Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA Area People, watch out! They are stealing Nose Cones Now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nada. Nothing. I reached out by phone to the Mercedes Dealer GM. Crickets. The facebook video has been viewed 17.4k times. Still nothing.
Hopefully this guy will get caught. It's just not cool to steal other people sh1t.
Sorry to hear. I don’t get his motive though. Why did he JUST steal the nose cone? Why didn’t he just dismantle the car piece by piece?

Uh.... no. Prop 47 just categorized some non-violent offenses as misdemeanors instead of felonies among other things. California Proposition 47 (2014) - Wikipedia So far the recent uptick in crime doesn't appear to be related and likely has more to do with economics than prop 47. Proposition 47 not responsible for recent upticks in crime across California, UCI study says

In general, non-violent crimes aren't going to get much traction. My mom had nearly $10k in credit card fraud, which we, fortunately, caught quickly and was promptly charged back. The local detective assigned to the case after we filed a police report more or less said he had more important stuff to do, which I fully support. If and when CA LE catches on on violent crimes (murder, assault, rape, etc...), then I think it's fair to criticize them for not following up on property/drug crimes. Until then, it is what it is.

Your study is a bit flawed... CA law enforcement is not interested in any "non-violent" crime in general... google SF crime rates:cool:
LEOs know that the local DA will not prosecute these property crimes and will continue to practice "catch and release" policing.

Last edited:
Your study is a bit flawed... CA law enforcement is not interested in any "non-violent" crime in general... google SF crime rates:cool:
LEOs know that the local DA will not prosecute these property crimes and will continue to practice "catch and release" policing.

It ain't my study, people charged with misdemeanors have generally been released unless they're deemed high risk for some reason, and police can still arrest misdemeanor offenders.

No, Prop 47 didn't de-criminalize misdemeanors - Los Angeles Times

California law generally requires judges to release misdemeanor defendants on their own recognizance, but it also makes exceptions for those deemed to be high risks to reoffend or to fail to show up for future court appearances. If judges believe current law does not give them enough authority to exercise their discretion, then lawmakers should take note: Some statutory adjustment may be in order. The same is true for police decisions on the street. City attorneys should be in a position to advise police that they may arrest suspected misdemeanor offenders, and that the charges can stick.

Prop. 47 is linked to increase in auto thefts, study says

Shoot, we could change the criminal code so that anyone with any traffic or parking infraction is charged with a felony, and the streets will be safer so to speak, but I don't think it's worth the $70+k per inmate per year.

Car break ins may be up because of prop 47.

Prop. 47 is linked to increase in auto thefts, study says

The thing is, unless those break ins are averaging $40k per incident, all classifying them as felonies will do is externalize the cost of people leaving stuff that's easily stolen inside their cars to the state as a whole via prisons. Like our local police chief pointed out, most auto break ins are crimes of opportunity. Lock your car, don't leave anything in it, and if you're in a high crime area, do the same for your trunk and leave the seats down so people can see there isn't anything to steal. That's usually enough to deter all but the most drug-addled thieves.

The Myth That Crime Rises as Prisons Shrink

Speeding is one of those things that's just a misdemeanor, but could still result in significant harm, so I can see hitting that. I agree with the majority of parking tickets, but unfortunately those are a big revenue stream. There are also legit tickets for blocking fire lanes, and so on.

I guess I'm just lucky and have either driven beaters or taken steps to keep stuff out of my nicer cars, but I've only had one break-in in the two decades I've been driving. Don't keep a bunch of crap in your car, and if you're in a high crime area and/or have a car that's easier to brake into, like a 3, leave the back seats folded down when you park your car. DW made a habit out of this when she went to Berkeley in the 90s after having her Accord's trunk broken into so many times she had to have the trunk lock/latch replaced.
Speeding is not a misdemeanor in California. It’s a traffic infraction.

They should catch and release these guys to Afghanistan. Not back on the streets of SF....

In case you guys would like to share I have great quality camera footage of the ass hat that stole my nose cone from my 85D.
This happened at 5pm in front of a bank in Northridge CA.
People all over.
The perp had paper plates.

Disturbing- the guy seems so relaxed anobut grand theft auto. Does he realize that when he gets caught he will be spending time behind bars in an unpleasant, overcrowded prison. Also, if such great quality video is available then why isn’t this guy in jail? I’m the police don’t want to move on something like this then it reall calls into question the reason to have such a cam. Sure you get an interesting video but no justice.

Speeding is not a misdemeanor in California. It’s a traffic infraction.
Touche! I guess DUI in that case. I still think using resources to ticket speeders/light runners is justified given the physics of 2+ ton death machines with inattentive drivers.

Don't think that strategy helps with model S nose cones.
True. Some steel cable through one or more of the fastener mounts might be able to though.

Case closed... Prop. 47 is linked to increase in auto thefts, study says

In San Francisco, auto break-ins soared, by 24 percent last year to a total of 31,222, according to police data. Michele Hanisee, president of the prosecutors’ group, also disputed the conclusion in Tuesday’s report that Prop. 47 had led to lower recidivism rates.

She said the reason police were making fewer arrests for crimes such as shoplifting and auto break-ins was that state law prohibits officers from arresting people for misdemeanor crimes that an officer did not personally observe.
Police can arrest for a felony not in their presence” but not for a theft that is now classified as a misdemeanor, Hanisee said. “For people whose car gets burglarized, the police can do nothing.”

Case closed... Prop. 47 is linked to increase in auto thefts, study says

In San Francisco, auto break-ins soared, by 24 percent last year to a total of 31,222, according to police data. Michele Hanisee, president of the prosecutors’ group, also disputed the conclusion in Tuesday’s report that Prop. 47 had led to lower recidivism rates.

She said the reason police were making fewer arrests for crimes such as shoplifting and auto break-ins was that state law prohibits officers from arresting people for misdemeanor crimes that an officer did not personally observe.
Police can arrest for a felony not in their presence” but not for a theft that is now classified as a misdemeanor, Hanisee said. “For people whose car gets burglarized, the police can do nothing.”
Sure... Clearly the smart thing to do is spend hundreds of thousands of dollars incarcerating people for <$1,000 property/etc crimes.

Why stop there? We could turn any misdemeanor or infraction into a felony! :p

gywo.prisons.gif

Sure... Clearly the smart thing to do is spend hundreds of thousands of dollars incarcerating people for <$1,000 property/etc crimes.

Why stop there? We could turn any misdemeanor or infraction into a felony! :p

gywo.prisons.gif
We need to make prison a punishment facility, again drop these shetzheads off in Afghanistan, if they make it home, great they will tell others, if they don't who cares.. I would shut down all the prisons and drop these guys off, they can survive on their own.
We need more Devils Island Penal Colonies and less corporation incarceration facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
We need to make prison a punishment facility, again drop these shetzheads off in Afghanistan, if they make it home, great they will tell others, if they don't who cares.. I would shut down all the prisons and drop these guys off, they can survive on their own.
We need more Devils Island Penal Colonies and less corporation incarceration facilities.

How about you personally demonstrate how effective it is, document your results, and if you survive, present your findings to everyone else. :D