Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking door seals, 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my new (Dec 2016) Model S, 90D, after our much appreciated Pacific rain storms, I am finding excessive amounts of water inside all four door frames. Water is soaked into the final rubber seal before the cabin, so much so that its dripping out of the seals after I wipe them all down. There is also a lot of condensation building up on the door past the last seal.

Does anyone else have problems with the door seals? Is this just another example of the poor fit and finish of these fantastic cars?

I have an appointment to fix, wheel alignment, door trim alignment, LTE radio reception issue, so I will add this seal problem to the list as well.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
Sorry for the delay, By past the last seal, i mean, if one moves from outside the car to inside the car, you will encounter several seals. The last seal, before one enter the cabin, is the seal that had the final job of locking out, noise, dust, air, and water. Past that seal, you would be in the cabin.

Tesla Service reports not issues with the seals and cannot reproduce the problem. We need another heavy rain storm here, please. They did do something at a B pillar seal to bolster it, but not sure specifically what they did.

J

Yes mine leaks like yours. In the rain if you put your finger on the window seal you will get wet. It's quite pathetic for a car in this price range. My triangle window also leaks in an automatic touchless car wash. The seal for the HEPA filter is also crap, basically cushy weatherstripping. Mine was curled over from the factory. The seals are also uneven on the driver and passenger side.

Yes mine leaks like yours. In the rain if you put your finger on the window seal you will get wet. It's quite pathetic for a car in this price range. My triangle window also leaks in an automatic touchless car wash. The seal for the HEPA filter is also crap, basically cushy weatherstripping. Mine was curled over from the factory. The seals are also uneven on the driver and passenger side.
So is this window leak something the SC can fix? I haven't brought it to their attention yet, since we just took delivery late December. Waiting for more issues to come up before doing that, but really hoping for no more! :confused:

The problem is although there are some bigger leaks on my car, I'm worried that any adjustment they do will simply make a new leak. The car needs a complete redesign with more attention to proper door seals, frunk seals, trunk seals, cabin filter seals. If something else needs attention I'll let the SC tackle the triangle window at least. If you're coming from a luxury German car, you're not going to be happy with the build quality on a Tesla. It's worse than Toyota or Honda or Ford, but better than Saturn.

Here is an image of my front driver door after a moderate rain and 15min of highway driving in the rain. Water is streaming from the last door seal, above the door sill (not shown). SC could find not issue with the seals. I must agree with oktane, we simply don't have tight sealing of a luxury German car, yet still I am happy with the Model S.

After looking around the seals, I just noticed further issues with the leather door panels (second and third image). I had not noticed these lines until now on the drivers door. Maybe there is water intrusion into the door. Another trip to the service center, two weeks for an appointment to refix the wheel alignment, so hopefully they can address this latest issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5288.JPG
    IMG_5288.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 297
Although I have not had this issue on my car, I believe there is a tilt angel issue on the window of the door. As seen on the @jdc1 first photo there are rubber grommets covering adjusting bolts for the angle of the window rail - giving possibility to set the firmness of the window against doorframe seal. Worth a try.

Last edited: