Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late deliveries and poor transport service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model 3 LR on January 8th. Delivery time 4-7 weeks. 6 weeks along I get a text saying 3-5 more weeks.

finally I get a call on March 5 saying it will be available for pickup on the 9th. Saturday I get a call saying it’s still in Chicago at a truck stop but Monday is still good.

Sunday I get a call that the truck driver hasn’t left the truck stop and is not returning calls.

Today Tesla called and said the driver bailed and left the trailer at that truck stop and they don’t have another driver yet.

Tesla must be using the cheapest transport available if the trucking firm they hired has drivers just walk off.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropy512
Wow! However, given the turmoil in the trucking industry this is happening a lot. A lot of drivers are saying take this job and shove it (cue the music), and walking away from the job midstream. You hear stories of trucks with refrigerated trailers being abandoned at truck stops and warehouse areas. No one notices until the refer runs out of fuel and load starts smelling.

• Informative
I wish TMC had a "WOW!" response for something like this... Informative and "like" aren't really appropriate...

Edit: @jboy210 - what turmoil? I'm curious - too few truckers leading to people being able to just walk off from a job and not get penalized?

I suspect that's not going to last long... The supply chain crunch due to COVID-19 is going to hurt the transportation industries first. Less goods being manufactured = less goods to transport = that undersupply of drivers is going to change really soon.

I wish TMC had a "WOW!" response for something like this... Informative and "like" aren't really appropriate...

Edit: @jboy210 - what turmoil? I'm curious - too few truckers leading to people being able to just walk off from a job and not get penalized?

I suspect that's not going to last long... The supply chain crunch due to COVID-19 is going to hurt the transportation industries first. Less goods being manufactured = less goods to transport = that undersupply of drivers is going to change really soon.

A lot of the issues in the trucking industry has to do with the electronic tracking that does not allow drivers to cheat and drive longer than is legal. As a results they are not making as much money per day, and away from home longer. And being away from home messes up the home life. So it builds to a point and they say screw it. It becomes it is my marriage or this job. And I can make as much managing a McDs or a Starbucks, and sleep in my own bed ever night.

There is a reason every truck on the road has "Drivers Wanted" sign on the back and promises of big money. And this problem existing long before COVID-19 and will last much beyond the crisis period.

• Informative
I ordered my Model 3 LR on January 8th. Delivery time 4-7 weeks. 6 weeks along I get a text saying 3-5 more weeks.

finally I get a call on March 5 saying it will be available for pickup on the 9th. Saturday I get a call saying it’s still in Chicago at a truck stop but Monday is still good.

Sunday I get a call that the truck driver hasn’t left the truck stop and is not returning calls.

Today Tesla called and said the driver bailed and left the trailer at that truck stop and they don’t have another driver yet.

Tesla must be using the cheapest transport available if the trucking firm they hired has drivers just walk off.

So I’m pretty sure the driver didn’t bail. Apparently Chicago is a big hub for drivers delivering to east coast. One driver drops a bunch of cars off at the Hub and they await further transport via another driver. This is likely what you’ve encountered I can only assume. I am having the same issue at this point. Delayed in Chicago. 2 days so far.

I'm scheduled to pick up my car in KC next week on the 18th. I was out today and stopped by the store because my VIN still hadn't officially shown up. It was only in source and I wanted to verify it before I called the insurance company. The SA said the car was in transport to Chicago now. I hope the mess there doesn't delay everyone in KC. I mentioned people reporting problems with bottlenecks in Chicago and the SA wasn't aware of anything. That doesn't mean anything though, she may not have known.

I also mentioned it was crazy that our cars had to go to Chicago then back to KC. She said they tried to get KC to be a hub but obviously that wasn't successful.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to pick up my car in KC next week on the 11th. I was out today and stopped by the store because my VIN still hadn't officially shown up. It was only in source and I wanted to verify it before I called the insurance company. The SA said the car was in transport to Chicago now. I hope the mess there doesn't delay everyone in KC. I mentioned people reporting problems with bottlenecks in Chicago and the SA wasn't aware of anything. That doesn't mean anything though, she may not have known.

I also mentioned it was crazy that our cars had to go to Chicago then back to KC. She said they tried to get KC to be a hub but obviously that wasn't successful.

i wonder what other cities are hubs?

Just heard from the KC guys and they tell me it's still on track to be there Friday (actually tomorrow, but they don't know what time)

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Initially I was given a pick up choice of the 17th or 18th, I had to chose 18th due to a conflict. Today the SA said that the car was scheduled to arrive on the morning of the 18th. So maybe there already was a delay with my shipment since the 17th was originally an option. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just heard from the KC guys and they tell me it's still on track to be there Friday (actually tomorrow, but they don't know what time)
Great! I'm scheduled for Friday at 12:30 to pick up. I wanted a time slot early/mid day in case there are issues that gives the service center time to repair before closing that day and I need to drive 3 hours back to home. They have not updated me on status but I just emailed the delivery + SA.

Got a call yesterday afternoon and picked it up yesterday evening. Was originally scheduled for delivery here in NYC 3/10 but got delayed in Chicago. Went over the car with a fine toothed comb and found one tiny paint chip, which they put into the system to schedule touch up for. Added bonus - their paint shop is near my house so I can walk.

The car is awesome and was totally worth the wait! Everything works great.

Was originally scheduled to pick mine up in TX today, but was called earlier in the week and told it would push to Sunday. Can't get them to confirm where the car is or if Sunday is still happening (one rep under her breath said they should have pushed me out further...)

Anxious for information, as has been the norm through this whole process :p