Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000+ miles of continental autopilot use….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people are just unlucky I guess
Nah it’s called common occurances just saw it happen at least 10 times today. It’s called interstates, distracted truckers, normal phenomenon such as a trailer kicking out when they adjust in lane, and gasp winds.

But don’t worry it’s being unlucky and some super rare occurance

It’s surprising very good at turns compared to some other cars those felt frightening. But yeah having the only option of center with a left bias is deadly.

The cars are great probably best I’ve ever driven but some *sugar* is so drop the ball off it’s insane.

If he stuck to no frills electric type cars without all the non sensical hype would be great.

Yeah it’s ok he can pump his own bags make fun of the SEC make misleading statements. Have one of the most broken emergency braking system on earth.

Imagine advanced car can’t even have a proper emergency brake system which is like 20 year old tech.

Imagine how many divider head on collisions that could of avoided.

I agree - decent but not great. Mr. Musk is brilliant but an idiot - I can't imagine any other company this size that has a leader that regularly lies about a product (Level 4/5 by the end of this year) and doesn't get the boot or the company isn't sued by shareholders. There is room for improvement.

Nah it’s called common occurances just saw it happen at least 10 times today. It’s called interstates, distracted truckers, normal phenomenon such as a trailer kicking out when they adjust in lane, and gasp winds.

I have not had that happen in the 50 states, and I have been driving for a long time. One might see that happen if you love tailgating 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: TresLA
What happens when another car goes into your lane from the side? Nothing it hits you.

FACT with 0 fantasy
When vehicles drift into my lane, FSDb slows and jumps into an open lane. Sometimes it jumps into an open lane and then merges back in behind the dude who cut me off. Sometimes it just slows down, sometimes it brakes hard. Fact is, it's worked every-time and I trust it more than I trust myself

Reactions: Yelobird and enemji
When vehicles drift into my lane, FSDb slows and jumps into an open lane. Sometimes it jumps into an open lane and then merges back in behind the dude who cut me off. Sometimes it just slows down, sometimes it brakes hard. Fact is, it's worked every-time and I trust it more than I trust myself
Ahh gotcha I guess Musk uses peoples life as a carrot to upgrade from regular auto pilot to full self driving.

Regular you die, upgrade might switch lanes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
Is that you being cut off from the front or someone just goes into your lane from your side? Meaning parallel to you

That sounds like regular auto steer someone cuts you off in front it slows down

Last edited:
I have "learned" to use the old AP and NOA to help with my long drives to and from LA/SF.

1) always double tap brake to disengage.
2) always disengage when feeling unsafe. Like passing big trucks, congested high speed traffic, etc
3) try to stay away of merge lanes on interchanges.
4) always do your own freeway interchanges and exits. Try to get to the exit lanes early and wait in line.a
5) disable auto lane change.
6) watch for clear lanes to initiate lane change manually by signalling.
7) never use AP on two lanes (one each direction) highways with sharp turns.
8) never follow too closely as you may not know whether the car in front will stop suddenly if it encountered hazards which you cannot see. Especially on left lane left curve and right lane right curve.
9) disengage on bad roads with potholes.

I have yet to test 11.4.4 on long trips.

Reactions: enemji
I have "learned" to use the old AP and NOA to help with my long drives to and from LA/SF.

2) always disengage when feeling unsafe. Like passing big trucks, congested high speed traffic, etc
4) always do your own freeway interchanges and exits. Try to get to the exit lanes early and wait in line.a
8) never follow too closely as you may not know whether the car in front will stop suddenly if it encountered hazards which you cannot see. Especially on left lane left curve and right lane right curve.

Interesting. I'm using FSDb and have a completely different comfort level and trust in the vehicle:
  1. Use right stalk to disengage so as to not light up the brake lights unnecessarily
  2. I agree with disengaging when feeling unsafe. But I rarely disengage unless I'm in a construction area or there are impatient NJ drivers that get upset when the vehicle makes a full 2 second stop before checking for traffic. Big trucks, heavy traffic, etc don't bother me (anymore)
  3. It's pretty amazing how the vehicle handles merges
  4. I allow the vehicle to take the exits on it's own, but it does miss exits in heavy traffic with a line. Then it re-routes
  5. Auto lane change is my favorite feature!
  6. See above
  7. This is pretty exhilarating to me. It's like the car is on rails between the lines and sometimes no lines. After >12k on FSDb, I feel it's unlikely that the car will drive into traffic. It might get hit, but it won't hit anything
  8. The vehicle decides the follow distance and it's fine. Kind of wish they went back to where you could set the follow distance to close gaps at times
  9. Def this! And watch out for speed bumps. Sometimes it slows, many times not
v11.4.4

Reactions: enemji
(Heavy moderator edits)

Just straight up dangerous… only time I feel safe enough to use it is in low traffic highways, bumper to bumper traffic (if you can handle rubber band).

