TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LAPD to order 100 BMW i3's

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by voyager, Jun 13, 2016.

1. voyager

voyager Member

BMW of North America said Wednesday that it will supply the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) with 100 BMW i3 electric vehicles. Still, anyone hoping to see those oddly shaped vehicles in hot pursuit along Southern California's streets will have to wait. That's because the cars will be used to transport officers from one place to another, and for community outreach. They won't be used for chasing the bad guys.

LAPD will get 100 BMW i3 electric cars

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  2. gregd

gregd Member

Is it just me, or does that picture make the car look like it's already been in a front-end collision?

1/2 :)

• Funny x 1
  3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

IMHO LA because of it's spread out land mass is probably one of the worst places for this experiment. this should be done in a more densely packed urban area. SF would have been a much better city to try this in.

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

The criminal element will be greatly disappointed not to see this car in hot pursuit

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

Well... pursuit.

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

In some other thread (can't remember, and now can't find it) there is a picture of a Model S in LAPD paint at the Hawthorne supercharger.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

That's awesome. Tesla fanboys can make funny comments all they want, the i3 is a great EV and the LAPD ordering 100 of them is a great step in the right direction.

8. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I am a little confused.
    The article stated that
    "BMW of North America today announced that it has won its bid to supply the Los Angeles Police Department with 100 fully-electric BMW i3 vehicles..."

But I notice that the car in the photo has both a plug above the rear wheels for electric input,
    AND
    a small door near the front wheels for gasoline tank.

Looks like these must be i3 with Range Extender.

Thus, they are probably NOT fully electric.
    Maybe they did that because of brown-outs for fully electric vehicles.

Greener than most cars, yes.
    Full EV, sadly no.

9. voyager

voyager Member

Besides the fact that the i3 has hybrid drive, this car could have been the Tesla hatchback city car that Musk may have been planning in two or three years... No offense or pun intended.