Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawrence supercharger change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it might be nice to have slower supercharing at times. Think of a year from now when all of these SCs are up and running. You go to Sherway to do your Christmas shopping. You plug in to the SC and go into the mall. If it is going to take you a couple of hours to shop, and to have a bite to eat in the mall, then you don't want to run out and move your car from an SC spot to another spot, especially if spots are wickedly hard to find as is often the case in December.

p.s. This would NEVER happen to me as I do almost all of my shopping online and when I go to a mall I am in and out. lickety-split.

I one hundred percent vehemently disagree with your views on this.
Do you realize how inconvenient it is to leave your supper table to go out and unplug and then move the car? Wow!
Also, most restaurants or at least a lot of them, are not fast food joints near the Superchargers. A lot of us enjoy having a nice meal!

I don't think you you understand the point of super chargers.... you need faster L2

I think it might be nice to have slower supercharing at times. Think of a year from now when all of these SCs are up and running. You go to Sherway to do your Christmas shopping. You plug in to the SC and go into the mall. If it is going to take you a couple of hours to shop, and to have a bite to eat in the mall, then you don't want to run out and move your car from an SC spot to another spot, especially if spots are wickedly hard to find as is often the case in December.
I thought we won't be able to charge at Sherway/Vaughn Mills/anywhere around Christmas because all the spots will be 'iced'?

Reactions: mrElbe
I don't think you you understand the point of super chargers.... you need faster L2
No, I use Superchargers a lot, especially when travelling, and mostly I want to get in and out fast but there are times when you need to eat and charge and I’m damned if I’m going to leave my dinner and move the car!
END of discussion as it is quite clear some of you just don’t understand my point at all!

But I think the behaviour at Superchargers at a large indoor shopping mall will be different than the behaviour at a SC close to the highway with only a couple of fast food joints around - which were what we have been used to until now. At the latter you really have no desire to be there for more than 30 minutes or so, but that isn't the case with the former.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
Yes yes you're the disagree champion. We'll make you a belt.

You realise youre arguing with multiple people, advocating slower charging times right? Are you joking?

Maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard on an electric car forum.
Hardly! I use Supercharging a lot. Occasionally, I need to eat and will not run out to my car to unplug while eating. Your response has got to be the most ludicrous I've ever seen!

I just fail to comprehend some of the ridiculous answers people write! I was just explaining a reason for occasional longer charging at a Supercharger while enjoying a meal and some of you act like children in the way you respond. Enough!

Drone you just need to find your sense of humour. You may feel your opinion isn't being respected, but please look in a mirror and realize you're not respecting everyone else's opinions. It's very clear that pretty much everyone disagrees with you about slower Superchargers.

How about: If you don't like your meal to be interrupted, then charge after you're done eating.

Like I said, I only ever use a Supercharger when I'm going somewhere. The last thing I want to do is slow down the trip and sit around waiting longer. It makes sense to have the lower powered Superchargers at a downtown mall for tourists. On a highway a thousand kilometers from home... NOPE!

Also Tesla has said they won't charge idling fees if the site isn't half full.

Drone you just need to find your sense of humour. You may feel your opinion isn't being respected, but please look in a mirror and realize you're not respecting everyone else's opinions. It's very clear that pretty much everyone disagrees with you about slower Superchargers.

How about: If you don't like your meal to be interrupted, then charge after you're done eating.

Like I said, I only ever use a Supercharger when I'm going somewhere. The last thing I want to do is slow down the trip and sit around waiting longer. It makes sense to have the lower powered Superchargers at a downtown mall for tourists. On a highway a thousand kilometers from home... NOPE!

Doug, I understand your post even though I don’t agree with it entirely.
I never thought a simple post about charging and eating would cause a firestorm among readers. Certainly was not my intention.
I did explain that I normally want to charge and go but sometimes, such as Kingston, I need to eat a full meal as I make my way to Montreal. Yes, I know there are no idling charges if SC traffic isn’t busy but sometimes it is and other spots could be too!
I find no humour in this!
I was just trying to explain the benefits of supercharging while eating, that’s all! Isn’t this the reason Sc’s are built next to eateries in the first place?

I never thought a simple post about charging and eating would cause a firestorm among readers. Certainly was not my intention.
I did explain that I normally want to charge and go but sometimes, such as Kingston, I need to eat a full meal as I make my way to Montreal. Yes, I know there are no idling charges if SC traffic isn’t busy but sometimes it is and other spots could be too!
I find no humour in this!
I was just trying to explain the benefits of supercharging while eating, that’s all! Isn’t this the reason Sc’s are built next to eateries in the first place?

I've stopped at one particular NY Supercharger several times now. I have to cross a busy road and walk a fair distance to get to the closest restaurant: a Taco Bell. Yum. There's a perfectly good restaurant in the parking lot's hotel... but it's only open for supper hours, and I'm always there at lunch. On the other hand, the car is always ready when I get back.

Another Supercharger I've visited a couple of times in NY has only a crappy pizza place. I eat the crappy pizza, wander back to the car, and sit there another half hour for the car to finish charging. And that's on a fast supercharger.

Overall, I'd really rather they were fast. If I want fine dining I'll do that at my destination.

I agree with this sentiment, but due to the fact that I have a "classic" Model S with A-pack battery that Supercharges slower, some of this is moot for me. I rarely see anything close to the 90 kW my car is supposed to be able to take, and usually it is 50 kW or less even when the battery is well under 50% SOC.If I'm above 50%, there is no difference between a 50 kW CHAdeMO and a Supercharger for me.

The idle fee thing is sort of weird how they implement it: I plugged in at Barrie one time and was the only car there. I knew I had about an hour to charge (see above about my old-school battery) and so went to a restaurant about a 10 minute walk away. Service was slow, and mid-way through my meal, I got a noticed that my car had finished and idle fees were being incurred. It had been about an hour. I slid the charge to 100% and re-started it. Felt bad, but it was a LONG walk back to the car and I was still eating. When I got back, the station was more than 50% full, but there were empty spots.

Curious to know when the idle fees accrue: Does the station have to be > 50% full when you plug in? > 50% full when the car finishes? Or do the fees only accrue for the minutes your car is plugged in and not charging only when the station is > 50% full? (i.e. if all the other cars leave, but you're still plugged in, is the clock still running?).

BTW, never did get billed for that session in Barrie.

Absolutely in the same situation I'd move the slider to 100%. It takes forever for a full charge to complete, even at a Supercharger.

I suspect Tesla errs on the side of not charging you idle fees. It's not worth the complaints. On the other hand if the site is 100% full, they should charge you.

Reactions: mrElbe
I just fail to comprehend some of the ridiculous answers people write! I was just explaining a reason for occasional longer charging at a Supercharger while enjoying a meal and some of you act like children in the way you respond. Enough!
well, just leave your car at teh supercharger.

For one, it takes ages to get the last few miles of charge
For two, if it gets full, and then 5 minutes go by and you're charged a modest idle fee, so be it. Unless the supercharger is full, block the spot and pay $5 fine or whatever it is and you're fine.

The point being most of the time we use superchargers we are doing so because we want quick range to continue a long journey. We can charge at home if we're just 'going to the mall' or 'out to eat'. So rather than slowing down superchargers for the less than common 'I wish it would take longer' just eat a $5 idle fee and move on.

in fact you disagreed with it. Again. As I said...the disagree champion.

You have disagreed with more posts in this thread alone than I've seen disagreed with in a week reading on the site. And of your 750 posts, you've earned yourself 250 disagrees. Sensing a trend here...!