Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laminated Glass Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I finally installed my laminated glass today!

Since someone broke one side, I decided to change out both sides with the laminated glass on my 2020 model 3.

A few things I learned.
1. Most importantly: it's a direct fit. Two bolts on the bottom, same as the old one. The new ones have the bracket attached to the glass rather than a separate bracket on the older ones (on the old ones they use painters blue tape to keep the bracket in place before installing so it doesn't fall out...crazy!). The glass sits flush when the window is closed. Looks just like the new ones.
2. You don't have to remove the second inner plastic panel to change out the glass. If your glass isn't broken, you just remove the the interior panel (3 bolts and some clips). Then you move the window up to a point where you can access the 2 bolts thru 2 holes which you will see after you remove the interior panel (covered by black rubber tabs). While the old glass is still on, use a sharpie to mark where the old glass sits near the tab. When you put the new one in, you want to line it back with those sharpie marks for alignment purposes.
3. Took the glass guy 10 minutes to do the non broken side. Seemed pretty easy to do. On the broken window side, it took longer since he had to remove the 2nd panel to vaccum out the broken glass pieces.
4. Now that I've seen it done, it seems to be a fairly straightforward job. If it takes you longer than 30 minutes to do, then you are doing something wrong.
5. Does it make a difference? If you go below 40 mph, and there isn't much road noise or wind noise, it does seem a bit more insulated. If a car drives by, etc. However at 60 or 70 mph, there is just so much noise coming from everywhere, it doesn't seem to make a difference at all.
6. Another thing to keep in mind....Tesla doesn't have a lot of these. It took me 3 weeks to get mine and the guy claimed they had to pull it from the production line. Not sure if that was really the case...but just know it takes a long time to get.

Hope this settles the glass retrofit question!

I ordered it through my glass shop who directly went to the parts department. Via the app, they just give you the standard glass...so you actually have to talk to the parts guy.

After having it for a day, at low speeds or stopped, the glass does seem to isolate the cabin a bit from external noise. For example if a car drives by or people talking outside. Those noises does seem more muffled. Maybe its just in my head! I don't know...there must be a reason all the higher end car companies use laminate glass.

However, on the freeway, I can tell you, for sure: there is no difference. There is just so much noise coming from everywhere else.

I have noticed that driving our 2018 M3 in winter the drivers window frost's over below 10F, even with normal cabin heat on. I recently watched a video from Bjorn and he pointed out that his 2018 always frosted up as well, but the 2021 he was testing out didn't frost over and it was -20C out, he also said it didn't feel as "cold" from the wind as his car. So it has to help with heat loss as well and heck even being able to see out it would be worth it...

If you can get a hold of the part, it takes less than 30 minutes to do. If you are handy, probably 15 minutes. Attached picture with the red arrows is where you access the bolts that hold the glass. Just remember to mark where the old glass sits thru those holes so you can line the new glass up to them and not have to worry about adjusting it.

Attachments

• 20210128_151523.jpg
    20210128_151523.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin and KenC
I have noticed that driving our 2018 M3 in winter the drivers window frost's over below 10F, even with normal cabin heat on. I recently watched a video from Bjorn and he pointed out that his 2018 always frosted up as well, but the 2021 he was testing out didn't frost over and it was -20C out, he also said it didn't feel as "cold" from the wind as his car. So it has to help with heat loss as well and heck even being able to see out it would be worth it...

I highly doubt it's the glass. More likely the HVAC upgrades.

Reactions: cdswm3
I just made the swap and wanted to share my experience.

I got two used windows from a -21 model that I found online (I have a 2020)

Installing

Removing the inner panel is easy, I followed this video. Remember to disconnect/connect the light at the bottom to lower the window before testing fitment later.

To ensure the new window would go into the same position as the old one, I did mark/photographed the bolt placement on the bracket. It turns out the laminated window bolt-placement is different and I ended up redoing the realigning anyway.

The video above explains the realignment procedure as well.

The test drive

Tire / external noise

There is noticeably reduced noise coming from vehicles passing by. Also when driving near a concrete road divider or inside a tunnel, the noise is more damped. This could be seen as tire noise that is reflected back to the driver, my conclusion is that the window dampens noise coming from outside in various degrees.

Wind noise
Before making the switch, I remembered to put my ear near the window and remember how the wind noise sounded and felt just by the window.
After the switch, the wind noise is reduced and barely there now (when leaning towards the window). Remember that this applies at higher speeds >50 mph.
My conclusion is that it helps reduce the overall noise level on the driver/passenger side.

Inside the car
The car feels less noisy, especially at higher speeds where the wind gets louder and the laminated windows dampens the noise better.
It feels like it's easier to have a conversation with the passengers on the back as well.

It is not a night and day difference, but it adds up to making the car quieter, especially combined with less noisy tires. (Michelin pilot sport 4 is noisy)

Is it worth it?
I paid 280$ for the used windows with shipping, I did the swap myself and the difference is noticeable in some conditions.
It took me 2-3hrs though, I lost a socket for the window blots inside the door and had to disassemble the door even more!

I would recommend this if you come by a pair of windows at a good price, or need to replace them.

There is some debate online whether laminated windows do lower the noise or not, my experience is they do, but on certain conditions and different degrees, Is not an overall "noise level" reducer.

Model Y has them even on the back doors and I believe it would help even more for the 3, unfortunately, they are not available.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and Zoomit