As soon as I see moderate traffic, trucks approaching, or someone staying close to me behind I disengage cruise control.

Seriously how absurd is it that something as basic as cruise control is dangerous….. car companies can’t get basic adaptive cruise to work yet these idiots are touting full autonomous driving lmao.

Let me elaborate in details.

1. It’s reasoning abilities are literally 0…. It’s like they hired monkeys as programmers.

2. Phantom HARD breaking instant accident, even if a car is keeping distance going from 75 to 45 slamming on the brakes is a disaster.

3. Engagement Disengagement is utterly counterintuitive.

If I grab the steering wheel it should automatically disengage….

Not fight the steering wheel and jerk the car in a turn doing 65 with 2 trucks around you….

The car is actually highly intelligent when it comes to lane placement, unlike many drivers. The correct location to be in the lane, any lane, is the center. If you are passing or are passed by a large truck, the car (if there is nothing in the adjacent lane, WILL move over

Phantom braking does occur in the Tesla as well as other cars. It is more shocking than anything else and if someone is following closely enough that an accident occurs, then they are following too closely, illegaly.

All it takes is a slight pressure to turn off FSD using the steering wheel. Or a very light brake tap. Or just click up on the right stalk.

And why are you trying to disable FSD when there are trucks on each side of you? Honestly, in this situation, I'd trust the car much more than you, the car will react MUCH quicker.

And FYI, if a truck swerves into your lane, the car will slow and swerve as needed.

It seems as you have gotten used to behaviors that were needed during older versions. What's running today handles most of these situations extremely well.

1) Not sure why you double tap, a single tap is all that's needed
2) This is actually some of the places where the car does an awesome job. Passing trucks, the car will move over a little if the next lane is clear. If a truck swerves into your lane, the car will swerve (if the adjacent lane is clear) and/or slow down as appropriate.
3) Most of the merge has been fixed
4) Car does a great job
5) There is one thing that I trust the car to do even better than I can, that's lane change. It seems to have this down to just about perfection!
6) Same as 5, turn the signal on and just sit back and wait for lane to clear and car move over.
7) Someone recently posted a YouTube with FSD on some small mountain roads, often without lines, and the car successfully navigating them. It does a MUCH better job than 3 years ago.
8) I'd have to say that the car is going to beat you every time. The car is CONTINUOUSLY monitoring the distance between you and the car in front and it'll hit the brake many, many milliseconds before you do. I wish it would give more gap though.
9) I just dodge when I need to. Once you learn how to overcome FSD with the steering wheel, it's not that hard to smoothly disengage without jolting the entire car.

Reactions: JB47394
Guys. Thanks for all the inputs. As I have said the procedures are for the old AP and NOA and not the current Beta 11.4.4 which I have only tested briefly.

I just don't want to deal with the problematic behavior of Old AP and NOA near merge in and exits. i.e. sometimes loud warnings etc.

There is an interchange on I-5 north to 152 west which NOA have never successfully negotiated. There is a merge in immediately ahead of the 270 degrees exit to 152. I have yet to see Omar's clips of frequent drive from LA to SF went successfully on this route interchange.

The preference of semi auto /manual lane change by using the Left signal was due to that the old NOA will come very close to trucks on right lane, slow down and try to merge to left and overtake. Usually, there will be long lines of left lane traffic and if NOA find a gap and cut in to the gap, it will not speed up to match the speed of the passing traffic!! So, I just watch slow truck traffic ahead further and change lane to pass before the left lane traffic catches up.

Double tap on brake to disengage flashes the brake light twice to warn cars behind to pay attention.

Follow at a fair distance increases safety due to unexpected slow down ahead of you similar to you Phantom Braking ahead of tailgating cars behind you.

Any way I will test out the newer beta on the problem areas next time I got to SF.