Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering buying a 2019/2020 X - concerned about “X issues” thoughts please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering purchasing a 2019/2020 model X, but I’ve read so many threads about “issues” with the car such as : the front half shafts, seals leaking, rattles and squeaks, and it becoming a money pit after warranty is up. I’m concerned about these issues and trying to think very hard about if it’s a good decision or not to buy one.

Please post your thoughts about the longevity of your car and if you believe these are serious issues that plaque the X. The car fits what we need it for, but I don’t want to get into one to find out It’s a bucket of countless mechanical issues. Please let me know how yours has held up over the years and what problems you’ve experienced, or not. Thanks for all your thoughts!

My 2016 P90D has been relatively problem free with one exception: Suspension

I purchased it 2yr ago w/ 89k on it, and I'm currently at 126k. In my 2yrs, most of my expense has been suspension work: front upper and both lower sets of control arms, rear camber and toe arms, a wheel bearing, and front brakes. I'll need to do rear brakes and the other front wheel bearing in the near future.

Other than that, it's drive and enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I bought my MXP new in 12/20 and have 42k miles.
I have had the following warranty work: front shafts (twice), coolant pump and coolant leak (separately).
I think mxlr probably get a lot more life out of the half shafts than mxp always in ludicrous.
The warranty issues I consider normal and acceptable, and would not deter me from recommending.
What is worth mentioning about my MX is the poor assembly quality. The components themselves seem excellent but they were carelessly put together. To me that means MX needs to be judged individually, to see if these great parts were put together properly or not. Could apply to any model year afaik.
Best of luck with yours!

We bought a used 2019 Raven Standard Range with about 20k miles on it a little over a year ago. We had an advantage in that we bought it off our daughter’s expiring lease (she bought a refresh X). So we knew the car’s history. She didn’t have any of the issues normally associated with an X with the exception of replacing the rear tires just before we got it.

We’ve put almost 20k miles on the car in a little more than a year. Although she never replaced the half shafts when she owned it, it needed them. I nursed them until just before the factory warranty expired and had them replaced. We did have to replace the rear tires again at around 38k miles and the fronts (for the first time) at around 30k. The FWD seals were hitting the roof when fully open on one door and, while still under warranty, I tried to have the SC adjust the door. They opted to replace the window and seal on that side under warranty (and oddly did not adjust the door so the seal still rubs the roof slightly when fully open). We also had the trunk latch replaced under warranty.

The only “surprise “ issue that hit us was an MCU2 failure 2 days after the factory warranty expired and during the waiting period for the XCare warranty that we purchased. Tesla covered half the cost of that since it was so close to the warranty expiration.

While you have no engine or transmission to worry about, there’s a ton of other expensive things that can go wrong. I suggest you try to get a 2020 with some factory warranty left on it and budget an XCare warranty into the mix (and mark your calendar to purchase your extended warranty 30 days before the factory warranty expires).

We bought a used 2019 Raven Standard Range with about 20k miles on it a little over a year ago. We had an advantage in that we bought it off our daughter’s expiring lease (she bought a refresh X). So we knew the car’s history. She didn’t have any of the issues normally associated with an X with the exception of replacing the rear tires just before we got it.

We’ve put almost 20k miles on the car in a little more than a year. Although she never replaced the half shafts when she owned it, it needed them. I nursed them until just before the factory warranty expired and had them replaced. We did have to replace the rear tires again at around 38k miles and the fronts (for the first time) at around 30k. The FWD seals were hitting the roof when fully open on one door and, while still under warranty, I tried to have the SC adjust the door. They opted to replace the window and seal on that side under warranty (and oddly did not adjust the door so the seal still rubs the roof slightly when fully open). We also had the trunk latch replaced under warranty.

The only “surprise “ issue that hit us was an MCU2 failure 2 days after the factory warranty expired and during the waiting period for the XCare warranty that we purchased. Tesla covered half the cost of that since it was so close to the warranty expiration.

While you have no engine or transmission to worry about, there’s a ton of other expensive things that can go wrong. I suggest you try to get a 2020 with some factory warranty left on it and budget an XCare warranty into the mix (and mark your calendar to purchase your extended warranty 30 days before the factory warranty expires).
I'm also shopping for a used "Raven" Model X. Can you tell me how much the Tesla ESA costs? I have read about it on Tesla. com, I know that only original owners can purchase it, and that only a 2-year agreement is available (which is disappointing since I had a 4-year ESA on my Model S and was glad for it, even though its financial value was marginal). The website says you have to order it through the owner's phone app, which I obviously won't have access to unless/until I buy one.
Also, how much is the XCare warranty?
Thanks for any info.

I'm also shopping for a used "Raven" Model X. Can you tell me how much the Tesla ESA costs? I have read about it on Tesla. com, I know that only original owners can purchase it, and that only a 2-year agreement is available (which is disappointing since I had a 4-year ESA on my Model S and was glad for it, even though its financial value was marginal). The website says you have to order it through the owner's phone app, which I obviously won't have access to unless/until I buy one.
Also, how much is the XCare warranty?
Thanks for any info.
@David29

We are happy to get you that extended warranty for your Model X. (I too got the 4 year ESA on my Used S which Tesla no longer offers unfortunately).

Go ahead and fill out in vehicle info on our site and we can get you a quote XCare EV Protection
This is a great shopping tool as well so you can see what it would cost for varying Model X's @ different milage...
Let us know how we can help!

-Team XCare

• Informative
Reactions: David29