Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Slacker playlists = freezing and crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
Hey all, I wanted to share some experience I had after connecting my Slacker account to my Model 3 - I have one massive playlist with 835 songs on it (and four other playlists with a couple hundred each). I first noticed there were issues with loading it entirely, as it would only cycle through the same dozen or so songs while on shuffle.

Since connecting it yesterday, even when not streaming, my car’s computer started having major freezing and crashing issues. It was as if it were running out of RAM. At start up, it would freeze up and reset every time, and it would get stuck on a black screen and take forever to load back up.

Today while I was using the navigation, it went crazy - it would lag and stutter until the screen and all the dashboard icons would flash on and off before crashing, and repeating over and over again. Completely unusable.

After logging out of my Slacker account, it crashed one last time, and then has since been completely normal since. I am pretty confident it was due to my large playlist.

So if anyone else’s system is being unstable and you have a Slacker account connected, try disconnecting it for a while and see how it goes. Maybe a car with HW 3 would handle the load better. Let me know if anyone has experienced anything similar before.

AFAIK HW3 only is an upgrade of the AP computer, not the media computer
That would be good news. Because I’m hoping that as more intensive features are introduced on the latest cars, the older ones can still handle it. Sort of how older iPhones can slow down as new updates start to tax their resources (although I think part of that was due to Apple’s battery management, but that’s another story lol).

That would be good news. Because I’m hoping that as more intensive features are introduced on the latest cars, the older ones can still handle it. Sort of how older iPhones can slow down as new updates start to tax their resources (although I think part of that was due to Apple’s battery management, but that’s another story lol).

What new features though? Tesla is pretty awful about improving media features. It took what like 6 years of asking just to get USB shuffle?

Basically the only thing MCU2 gets you over a 2012 MCU1 car is more easter eggs (Teslatari) and Dashcam/Sentry