Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest concern about buying a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understood perfectly well that you weren't making an honest statement, that you hadn't actually tried to build the order. I also understand you're either still not being honest, or in your head you're truly that irrational, about actually addressing your assertion implied in.

That you're at heart a concern troll, it is really literally the only reason for you to be here. Maybe it always was?

AKA welcome to the reality the living memory of automobiles. Except that Tesla is actually selling the "stripper" variant, as opposed to most companies where you normally can't find it at all unless you're a fleet operator buying in bulk.

When they stopped selling the LR RWD outside of "special order" last year....and then started selling it via online configuration again a couple months later.

The "niche" that is roughly a $4000 higher price point? (Is that where it is at now?) LOL

Bottom line is Tesla can, and is, selling the $35,000. Your statements otherwise is demonstrable flat out incorrect on the face of it, notwithstanding is your dishonest doubling down attempts to defend those statements rather than showing some character and acknowledging they are false.

Tesla is, and likely will be for some years to come, cell production constrained. Why? Because demand is so high, so:
1) mass sales isn't limited by this variant's easy of ordering, isn't hurt by them negative selling it somewhat, to an extent that is lower than normal for the automobile industry.
2) it is in Tesla's best interest, and ultimately in the best interest of owners of Tesla vehicles, to skew higher the revenue and margin per unit of that limited resource

What you're getting at here is just boils down to a convoluted version of the tired "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded", with the twist of trying to recycle the "they'll never build the $35K vehicle" after any semblance of legitimacy in that bear talking point has died, been buried, dug up, cremated, and buried again.

Nothing but concern trolling.

Nothing.
Ah. Remember, it is always possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable.
Both I and my portfolio hope your demand expectations come true.
Robin

I'm also a lurker and a soon to be purchaser, but my concern isn't with the company. I have a situation where my finances aren't where I'd like them to be to justify the purchase. I can easily afford a Model 3, but I'd like to feel comfortable knowing my financial house is in order.

Having said that, company health is a valid concern. Irregardless of whether or not it's that aspect, or new competition coming into the market, or another reason not to make a purchase... that will always be there.

Buy the car you feel 100% confident in.

My head says maybe but my heart, which has wanted an electric car since I was a child building solar powered golf carts with my dad, says no. So trying to convince my rational head.

Get a base model 3 SR vs LR or AWD/performance.

Use the savings to buy a ~5 YO Prius.

Park the Prius.

When and if Tesla takes a dump, or you get in an accident and have to wait months for body parts, switch cars.

When Tesla is fixed, switch cars again.

Rinse, repeat as required.

Problem solved!

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?
I share everything you said and just last week we picked up our Model 3 from Cleveland. Very cool car, but I have moments that I fell that we 'rolled the dice' on this. Can't shake it.

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

Check this video Largest concern about buying a model 3

I bought the car back in september. before their q4 blowout performance. after 10 years or mostly losses. i was taking a bigger leap of faith than you are. my point is this: now that i have the car. I'm no longer concerned about it. i could drive this car, as is, with no more updates, for the rest of its 300k-500k rated battery life. and be perfectly happy. as it is now, its simply the best piece of engineering on the road.

if you have to play worst case scenario. lets say they go out of business. this threatens long trips. except that I believe if it were to happen, they would sell the SC network to another company for their EVs. or to a private group that would use them to make money.

make the leap.

Tesla makes really amazing cars. Model 3 is really well designed and it probably took an amazing feat of engineering to make this car a reality. Everyone who drives this car (including me) loves it. Look at this this way- If car companies like GM and Ford, ones that make the worst and most unreliable cars on this planet are still around, companies like Tesla have a really bright future.

Buy this car and start driving and you will understand what we all mean

I'd hate to see Tesla collapse, but it could happen... but what if then some smart guy come along and figures out how to build a new battery pack, and another guy can rebuild motors, and they figure out how to replace the display with an iPad Pro? The thing is, what about now. I love driving my Tesla; it is probably the best car I have even owned. This is just life... I'll certainly die of something someday ... But, only God knows when. Worry about things you can do something about. Carpe Diem!

I agree with people here— Tesla will not cease to exist as an entity. They may be taken over by gvt or bought by GM/Apple/ google.

However— as an owner of a m3p EXTREMELY HIGHLY DISRECOMMEND PURCHASING.

1. Service is awful. Can’t get in , don’t have parts, lots of flaws. Updated introduce glitches. Autopilot in m3 is not smooth, rough start stop. And again, AWFUL service

2. Depreciation. If you work hard for your money, appreciate this. I purchased my car at $81k. Today (4 months later) they sell the same car for $65 or so. Granted i got a 3700$ tax incentive greater than current. I’ve contact Tesla endless, they assaulted my car value and take no responsilbity .

