Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAPD gets Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's cool, would be a lot cheaper to wait until the model 3 is released and test those out.
The model S is too expensive to be a patrol vehicle
It's also very fragile, the aluminum body is not going to appreciate all the bumps and bruises a patrol vehicle receives.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Yes. Actually Tesla has "loaned" out 2 Tesla's to LAPD. Supposedly going to be a Sergeants vehicle and will patrol everyday.
Man it would be fun though to get into a pursuit and put it on ludicrous mode.
Fly by the bad guy and give him the finger ala Tom Cruise in Top Gun :)

• Funny
Reactions: Weezer Fan
It was published today. it says , "After evaluating it in a community outreach role, the department is outfitting a high performance Model S P85 D with everything needed to turn it into a pursuit vehicle, NBC 4 reports....The LAPD says it will be working with Tesla to add all of the required electronics, a custody cage and even a shotgun rack needed to send it out on patrol, where it will be used to respond to emergencies and possibly join in high speed pursuits, according to a department spokesman."

The NBC link is a video if you want to check it out.

Reactions: David99
Doubt it. They said they were outfitting the car for use in the field. If you haven't watch the news5 video, I recommend you take a look. Just think if police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, etc could all go electric in the future. With solar on the rooftops. Would save the tax payers some dough, (provided the vehicle cost continues to decrease).

Doubt it. They said they were outfitting the car for use in the field. If you haven't watch the news5 video, I recommend you take a look. Just think if police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, etc could all go electric in the future. With solar on the rooftops. Would save the tax payers some dough, (provided the vehicle cost continues to decrease).

I think fire trucks are great candidates for EV conversion, as I don't think they put on a great many miles on a daily basis. I could be wrong about that, though...

I think fire trucks are great candidates for EV conversion, as I don't think they put on a great many miles on a daily basis. I could be wrong about that, though...
Fire trucks have to be able to pump water for hours at a time. Bigger departments have multiple types of trucks and they could switch over some truck types but the ones expected to provide power for long sessions would need the ICE option for some time to come I'd say.

• Informative
Reactions: Pdub2015