was unusually cold (and in conjunction with No. 1)
3. You are going to the superchargers with a high state of charge (60% or more)
4. The superchargers you picked are urban chargers and max out at 72KW
5. There's simply something wrong with your car.

I've been able to get the max (albeit shortly) for whatever supercharger I use (150kw v2, 250kw v3, etc) but making sure I pick it as a destination and arrive with 10% or less. Only getting 50kw is definitely unusual.

Franky, I doubt it's any of the first 4 as you mentioned you've made the drive many times over 2.5 years -- so I assume you're savvy as to tesla road trips. Probably time to get the car looked at. Before I did that, I'd probably let the battery get pretty low and take it to a local supercharger (if you have one) and check your results.

FYI, urban superchargers look like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-10 164330.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-10 164330.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There is a 350 kWh version 3 Supercharger in Helena, you might try that one. Be sure to chose that SC as your destination. It will probably precondition for your entire drive from Lincoln. I'd try that approach before you get too excited about your charging problem.
On a side note: Last winter I stopped in Helena and forgot to precondition - it was near zero temperature and I was at 50% SOC and was only able to get like 40 kWh out of the 350 kWh charger. So the outside temp and my lack of preconditioning contributed to my poor charge session.

There is a 350 kWh version 3 Supercharger in Helena, you might try that one. Be sure to chose that SC as your destination. It will probably precondition for your entire drive from Lincoln. I'd try that approach before you get too excited about your charging problem.
On a side note: Last winter I stopped in Helena and forgot to precondition - it was near zero temperature and I was at 50% SOC and was only able to get like 40 kWh out of the 350 kWh charger. So the outside temp and my lack of preconditioning contributed to my poor charge session.
Is it really 350Kw? I am given to understand that all V3 chargers top out at 250Kw.

And yeah it sounds like there is something wrong with your vehicle. I had an S loaner several months ago that could only achieve similar supercharging speeds.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There are a few things that could have caused this:

1. You aren't picking the superchargers as a destination so the car isn't preconditioning.
2. It was unusually cold (and in conjunction with No. 1)
3. You are going to the superchargers with a high state of charge (60% or more)
4. The superchargers you picked are urban chargers and max out at 72KW
5. There's simply something wrong with your car.

I've been able to get the max (albeit shortly) for whatever supercharger I use (150kw v2, 250kw v3, etc) but making sure I pick it as a destination and arrive with 10% or less. Only getting 50kw is definitely unusual.

Franky, I doubt it's any of the first 4 as you mentioned you've made the drive many times over 2.5 years -- so I assume you're savvy as to tesla road trips. Probably time to get the car looked at. Before I did that, I'd probably let the battery get pretty low and take it to a local supercharger (if you have one) and check your results.

FYI, urban superchargers look like this:
Yeah, good points. Not enough info by the OP to determine whether there really is a problem.