3. Do you really want to deal with a company that is so notorious?!

4. People judge Tesla owners hard. Your colleagues and others will think you’re a douchebag. I didn’t care at first, but now that I especially hate Tesla, i do care.

Advise you don’t buy this garbage.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and b team
There are three variables, each must be considered separately. 1. Elon Musk. 2. Tesla the company. 3. The product.
1. Elon is brillant, extremely inovative. Great for starting a company, not so good as CEO of a large company. The best thing would be to bring in a really good operations CEO to run things, with Elon continuing to provide inovative ideas.
2. Tesla as a company needs one thing: more cash. Several billion. They are competiting agains players with huge resources. Tesla should not be trying to bootstrap with existing cash. They should raise more money now by selling equity, no more debt. Or convertable bonds. Or they should merge with a high tech company that has tons of cash. Do not merge with a legacy automobile company. Death. The statement that Elon made about not wanting too much cash because they might not spend it wisely shows that he should not be CEO. A good CEO knows that you can NEVER have too much cash, and a good CEO will ALWAYS spend it wisely. Step aside, Elon. I really like you , but you need someone else to run the company.
3. The product is outsdanding. It is too good to fail. I have owned an S for 18 months, just ordered a 3. Even when these other guys come out with their EV's they will be boring compared to Tesla. And don't forget the supercharging network. A huge asset, developed mostly before Tesla had the pressure to be a profitable company. So, even if Tesla as a company screws up, doesn't raise more cash, does something foolish -- my point is the product is too good to fail. Something will happen -- most likely they will be acquired.
So, if you can't stomach your concerns, by a boring ice car. But if you want to own and drive an amazing car/computer, and have almost more fun than ever in your life, then buy the 3 and have confidence that the Tesla products will survive and continue to improve in ways that are too creative for the legacy car companies to even fathom.

I've certainly been known to express frustration and concern with Tesla but I think a collapse is highly unlikely. I think it's safe to say Tesla has reached critical mass status. It would take enormous catastrophe to rid the world of them forever. And Musk won't ever let the happen. I took he'd sooner risk his entire fortune than allow the company to fail.

But let's say it did. Like others have mentioned you'd have an amazing car to show for it. The Model 3 is an instant classic and would easily raise in value if such an event occurred. There is so much love for the brand and car that I don't think finding third party support would be difficult for too long.

Reactions: neroden
To the original poster Pkeet99, your thoughts are warranted, otherwise there wouldn't be 5 pages of a thread already. I shared your concerns. Bought the Model 3 in August. Your car will still have value, regardless of what happens to Tesla. Even if Tesla went under, there will be people and companies that come in that will have the ability to service your car. I'm not a car guy. Normally couldn't care less what I drive. But once I took a spin in my friend's Model S, I couldn't believe how far ahead they are vs. every other car manufacturer. Yes, I paid more than I wanted to for the Model 3. But I haven't been to a gas station since August! Nor a Jiffy Lube! I've had 25 software updates that have increased the range of my car, bettered the handling, added security measures, etc. You will love your Model 3 and I assure you, you will never by an ICE vehicle again.

Based on longevity concerns, I would seriously consider leasing... if company looks good in 3 years, you can buy your car for the residual...

Leasing also protects you from radical technology or pricing changes.

We have an X, and it has been a pretty good experience (into it 16 months and 20,000 miles).

We leased, and probably will not buy the car due to the technology/pricing changes that have been going on. However, I would definitely consider getting another Tesla at the end of lease.

• Funny
Based on longevity concerns, I would seriously consider leasing... if company looks good in 3 years, you can buy your car for the residual...

Leasing also protects you from radical technology or pricing changes.

We have an X, and it has been a pretty good experience (into it 16 months and 20,000 miles).

We leased, and probably will not buy the car due to the technology/pricing changes that have been going on. However, I would definitely consider getting another Tesla at the end of lease.
I don't think you can buy out the 3 lease. At least that was what they were saying

You might be more interested in buying a horse .

You can be "safe" and buy another dull ICE car but I think you'll regret that. Tesla is in major growth mode so naturally it will be messy for a while but realize there's a lot a stake for the disrupted manufacturers around the world along with the oil companies who stand to loose a lot so beware of a lot of "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) in the press nearly every day by those who gain from stocks going down. I have a tiny amount of stock so it doesn't hurt me but in the near future there's going to be a buying opportunity. I also own a Model 3 . Tesla is also diversified and I'm about to install the PowerWall2. I am a retired engineer and former military aviator.

OK here are my thoughts. I received my Tesla in October of 2018. It has been among the very best cars I have ever owned. A joy to drive every day. In my view if Tesla stumbles they will be acquired very quickly. Their technology and largest network of chargers in the USA are way too valuable for another car company.
That's what I tell myself!