Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAPD to order 100 BMW i3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW of North America said Wednesday that it will supply the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) with 100 BMW i3 electric vehicles. Still, anyone hoping to see those oddly shaped vehicles in hot pursuit along Southern California's streets will have to wait. That's because the cars will be used to transport officers from one place to another, and for community outreach. They won't be used for chasing the bad guys.

LAPD will get 100 BMW i3 electric cars

bimmer.jpg

Reactions: ModelX
BMW of North America said Wednesday that it will supply the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) with 100 BMW i3 electric vehicles. Still, anyone hoping to see those oddly shaped vehicles in hot pursuit along Southern California's streets will have to wait. That's because the cars will be used to transport officers from one place to another, and for community outreach. They won't be used for chasing the bad guys.

LAPD will get 100 BMW i3 electric cars

bimmer.jpg
The criminal element will be greatly disappointed not to see this car in hot pursuit

I am a little confused.
The article stated that
"BMW of North America today announced that it has won its bid to supply the Los Angeles Police Department with 100 fully-electric BMW i3 vehicles..."

But I notice that the car in the photo has both a plug above the rear wheels for electric input,
AND
a small door near the front wheels for gasoline tank.

Looks like these must be i3 with Range Extender.

Thus, they are probably NOT fully electric.
Maybe they did that because of brown-outs for fully electric vehicles.

Greener than most cars, yes.
Full EV, sadly no.