TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Leaking door seals, 2016 Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jdc1, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jdc1

jdc1 Member

With my new (Dec 2016) Model S, 90D, after our much appreciated Pacific rain storms, I am finding excessive amounts of water inside all four door frames. Water is soaked into the final rubber seal before the cabin, so much so that its dripping out of the seals after I wipe them all down. There is also a lot of condensation building up on the door past the last seal.

Does anyone else have problems with the door seals? Is this just another example of the poor fit and finish of these fantastic cars?

I have an appointment to fix, wheel alignment, door trim alignment, LTE radio reception issue, so I will add this seal problem to the list as well.

• Love x 1
  2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Weird, not seeing this behaviour with my similar vintage vehicle in similarly rainy Vancouver.

3. jdc1

jdc1 Member

Thanks for the report from Vancouver. I will update with any remarks from Tesla service tomorrow.

4. proxy

proxy Member

What does that mean? "Past the last seal"?

I have noticed more condensation than I've had in previous cars, although I haven't had any leakage, despite NorCal heavy rain.

5. jdc1

jdc1 Member

Sorry for the delay, By past the last seal, i mean, if one moves from outside the car to inside the car, you will encounter several seals. The last seal, before one enter the cabin, is the seal that had the final job of locking out, noise, dust, air, and water. Past that seal, you would be in the cabin.

Tesla Service reports not issues with the seals and cannot reproduce the problem. We need another heavy rain storm here, please. They did do something at a B pillar seal to bolster it, but not sure specifically what they did.

J

6. TessLi

TessLi Member

Would going to a touchless car wash replicate similar conditions, rather than wait for another deluge? That's how I found out my new MS has a tiny leak in the front-seat windows, near the small triangular glass.

• Informative x 1
  7. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes mine leaks like yours. In the rain if you put your finger on the window seal you will get wet. It's quite pathetic for a car in this price range. My triangle window also leaks in an automatic touchless car wash. The seal for the HEPA filter is also crap, basically cushy weatherstripping. Mine was curled over from the factory. The seals are also uneven on the driver and passenger side.

8. TessLi

TessLi Member

So is this window leak something the SC can fix? I haven't brought it to their attention yet, since we just took delivery late December. Waiting for more issues to come up before doing that, but really hoping for no more! :confused:

9. eddiemac

eddiemac Member

I had significant air leakage on mine from the same era. When I took it in, they seemed to be aware of the issue and the door adjustment seems to have done the job. Just take it in.

10. oktane

oktane Active Member

The problem is although there are some bigger leaks on my car, I'm worried that any adjustment they do will simply make a new leak. The car needs a complete redesign with more attention to proper door seals, frunk seals, trunk seals, cabin filter seals. If something else needs attention I'll let the SC tackle the triangle window at least. If you're coming from a luxury German car, you're not going to be happy with the build quality on a Tesla. It's worse than Toyota or Honda or Ford, but better than Saturn.

11. jdc1

jdc1 Member

Here is an image of my front driver door after a moderate rain and 15min of highway driving in the rain. Water is streaming from the last door seal, above the door sill (not shown). SC could find not issue with the seals. I must agree with oktane, we simply don't have tight sealing of a luxury German car, yet still I am happy with the Model S.

After looking around the seals, I just noticed further issues with the leather door panels (second and third image). I had not noticed these lines until now on the drivers door. Maybe there is water intrusion into the door. Another trip to the service center, two weeks for an appointment to refix the wheel alignment, so hopefully they can address this latest issue.

Attached Files: