Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest concern about buying a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be more worried about servicing the car in Michigan than Tesla going under. The cars are not rock solid reliability-wise, so you will most likely need a few trips to a service center during your ownership. That could be a hassle depending on how much you can get done via mobile service and how many times you have to actually take the car in.
That is definitely concern #2 but based on reading the various forums the car should generally still work even if it needs service (so I can make it to Chicago if mobile can’t take care of it). Part of me wants to get one to poke Michigan legislature in the eye over not allowing Tesla to sell here.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
That is definitely concern #2 but based on reading the various forums the car should generally still work even if it needs service (so I can make it to Chicago if mobile can’t take care of it). Part of me wants to get one to poke Michigan legislature in the eye over not allowing Tesla to sell here.

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure you were aware. My Mom lives in Grand Haven, and I am always stoked to see Teslas in town when we visit. Stopped in the same shopping center as the Muskegon superchargers one day, made me miss my car, LOL.

That's not a concern. Tesla is suppose to bankrupt every year. Welcome to the disruptor car maker. Be glad to be apart of it. You certainly don't want to be against it nor own another car that isn't a Tesla in 2019.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
The German government is not going to let VW go down the drain. But Bugatti could. The Japanese government can't let Toyota fail. But Daihatsu could go away.
Tesla is a lot more vulnerable. And I would not expect any Washington bailout from this administration, and only self-serving, gleeful tweets.
Robin
Yes I imagine this administration would dance a jig if anything bad happened to any company based in California. They would probably be happy to see the entire state fall into the sea.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

Check out this well written article about Tesla and why they will be successful:
http://www.hamidshojaee.com/post/184522555004/teslas-autonomy-day-the-stock-short-sellers-and

Unfortunately leasing is not an option with my commute, I live in West Michigan so a 20 mile commute only takes 20 minutes but that translates to 15k+ miles a year. Good idea though, and I appreciate your comments on fears.

15K is well within lease range.
Typical lease contract terms are for either 24 or 36 months, at 10-12-15K miles per year.
There is also a (sometimes cheap, sometime expensive) pro-rated per mile extra charge above those limits.

Tesla is not a "typical" car company, and I haven't researched its lease terms, but I can guarantee you that BMW, Nissan and Toyota will all have at least 6 lease permutations on offer.

a

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

No.

You should buy a different car, end of discussion.

For all of Tesla's many, many achievements, there is a non-zero chance that they will go belly up. You can argue how big that risk is, but it's not zero. For myself, I think the risk is real and the needle has risen of late. Not because they've failed at designing a superb EV. And not because they've failed at building that superb EV. But because they have not shown an ability to service their (rapidly growing) fleet, nor can they build the promised base model their challenging growth strategy depends upon. Design your entire company around producing a car in large numbers, and you are obliged to find a way to continue selling them in large numbers and servicing them in large numbers (because despite the "EV's require less service" that has not been true for Teslas).

Mediocre service does not mean drop in sales and demand.
It may imply slower sales growth, but how much can be attributed to demand transfer to 4Q'18 before Federal incentives got halved vs. service issues, is unclear.
I guess we will find out with 2Q'19 sales #s.

In the mean time, Musk is making an awefull lot of rookie manufacturing and supply-chain mistakes, and is showing few signs of learning from them.

Product is fantastic, but the company badly needs a hard-nosed manufacturing COO who would banish Elon from micro-managing on the production floor, and free him to focus on product roadmap and strategy, which is what CEO is supposed to do.

The German government is not going to let VW go down the drain. But Bugatti could.

VW owns Bugatti :cool:

German government & labor unions are the largest shareholders of VW, so your larger point is valid.

combined with manufacturing and service issues, and the fact that I don't really need to replace a car right now, I am holding back (even though I have a NEMA 14-50 waiting in the garage for something to use it).

IMHO, Tesla can shut down all car sales in the US, shut down the Freemont factory, and still appreciate in value.

As long as they complete and turn up the Chinese gigafactory 3 later this year, Tesla market value will appreciate.
China is 50+% of the EV market in the world, and Chairman Xi is personally a Musk fan (and Chinese government is financing Tesla's Shanghai factory!), so that's about all that needs to be said about Tesla's prospects in China.

a

As someone else mentioned, BK isn’t the end. Here’s the BK history of N. America manufactures

https://www.quora.com/What-car-companies-have-never-gone-bankrupt-Is-it-really-only-Ford-and-Tesla
Actually, Obama stole GM and Chrysler from the secured creditors and did a sweetheart deal to give the companies to the unions.

A REGULAR bankruptcy would have been great.
Yes I imagine this administration would dance a jig if anything bad happened to any company based in California. They would probably be happy to see the entire state fall into the sea.
Most of us would be happy to see this liberal hellhole fall into the sea. MAGA.

I think you might have misunderstood, so allow me to ignore your manners and take your message more seriously.
I’m definitely not upset that I couldn’t order an SR M3 by phone. Or by visiting the local store. Or by smoke signal. If and when Tesla does offer them again through their regular configuration page (meaning they’ve decided it’s OK to sell them) I will not be ordering one. The rear wheel drive LR meets my needs better (and is, for the moment, also among the missing). If they solve their spotty QC and service issues, that’s the one I will order when the time comes.
What does concern me is this: Tesla sent the base model off to the place where unwanted model variants are supposed to die. They have done this before. They did it for a reason then, and they’ve done it for a reason now. As I said, it might even be a good reason, in the short term anyway. If you need the margins, you up sell to more expensive cars.
But in the longer term, cutting off the base of your demand and focusing on those higher-margin vehicles means staying a niche manufacturer for a while longer. It is not consistent with a corporate build out designed to sell base model cars in base model numbers. And to circle back to the OP who was concerned about buying an expensive orphan, that is a probably a legitimate worry, but certainly not to everyone. Plenty of optioned up M3’s are being sold, and I hope the next sales report shows a strong recovery from Q1 winter doldrums.
Hope that helps,
Robin

That's OK. I'm not selling any. But these guys are.
Robin
To hell with those chumps...
220px-Road_Apples.jpg

Reactions: N5329K
I think you might have misunderstood, so allow me to ignore your manners and take your message more seriously.
I’m definitely not upset that I couldn’t order an SR M3 by phone. Or by visiting the local store. Or by smoke signal. If and when Tesla does offer them again through their regular configuration page (meaning they’ve decided it’s OK to sell them) I will not be ordering one. The rear wheel drive LR meets my needs better (and is, for the moment, also among the missing). If they solve their spotty QC and service issues, that’s the one I will order when the time comes.
I understood perfectly well that you weren't making an honest statement, that you hadn't actually tried to build the order. I also understand you're either still not being honest, or in your head you're truly that irrational, about actually addressing your assertion implied in.

That you're at heart a concern troll, it is really literally the only reason for you to be here. Maybe it always was?

What does concern me is this: Tesla sent the base model off to the place where unwanted model variants are supposed to die.
AKA welcome to the reality the living memory of automobiles. Except that Tesla is actually selling the "stripper" variant, as opposed to most companies where you normally can't find it at all unless you're a fleet operator buying in bulk.
They have done this before.
When they stopped selling the LR RWD outside of "special order" last year....and then started selling it via online configuration again a couple months later.
But in the longer term, cutting off the base of your demand and focusing on those higher-margin vehicles means staying a niche manufacturer for a while longer.
The "niche" that is roughly a $4000 higher price point? (Is that where it is at now?) LOL

Bottom line is Tesla can, and is, selling the $35,000. Your statements otherwise is demonstrable flat out incorrect on the face of it, notwithstanding is your dishonest doubling down attempts to defend those statements rather than showing some character and acknowledging they are false.

Tesla is, and likely will be for some years to come, cell production constrained. Why? Because demand is so high, so:
1) mass sales isn't limited by this variant's easy of ordering, isn't hurt by them negative selling it somewhat, to an extent that is lower than normal for the automobile industry.
2) it is in Tesla's best interest, and ultimately in the best interest of owners of Tesla vehicles, to skew higher the revenue and margin per unit of that limited resource

What you're getting at here is just boils down to a convoluted version of the tired "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded", with the twist of trying to recycle the "they'll never build the $35K vehicle" after any semblance of legitimacy in that bear talking point has died, been buried, dug up, cremated, and buried again.

Nothing but concern trolling.

Nothing.