Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lame that passengers cannot use theater or arcade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not, since all the blogs ran stories like "tesla allows drivers to play games while driving", which got the attention of most motor vehicle departments. There is zero difference between the driver and passenger as far as the front screen goes.

Just one such story:
====================

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.41.43 AM.png

So, not likely, no (and they shouldnt).

Reactions: GtiMart and Kimmi
As usual, some nagging nancys complained. This time, about Tesla allowing drivers to play arcade games while driving and due to public backlash they had to disable it for everyone. I mean, really? Who in their right mind would try to play any arcade game while driving?

Who in their right mind would try to play any arcade game while driving?

I have *several* co workers who think its ok to watch movies while driving, and either put a tablet type device in the front so they could do that, or "hacked" their car that has a screen to enable it to do that, and swear that "it helps me not get tired on long drives".

After pulling my jaw back off the ground after they were trying to somehow justify watching a movie while driving on a freeway as something that shold be done, and also seeing people do things like eat food WITH CHOPSTICKS while driving, putting on makeup / eye liner while driving, having a book / magazine or paperwork on the steering wheel, holding it with two hands while traveling at freeway speeds, or all sorts of @%%$@#@$%@$# type stuff that shouldnt be done, my answer to this question is....

"A lot of people would do this while driving, a whole lot, and they would also consider themselves "in their right mind" but I wouldnt".

Reactions: AlexHung
I hope not, since all the blogs ran stories like "tesla allows drivers to play games while driving", which got the attention of most motor vehicle departments. There is zero difference between the driver and passenger as far as the front screen goes.

Just one such story:
====================

View attachment 754963

So, not likely, no (and they shouldnt).
Did they disable using the internet browser while driving?

I have *several* co workers who think its ok to watch movies while driving, and either put a tablet type device in the front so they could do that, or "hacked" their car that has a screen to enable it to do that, and swear that "it helps me not get tired on long drives".

After pulling my jaw back off the ground after they were trying to somehow justify watching a movie while driving on a freeway as something that shold be done, and also seeing people do things like eat food WITH CHOPSTICKS while driving, putting on makeup / eye liner while driving, having a book / magazine or paperwork on the steering wheel, holding it with two hands while traveling at freeway speeds, or all sorts of @%%$@#@$%@$# type stuff that shouldnt be done, my answer to this question is....

"A lot of people would do this while driving, a whole lot, and they would also consider themselves "in their right mind" but I wouldnt".
A long time ago, the Washington Post used to have a local column by Bill Gold. Occasionally he would publish a list of things people has seen others do while driving around the Washington Beltway. My two favorites were:
  • Late at night/early morning someone was trying to pass the car in front of them. The car in front kept moving to stay in front. The trailing car finally juked his way around the other car and as he was passing him saw that the driver was trying to use headlights from other cars to read a book.
  • Someone playing the trumpet as they were driving on the Beltway

• Funny
Reactions: abasile
This makes no sense. They’ve removed the ability for passengers to even play the skywar game. Nothing else is functional. If the entire catalogs purpose is to be used during a 15 min charge, it’s useless. It’s takes 5+ minutes just to load an application sometimes.

Any idea if they plan to change this soon?
Listen to how you sound

Can any car on the road play games while driving? Especially on the main infotainment. Do you not see a possible recipe for disaster and a major bout of distracted driving?

Plus, it's my car and everyone has a cellphone, play on your personal device.

and also seeing people do things like eat food WITH CHOPSTICKS while driving, putting on makeup / eye liner while driving, having a book / magazine or paperwork on the steering wheel, holding it with two hands while traveling at freeway speeds, or all sorts of @%%$@#@$%@$# type stuff that shouldnt be done,
You forgot "facetime" while driving. I saw someone on the freeway, put iPhone on top of the steering wheel, and full on video facetiming.

The term "Personal responsibility" is meaning less and less in our society. It's as if we are not responsible for our own actions. Must be someone else fault or blame manufacture that allowed you to hurt yourself.

Good, I don't want my passenger playing games or watching movies on my instrument display and navigation. They have personal phones/tablets for that.
As far as I remember, you still had access to your instrument display and on the bottom left of the instrument screen would show you your navigation data.

The term "Personal responsibility" is meaning less and less in our society. It's as if we are not responsible for our own actions. Must be someone else fault or blame manufacture that allowed you to hurt yourself.

As far as I remember, you still had access to your instrument display and on the bottom left of the instrument screen would show you your navigation data.

Umm... when you are driving a car, you can not only hurt yourself, but everyone around you, so no, thats not "personal responsibility". I dont give a$%#$ if someone does something in their own house that might hurt themselves, thats on them. Driving a 3000 to 6000 pound machine, on the road with other people, inherently makes "their" lack of concern / consideration, "other peoples" problem.

• Love
Reactions: Nvbob
You cannot legislate out stupid, or can you?

Listen to how you sound

Can any car on the road play games while driving? Especially on the main infotainment. Do you not see a possible recipe for disaster and a major bout of distracted driving?

Plus, it's my car and everyone has a cellphone, play on your personal device.
By law, no. On aftermarket headunits you can do a technically illegal override to enable the lockout. That said, Tesla knew they were out of bounds so they were really playing chicken with the Feds.

Reactions: Nvbob
I could see it both ways.

Personally, I would like the option to play games from the passenger seat of my S while my wife is driving if we are on a long road trip.
And likewise, if I was driving on a long road trip, I wouldn't mind if she played games. I have my IC in front of me that has everything I need and I have zero need to look at the portrait screen.

I could see this being a bigger issue on the 3 and Y as there is no IC in front of them.

I could see it both ways.

Personally, I would like the option to play games from the passenger seat of my S while my wife is driving if we are on a long road trip.
And likewise, if I was driving on a long road trip, I wouldn't mind if she played games. I have my IC in front of me that has everything I need and I have zero need to look at the portrait screen.

I could see this being a bigger issue on the 3 and Y as there is no IC in front of them.
We used to play this game where the passenger would place yellow post-it notes randomly on all the buttons and controls over Dad's car while he was driving - so he couldn't see them. The post-it notes had letters and the rest of the car would try and make words from all the letters.

Well obviously we didn't do that. If the screen is for the driver's controls, that's all it should be for. Ridiculous that this even was attempted by Tesla. The passenger can touch the screen for adjusting their settings or other controls if the driver agrees. That's it.

Umm... when you are driving a car, you can not only hurt yourself, but everyone around you, so no, thats not "personal responsibility". I dont give a$%#$ if someone does something in their own house that might hurt themselves, thats on them. Driving a 3000 to 6000 pound machine, on the road with other people, inherently makes "their" lack of concern / consideration, "other peoples" problem.
I didn't say personal responsibility was to be thought of as killing someone with your car. Where do you want to stop? How about vehicles go no faster than 50mph because 80 is way to fast.

I didn't say personal responsibility was to be thought of as killing someone with your car. Where do you want to stop? How about vehicles go no faster than 50mph because 80 is way to fast.

By trying to say that the ability to watch a video on your front screen while driving is "personal responsibility", you actually are saying that. This type of thing should not be facilitated by the car manufacturer. If someone hacks their car and does it, that cant be stopped easily, but no manufacturer should enable this easily.

Reactions: Nvbob and AlexHung